Scores and rankings Top 10 Teams - Analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what the difference are.

If you took Pearce over Ibbo, you are only 42 points better off so far, nothing to brag about.

But if you took McDonald over Ibbo, your 358 better off. If you took Mundy over Barlow, Steven over Swallow, Fyfe over Selwood you would be stoked.

But there was nothing wrong with taking Swallow over Steven, Barlow over Mundy or Selwood over Fyfe atr the start of the season, some people just made the right choice and got a little lucky and others didn't.

It doesn't take much.
As an aside, you watching game 1 of the ECF? JR Smith is in total beast mode from behind the arc.

As a further aside, your Supercoach posts in general are absolute quality, astute and insightful.

The reason I have looked closely at these teams is that I hope to join them or beat them at some stage. You cant do that unless you know what your up against.

Yes these teams have been lucky in both the initial selection and the rookie/captains selection so far. We all have horror stories about the tons sitting on the bench and the 150 captains we missed out on. But this more about seeing what they have and making plans to catch or beat them.

And they are catchable (I hope)

Here is why.
1. Many of them have had loophole (zero scoring) players on each line. These players have been handy in getting big scores but I think they will become less relevant as we all get to a more premium playing group. This is except for keeping one for say a Captains loophole. These players have earned no cash for them and as such the team values are down. I know personally I have higher team value than all but two of the top 10 teams. This should mean we have more cash to spend on the premiums come the Byes.
These non scoring players also offer little in the way of downgrading as as rule they will be purely sideways trades or stuck on bench all season. They are also risking donuts with so many of these players

2. Every single one of these teams has a various number of those spuds we all wish we didnt pick at the start of the season.

3. They are at the top and who knows what they might do to stay there, some will take bigger risks to stay there and fail, others will be to conservative with their trades and fail. Its a fine balance, I dont know what the right balance is and I dont think they would either. Half have taken the Mitchell risk and the other half haven't. Who know how many will jump on Rocky and when. (not saying either is right or wrong)

4. We know what we are chasing and can plan to it, cover where we need to cover and take pods they don't have. They dont know what those chasing will have as there are so many possibles its not funny.

5. There is alot of luck in this game, a few injuries at the wrong times, a few donuts, the right rookies come along at the right time etc etc. Who knows what is going to happen.

6. Im not sure some of them have got their Bye rounds structured well. Some will come a down a few pegs there for sure. (Not that I have it right yet either)

Anyway just my thoughts on them for now. I will be keeping a eye on them to see whats going on and hopefully that helps me plan a way to catch them.

BTW I had 16 of those 17 players listed in the original post too. I have no idea how many trades each of these top teams has used up to get there. Im not sure if there is a way to work it out but even if there was I dont quiet have that amount of time to do so.

I am ranked 170th, and have done nothing too unique or different. I have been pretty lucky, such as trading Salem out in round 3, trading Hogan out before this week, and I have just picked the right rookies who all made cash without being injured. All my premo's were standard, except for Griffin. Maybe Sam Fisher and Ibbotson were PODs.

As an aside, you watching game 1 of the ECF? JR Smith is in total beast mode from behind the arc.

As a further aside, your Supercoach posts in general are absolute quality, astute and insightful.

I think im going to cry, thats the nicest thing you have ever said to me. :p.

And no im not watching the game, im stuck at work, so just watching the stats.

But yeah JR looks to be killing it, 33 min off the bench.

Cavs look to be playing small with JR and Delly getting heaps of minutes off the bench

I am ranked 170th, and have done nothing too unique or different. I have been pretty lucky, such as trading Salem out in round 3, trading Hogan out before this week, and I have just picked the right rookies who all made cash without being injured. All my premo's were standard, except for Griffin. Maybe Sam Fisher and Ibbotson were PODs.
How is trading Salem out in Rd 3 lucky? The blokes up $130k, has potential to make more, and only had one horrific score. And is now PERFECT for a captaincy loophole until his bye.

What starting FWD rookie has done better besides Hogan, Clark and Lonie? (and id say they're no better)

Salem has been great for me.

The reason I have looked closely at these teams is that I hope to join them or beat them at some stage. You cant do that unless you know what your up against.

Yes these teams have been lucky in both the initial selection and the rookie/captains selection so far. We all have horror stories about the tons sitting on the bench and the 150 captains we missed out on. But this more about seeing what they have and making plans to catch or beat them.

And they are catchable (I hope)

Here is why.
1. Many of them have had loophole (zero scoring) players on each line. These players have been handy in getting big scores but I think they will become less relevant as we all get to a more premium playing group. This is except for keeping one for say a Captains loophole. These players have earned no cash for them and as such the team values are down. I know personally I have higher team value than all but two of the top 10 teams. This should mean we have more cash to spend on the premiums come the Byes.
These non scoring players also offer little in the way of downgrading as as rule they will be purely sideways trades or stuck on bench all season. They are also risking donuts with so many of these players

2. Every single one of these teams has a various number of those spuds we all wish we didnt pick at the start of the season.

3. They are at the top and who knows what they might do to stay there, some will take bigger risks to stay there and fail, others will be to conservative with their trades and fail. Its a fine balance, I dont know what the right balance is and I dont think they would either. Half have taken the Mitchell risk and the other half haven't. Who know how many will jump on Rocky and when. (not saying either is right or wrong)

4. We know what we are chasing and can plan to it, cover where we need to cover and take pods they don't have. They dont know what those chasing will have as there are so many possibles its not funny.

5. There is alot of luck in this game, a few injuries at the wrong times, a few donuts, the right rookies come along at the right time etc etc. Who knows what is going to happen.

6. Im not sure some of them have got their Bye rounds structured well. Some will come a down a few pegs there for sure. (Not that I have it right yet either)

Anyway just my thoughts on them for now. I will be keeping a eye on them to see whats going on and hopefully that helps me plan a way to catch them.

BTW I had 16 of those 17 players listed in the original post too. I have no idea how many trades each of these top teams has used up to get there. Im not sure if there is a way to work it out but even if there was I dont quiet have that amount of time to do so.
Good post, I too had 16 of the 17(traded out Vandenberg this week and took Read over Cox). Will be interesting to see how people go around the byes.

17/17 in that list.

Sitting 2221 overall currently.

Backline has hurt me dearly (Newnes, Simmo, Hurn) aswell as a couple of poor captain/rookie choices

Depends what the difference are.

If you took Pearce over Ibbo, you are only 42 points better off so far, nothing to brag about.

But if you took McDonald over Ibbo, your 358 better off. If you took Mundy over Barlow, Steven over Swallow, Fyfe over Selwood you would be stoked.

But there was nothing wrong with taking Swallow over Steven, Barlow over Mundy or Selwood over Fyfe atr the start of the season, some people just made the right choice and got a little lucky and others didn't.

It doesn't take much.

Totally agree but I was more heading down the mid price trap as a whole!

Macmillan & a goodes as opposed to the solid rookie & guns strategy. People head back to mid priced with high hopes every year but it rarely comes out favorably.

Who else was a speculative mid this year? Ibbo, wells, luey, garlett, rich? Yeah some can be seen as ok but they are very very rarely a top ten player. In turn a stop gap with an awkward price point to start & still a burnt trade up.

Who has been a mid price gun in years gone by? Trying to think of any off the top of my noggin.

Totally agree but I was more heading down the mid price trap as a whole!

Macmillan & a goodes as opposed to the solid rookie & guns strategy. People head back to mid priced with high hopes every year but it rarely comes out favorably.

Who else was a speculative mid this year? Ibbo, wells, luey, garlett, rich? Yeah some can be seen as ok but they are very very rarely a top ten player. In turn a stop gap with an awkward price point to start & still a burnt trade up.

Who has been a mid price gun in years gone by? Trying to think of any off the top of my noggin.

Couldn't agree more.

And thats where the luck argument comes into play. Half of the mid pricers we talked up as options pre-season are nowhere, and half of the mid pricers that have actually worked out, were not on anyones radar.

The guns and rookie stratergy is proven. I dont see anything wrong with having one or 2 mid pricers, but anymore, unless your lucky, you are just screwing yourself.

I cant help but laugh when you see the same guys venting in the regrets thread about a mid pricer, and then gloating in the 'Nailed It' thread about another. You cant hedge your bets with Mid Pricers and bring in 5 or 6 hoping half of them come good.

I also think, because of the backs this year, people used it as an excuse to justify more mid pricers. I took one in the backline in Newnes, the rest were, at the time, premos or rookies (Hibberd can suck my left nut).

The guys that planned for the long haul with the correct rookie's and selected the right premos are the ones that will still be up the top towards the end, half those teams there now dont have any cash generation and will fall over in the coming weeks.

Couldn't agree more.

And thats where the luck argument comes into play. Half of the mid pricers we talked up as options pre-season are nowhere, and half of the mid pricers that have actually worked out, were not on anyones radar.

The guns and rookie stratergy is proven. I dont see anything wrong with having one or 2 mid pricers, but anymore, unless your lucky, you are just screwing yourself.

I cant help but laugh when you see the same guys venting in the regrets thread about a mid pricer, and then gloating in the 'Nailed It' thread about another. You cant hedge your bets with Mid Pricers and bring in 5 or 6 hoping half of them come good.

I also think, because of the backs this year, people used it as an excuse to justify more mid pricers. I took one in the backline in Newnes, the rest were, at the time, premos or rookies (Hibberd can suck my left nut).

The guys that planned for the long haul with the correct rookie's and selected the right premos are the ones that will still be up the top towards the end, half those teams there now dont have any cash generation and will fall over in the coming weeks.

Might have to look in the nailed it & venting thread have never had a look!

I think I had Yarran, lumumba, goodes Macmillan & ibbo in & out of my team preseason. Thankfully my brain clicked & said no! Jordan Russell memories.

Might have to look in the nailed it & venting thread have never had a look!

I think I had Yarran, lumumba, goodes Macmillan & ibbo in & out of my team preseason. Thankfully my brain clicked & said no! Jordan Russell memories.

Why am I not surprised you haven't been in the regrets thread Mr. 49!

Lol. Yeah my only regret is 3 weeks of sloane in spaz mode!

I have that regret as well, and to make it worse, I couldn't even visit the nail it thread to gloat about having him the first 3 rounds.

Well thats depressed me now, I think its time for a beer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this thread. I find it so interesting.

But, as I'm the guy sitting in 10th. I hate hearing the confidence that we're going to be run down. Naturally, it's a long season, and things are going to change - but I'm of the opinion that I'm as good a chance as anyone at the moment.

I don't really see the arguments about the lack of cash generation. Hamling and Cox have been my only long-term non-playing rookies though.

I've made plenty of cash on CEY, Cripps, Heeney, Lonie, Oxley, Saad, Miller, Hogan, Tarrant, AVB, Krakour etc. etc.

Guys at the top are equally as able to trade in new rookies as guys ranked 10-1000 are.

I wish you all great luck, and, I'm sure I'll slowly drift away from the top 10, but I'm going to be fighting hard to stay there.

Yeah you obviously got him the same round as me! How are you sitting overall?

Not as good as you, sitting at 5K at the moment after dropping 2K in the last 2 weeks.

Happy with my team for the most part, just not all of them at the same time.

I didn't realise you brought in Sloane the same time, thought you had the luck to start with him. I actually feel better about it now.

I love this thread. I find it so interesting.

But, as I'm the guy sitting in 10th. I hate hearing the confidence that we're going to be run down. Naturally, it's a long season, and things are going to change - but I'm of the opinion that I'm as good a chance as anyone at the moment.

I don't really see the arguments about the lack of cash generation. Hamling and Cox have been my only long-term non-playing rookies though.

I've made plenty of cash on CEY, Cripps, Heeney, Lonie, Oxley, Saad, Miller, Hogan, Tarrant, AVB, Krakour etc. etc.

Guys at the top are equally as able to trade in new rookies as guys ranked 10-1000 are.

I wish you all great luck, and, I'm sure I'll slowly drift away from the top 10, but I'm going to be fighting hard to stay there.

I've had a look, don't stress we will cover them lol

Not as good as you, sitting at 5K at the moment after dropping 2K in the last 2 weeks.

Happy with my team for the most part, just not all of them at the same time.

I didn't realise you brought in Sloane the same time, thought you had the luck to start with him. I actually feel better about it now.

Nah I was on the unfortunate gaz to Sloane bandwagon too s**t happens

Couldn't agree more.

Yep, will be my 3rd year next year and I think I'll be going pure premo / rookies unless I'm absolutely dead sure on the mid-pricer ie. Higgins last year, Jong this year. They're just not worth it otherwise. Newnes & Goodes so frustrating this year.

Yep, will be my 3rd year next year and I think I'll be going pure premo / rookies unless I'm absolutely dead sure on the mid-pricer ie. Higgins last year, Jong this year. They're just not worth it otherwise. Newnes & Goodes so frustrating this year.

Newnes may be coming good. Fingers crossed.

Here's the "count" for the top 100 most popular SC players.

I've collated the teams all the way to #49, I stopped with our very own raymagoo

My defensive make up of Burgoyne, McIntosh, Ibbotson, Pittard, Hamling and Whitecross -- with Oxley and McKenzie + Hodge and Saad in the middle is veeeery strange and doesn't fill me with confidence.

I should probably get Shaw and McDonald in asap.

I'm surprised that McDonald was only in 14 teams.

Sharing the data with you all as I think the discussion will offer more value than the data.

The players below are listed in order of SC popularity -- that in itself will offer you some insight.

upload_2015-5-21_21-13-33.png

I've collated the teams all the way to #49, I stopped with our very own raymagoo

My defensive make up of Burgoyne, McIntosh, Ibbotson, Pittard, Hamling and Whitecross -- with Oxley and McKenzie + Hodge and Saad in the middle is veeeery strange and doesn't fill me with confidence.

Sharing the data with you all as I think the discussion will offer more value than the data.

The players below are listed in order of SC popularity -- that in itself will offer you some insight.

View attachment 136567

Nice!

View attachment 136567

I have a heap of very low & a heap of very high! Very surprised by budwa & mumsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back