Richmond vs Essendon: How big is the rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch1Brown

Sporg Brennan
Oct 27, 2013
Tigerland!
AFL Club
Richmond
Ahead of the Dreamtime game in 2 weeks time I found myself wondering how big our rivalry was with Essendon. Growing up I was always told that we were big rivals the Bombers, but recently all I've heard people talk about concerning Richmond's rivalries is with Carlton and Collingwood. Surely it must have some sort of significance because we play in the 2nd biggest game of the year.

So how big is the Richmond v Essendon rivalry? Can anyone explain it's significance?

I've always felt our joint history is a bit meh.

Oue club has had 2 massive eras...the first was mid20-late30...massive rivalry with the Pies...second was late60-early80...massive rivalry with Blues.

Bombers are despised because they are arrogant gits and this drug stuff fills us with contempt...but the passion isn't there for me.

I think after the Pies/Blues, we probably go IMHO with the next outfit despised. The jokers I can't stand after those two are Melbourne...really really despise that club

It's probably our third biggest rivalry. Historically Carlton would be #1, 1921, '32, '69, '72, '73, '82 grand final playoffs, the opening round fixture.

Collingwood #2 given proximity (Punt Rd./Hoddle St.), 1919, '20, '27, '28, '29, '80, strength of both clubs during Great Depression years, the trading war of the '80's. We probably have most in common with Collingwood supporters from a demographic point of view.

Essendon's rivalry with Richmond is still significant though. Grand finalists in 1924, '42 and '43. Essendon's resurgence in the 1980's/90's coincided with Richmond's decline. And both clubs have been underwhelming since 2001. The 1995 semi is a classic. The Dreamtime game is seen by some as a cynical exercise just to get bums on seats (of two of the competition's biggest supporter bases), others see it as a genuinely important event on the calendar to celebrate the contribution of Aboriginal footballers. I think it can be a great fixture if we see just an ounce of success.

The impression I have after watching lots of footy over the years is that I'd go to the footy with my Collingwood supporting mates, in a group. I wouldn't do the same with Carlton and Essendon, because the bulk of their supporters come from the different side of Melbourne.

Our shocking on-field performances for 30+ years means that no other genuine rivalries have developed, unfortunately. North (winning 15 of our last 50 games), Hawthorn (winning 18 of our last 50) and Geelong (winning 9 of our last 50) in particular have smashed us so often that the rivalries haven't developed.

Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon supporters would each see Richmond as the 4th most important rivalry. In fact Essendon would probably have Hawthorn as a more relevant modern rival than Richmond.

Apart from the peptide bullshit storm, I don't give them much thought at all.
Historically, I can't think of any period where both clubs were up and about at the same time.
No finals history, no bitter rivalry....just the dreamtime game which is more of a celebratory event than a rivalry.

Last edited:
It's really not much of a rivalry.

The DT game is because of Sheedy, having already setup the ANZAC game between Ess and C'wood was looking for something else and his old club made the colours work, nothing to do with anything particular between the clubs.

Personally this is one of the biggest (if not biggest) rivalry's of our club. First of all for years growing up I had to deal with Essendon's success and arrogant supporters while we struggled through the 90s. Now as we are starting to become a strong club they have taken all the spotlight away from us even ruining our first finals campaign in 12 years with their cheating.

I think Dreamtime has also built a strong rivalry. For example I was in the pisser and some dickhead was saying s**t and I said something back (pisser was packed too as per usual) and then he kept going like a big hero, and when I thought I was dealing with the biggest dickhead alive in a toilet full of blokes more worried about getting their business done so they could hit more beers a bloke steps back and sticks up the tiges... Intimated the Essendon ******** who thought he owned the room because he wouldn't stop running his mouth and thought everyone was backing him up. It was almost like every tiger in room was eying him off...

bit of a gay story but the tension was ever present.

Personally this is one of the biggest (if not biggest) rivalry's of our club. First of all for years growing up I had to deal with Essendon's success and arrogant supporters while we struggled through the 90s. Now as we are starting to become a strong club they have taken all the spotlight away from us even ruining our first finals campaign in 12 years with their cheating.

I think Dreamtime has also built a strong rivalry. For example I was in the pisser and some dickhead was saying s**t and I said something back (pisser was packed too as per usual) and then he kept going like a big hero, and when I thought I was dealing with the biggest dickhead alive in a toilet full of blokes more worried about getting their business done so they could hit more beers a bloke steps back and sticks up the tiges... Intimated the Essendon ******** who thought he owned the room because he wouldn't stop running his mouth and thought everyone was backing him up. It was almost like every tiger in room was eying him off...

bit of a gay story but the tension was ever present.
Super gay, dude.

You could make a case for a "rivalry" with Essendon easily, but it's just a tacky term to build atmosphere. Richmond have in reality 17 rivals at the moment.

Seriously though the successful eras have never really lined up.

Richmond sucked during the Sheedy years, Essendon sucked during the Hafey years. Richmond were crud when Coleman won his 2 flags as coach, and missed the finals when he was a player in 49/50. Bombers weren't much chop during the depression when the Tigers made 7 GFs in 8 years.

You have to go back to WW2 to find an era where both clubs were strong. As a result, there hasn't been as much hatred between the two clubs as there is when either of them play Carlton or Collingwood.

It doesn't exist, only media hype mostly because of Sheedy being a Richmond player before coaching Essendon and the numerous attempts (real or otherwise) of the Tigers to poach him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the reason we play this match is the 2 clubs colors combined make up the indigenous flag hence highlight of indigenous round
200.gif

In my extended family this is the rivalry. I come from a family of Essendon supporters. Every uncle. Every cousin. Every aunt. Every cousins kid. My mother. My father. My sisters and my brother. All support this mob. Except me.

It's truly why I firmly believe we are born Tigers. I was given everything as a child to become an Essendon fan. I never went there once I could make my own decisions.

Given they have won 4 flags in my lifetime to Richmond have played 4 finals, I wouldn't trade it for the world. So for me and my huge family, this is the one. They love to get one over me. I enjoy this win more than any other.

But on a wider Scale It's not a significant rivalry. Hasn't been in my lifetime. I thought it might develop after 1995 draw and semi but we went s**t once Northey departed again.

I hate these pricks, especially after this drug saga more than anything else.

Ive actually thought that Collingwood vs Essendon is a bit of a beat up too. Its only a rivalry due to ANZAC day. Have a look at the return fixture - not generally memorable except that its two bit clubs playing.

Essendon have an elitist attitude, that they are superior to everyone else. Its helped them on the field, helped keep unity through the asada scandal, but keeps them seperate and distant for rivalry purposes.

Their is a bit there with the Blues due to their finals match ups, and the hawks is definitely devloping.

Ive actually thought that Collingwood vs Essendon is a bit of a beat up too. Its only a rivalry due to ANZAC day. Have a look at the return fixture - not generally memorable except that its two bit clubs playing.

Essendon have an elitist attitude, that they are superior to everyone else. Its helped them on the field, helped keep unity through the asada scandal, but keeps them seperate and distant for rivalry purposes.

Their is a bit there with the Blues due to their finals match ups, and the hawks is definitely devloping.
Essendrugs have no real rivalry. The Carltoon one is a 90s thing, before the 90s it was like GWS playing Sydney.

The Collingwood one isn't a rivalry, it's Anzac day. Nothing existed here before Anzac day.

and the Hawthorn one is just an 80s grand final thing, like Sydney and Hawthorn is today. Means nothing.

Conclusion: Essendon has no real rivals. Richmond has 2 true rivalries that will explode if we and the other 2 mobs have success at any time in the future

The only recent thing would be the coaches.
Knights, Sheeds, Dimma.
But I couldn't really give a * about Essendon anymore. But want to smash them. I'm sure that feeling goes for the fans of every other club though.
But growing up as a kid I was always taught specifically to hate Collingwood and hate Carlton.
Probably hate Carlton the most these days.

They aren't really a rival borne out of anything on field .
Not even the windy hill brawl in 74.
It's more so that everyone hates them because they have easily the most uneducated,spoilt,******* supporter base.

When Bruthe could actually call a game
Greatest piece of commentary ever made by Bruce is in the drawn game.

"Bond comes in,does it magnificently,Elliot couldn't control it,Dundas's little gift to Bond,here's a go!,Bond to Maxfield,go and kick the goal Stewy,straighten it up,bang it home,IT'S A BEEAAUUTYY!,THEY'RE IN FRONT THE TIGES!!!"

Chilling piece of commentary.
I almost tear up listening to it.

I was at the game and had band mates urging me to go to a gig as they knew how keen of a Tiger supporter so they went to the G to fetch me lol.
I left after that goal and heard Essendon's leveller in the carpark.

Didn't know if we drew or won.
Amazing year 1995.
So many cherished memories and bad ones also(Richos knee injury at the SCG).

WE invented the BS chant that year.:D
When the umpires gave Essendon a charity run in the semi especially in the first half then the whole G chanted BULLSHIT BULLSHIT.
Still used today.

P.S. Lol the end of the tube media whinging after a Richmond win.
Somethings never,ever change.:D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back