Autopsy Round 8: Sydney vs Hawks 3 things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very proud of the effort and the fight from the team.

1. Team finally has learnt and put an 'unlike Sydney' performance behind them.
2. Consistency over 4 quarters is near impossible but we needed to make a move on Mitchell earlier and probably Smith to Rioli earlier.
3. Defence is still very vulnerable when one on ones OR when the ball is in the wrong hands. Grundy/Shaw biggest examples of this.

Shaw out Jones in would be my change (or give Cunningham or someone a full game down back).

What were you watching last night? Rioli was pretty close to being best on ground. He almost snatched it with a minute to spare. Wish he was a swan.
He is a burst player, will never get BOG by all traditional measures. Bloody scary player though

1) I didn't expect it after his performances in the last few years, but Reid is becoming a really useful player for us. Smith was great across the back too.

2) Decision making under pressure is poor. Too many players were caught holding the ball - including three in defensive 50 in a couple of minutes - and the kick-ins were really off.

3) Tippett cannot pick the ball off the ground.

What happened with McGlynn? He just disappeared. Was he moved off Mitchell for some reason?

Yep Mitchell went to Mitchell in the 4th which i thought was a key move, i didn't think i would be saying this but Longmire matched Clarko in the box last night putting McVeigh forward was a master move.

That was such a gutsy determined win one of our best.

It was kind of funny they had the Sydney disease for a large majority of the game just wasteful bombing and our defence mopped it up everytime(then proceed to turn it over from the kickins:p)

Roughead didn't go near it last night he got absolutely blanketed.

Yep Mitchell went to Mitchell in the 4th which i thought was a key move, i didn't think i would be saying this but Longmire matched Clarko in the box last night putting McVeigh forward was a master move.

That was such a gutsy determined win one of our best.
Actually Longmire was asked in his press conference about McVeigh moving forward and he said it wasn't a coaches' move but by McVeigh himself. Not sure if just being modest

Actually Longmire was asked in his press conference about McVeigh moving forward and he said it wasn't a coaches' move but by McVeigh himself. Not sure if just being modest

No, he definitely said coaches move but McPointy is smart enough to play everywhere etc etc

1. Goodes is still best 22
2. McVeigh is a very good captain
3. Mark Evans will want his money back from the umps
F'n oath, the s**t that Pennel and McInerny were coming up with was flabbergasting. That first quarter reversal for that coward Lewis biting off way more than the campaigner can chew was frustrating. But, the karma bus well and truly hit him because he did bugger all for the rest of the match, and every time he went near it there was a player ready to body slam the campaigner into the ground. Apparently he had 31 disposals for the game but I can't really remember any of them being that important.

1. Our midfielders can kick goals! Try having pot shots from 50m out lads, watch the replay of 2012 to see ;)
2. We can play bigger grounds! :eek: shocking, I know!
3. Sometimes we can play with grunt and campaigner, rather than our pedestrian gentlemanly like craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. ****
2. YOU
3. HAWTHORN
I nominate this for post of the century. It seems this sentiment transcends team colours.

Thank you Sydney:thumbsu:

My club is rebuilding and 4-4.... What's the Hawks excuse;) :D

What happened with McGlynn? He just disappeared. Was he moved off Mitchell for some reason?
Seemed to be playing in the forwards and attracted a lot of our kicks going inside 50 despite there being a mass of players in there

1) We spent another week without addressing the manner of our forward 50 entries.
2) Lloyd has to learn to deal with physically intense games, because he crumbles.
3) The team rediscovered some belief.

1. I would go a little further and add also leaving defence entries. Would be interested to see a comparison of clangers by foot for Grundy in comparison to Dunkley. Our kicking skills are poor from defence and needs to be addressed pronto.

However you hit the nail on the head. Bombing it long to Tippett or Buddy ("Judas" as named on Hawks board) will only hurt us continually unless they are one out and the kick is to their advantage.

My highlight is still Goodes being booed all day by a bunch of sooky flogs and playing his best game all year and sticking it right up them

He is a classy champion

Felt like he had some great chases too, how did he look at the ground with his defence

2. We can play bigger grounds! :eek: shocking, I know!
We play Subi without an issue. It just seems to be the G:( But as I mentioned here before, I truly believe our game against Melbourne we did nothing more than practice our structures for this game against the Hawks. Think it was crucial that we'd played on the G only two weeks before.

1. I would go a little further and add also leaving defence entries. Would be interested to see a comparison of clangers by foot for Grundy in comparison to Dunkley. Our kicking skills are poor from defence and needs to be addressed pronto.

However you hit the nail on the head. Bombing it long to Tippett or Buddy ("Judas" as named on Hawks board) will only hurt us continually unless they are one out and the kick is to their advantage.

At least with the blanketing buddy we didnt keep bombing to him for a change

We still butcher it but you could see smarter ideas in play imo

The defence wont kick to a contest if it can avoid it, gets caught up handballing then ends up with a butchered kick at times

Kicking in though was abysmal

We play Subi without an issue. It just seems to be the G:( But as I mentioned here before, I truly believe our game against Melbourne we did nothing more than practice our structures for this game against the Hawks. Think it was crucial that we'd played on the G only two weeks before.
That's what it looked like shifting Reid around a bit from wing to forward to defender and back again.

The defence wont kick to a contest if it can avoid it, gets caught up handballing then ends up with a butchered kick at times

I thought our entries and efficiency inside 50 was a lot better than previous games we actually made them count this time.

36 entries for 11 goals pretty good.

Point 2 is the key difference between us and Hawthorn. The Hawks will kick to a contest coming out of defence however will make sure that it is to the advantage of their player consistently so that they can play their forward of the ball game style.

Can we please recruit some defenders who (1) can hit targets going forward (2) are quick. Our defence appears so slow/fumbly/clumsy & I reckon half of the forward 50 delivery issues are contributed to by the defenders poor kicking placing everyone up field under pressure to quickly kick forward whilst being tackled simultaneously.

I thought our entries and efficiency inside 50 was a lot better than previous games we actually made them count this time.

36 entries for 11 goals pretty good.

We didn't really ping it in deep until the 3rd and bits of the 4th quarters. At least when we went long in for the majority of the time we were going to a contest, but there were a few shocking panicked I50s to a bunch of Hawks. At least this week it was the exception rather than the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back