Hot Topic It's Official - Bye Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree there is no easy way to sack him. And thats probably a good reason not to. He was in the last year of his contract, they just had to get him the club and the players to the end of the year, which they obviously wanted to do but ultimately couldn't.

We did not count on the lack of competiveness in the team. We did not count on the supporters staying away from games and costing us a lot of money we could not afford. We would have had a massive loss at the end of the year just so outsiders can think we looked strong. It was the line of least resistance. The strong boards hold, weak boards fold stuff .... it's just a little simplistic and a bit of a wank phrase in general.

G
Good clubs deal with their issues behind closed doors and don't let it get to that stage. Malthouse was prickly yes but Trigg going on TV and radio and enflaming the situation was like waving a red rag to a bull. Could you image Costa and Cook allowing a situation to ignite like MGL and Trigg did. Amature hour stuff.

"Don't tell me this is anything other than systemic at Carlton, and why Mick Malthouse would carry the can, he has played Carlton on a break. He engineered his sacking by making some provocative statements so he'd get paid out because he thought it was futile because they were bloody hopeless and he's just played them on a break and he's the only one laughing. Never call someone's bluff unless you know what their answer is going to be. He called their bluff and they still didn't know what he was doing" - Sam Newman about 40 mins ago.

Doesn't read very well, but you just have to imagine him saying it lol. Mick did that interview with a goal in mind, and that was to end the whole saga.

So let me get this straight...

The guy who ultimately gets Ratten out and sells the board we can win a flag, coaches 1 season saying we are in a premiership window and then cuts nearly 1/3 of the list, coaches a second season saying there's no limit to how far we can go but cuts another 1/3 of the list, then says "I can't see us losing a game" and following 2 losses slams our players saying "our players just aren't good enough", then bags the club and its administration as well because his ego won't let him keep his mouth shut and do his job in a professional manner and to the best of his ability.

And some people on here are saying we are a rabble for sacking him? WE ARE A RABBLE FOR APPOINTING HIM! I was glad when we got him and I like some of the things he did but come on! This is AFL! Top level here! He was supposed to be a proven professional, instead he proved himself to be muddled up ans past it! And now he's crapping on about what happened behind the scenes. What nonsense! I would not for a second take this man's opinion as fact. You cannot believe a single word he says.

Paulski19, does this sound like a great clubman to you? BTW Sam Newman is only on tv for the sole reason of being a complete and utter fool. His opinion is worth less than the mud under my boots.

Which members on the board thought our list was premiership material when they hired MM and were shocked that he wanted to make 15-17 list changes? Obviously zero idea about football, sack yourself immediately!

"Don't tell me this is anything other than systemic at Carlton, and why Mick Malthouse would carry the can, he has played Carlton on a break. He engineered his sacking by making some provocative statements so he'd get paid out because he thought it was futile because they were bloody hopeless and he's just played them on a break and he's the only one laughing. Never call someone's bluff unless you know what their answer is going to be. He called their bluff and they still didn't know what he was doing" - Sam Newman about 40 mins ago.

Doesn't read very well, but you just have to imagine him saying it lol. Mick did that interview with a goal in mind, and that was to end the whole saga.
Sort of like Fev at the Brownlow. That worked out well:thumbsu:

Well that's an hour of my life i'll never get back
More than happy to move on with the new and RIGHT coach in 2016
Got to laugh that the interview was an hour vs the 30 minute one he did with Gerard for his milestone.

The irony of him being the only coach in recent history to have an exclusive tell all interview after being SACKED is quite entertaining.

Not a shot at you btw, just a bit frustrated. I was a MM supporter at the start even though I didnt want Ratten gone. Can't believe we LET it happen like this...
Still, let's see if we learn from our mistakes.

So let me get this straight...

The guy who ultimately gets Ratten out and sells the board we can win a flag, coaches 1 season saying we are in a premiership window and then cuts nearly 1/3 of the list, coaches a second season saying there's no limit to how far we can go but cuts another 1/3 of the list, then says "I can't see us losing a game" and following 2 losses slams our players saying "our players just aren't good enough", then bags the club and its administration as well because his ego won't let him keep his mouth shut and do his job in a professional manner and to the best of his ability.

And some people on here are saying we are a rabble for sacking him? WE ARE A RABBLE FOR APPOINTING HIM! I was glad when we got him and I like some of the things he did but come on! This is AFL! Top level here! He was supposed to be a proven professional, instead he proved himself to be muddled up ans past it! And now he's crapping on about what happened behind the scenes. What nonsense! I would not for a second take this man's opinion as fact. You cannot believe a single word he says.

Paulski19, does this sound like a great clubman to you? BTW Sam Newman is only on tv for the sole reason of being a complete and utter fool. His opinion is worth less than the mud under my boots.

You have fallen for media bullshit not just once, but over and over again. Mick said half of those things about our list and member functions and season launches. Do you expect that he would have ever said "No, we're not contending this year, we're rubbish"? Of course not. There is what he says to the public and how he acts, and the way he acted was always about reshaping the list.

So do you think this would have gone down this way with a Costa / Cook administration. I have very little doubt it would have been handled more professionally and with dignity from all parties.

Absolutely. Geelong had a similar scenario 10 years ago with Bomber and pretty safe to say they handled it quite a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. When you bullshit people the way he bullshitted the board, the media, the public and the playing group, it's only a matter of time before people come at you with torches and pitchforks. Payback is a bitch. I only hope that people don't get sucked in by any more rubbish he says and realize he was only ever in it for one thing, himself.

After 8 rounds Geelong were 3 wins and 5 losses, with 2 of those losses by less than a goal, 2 of the wins were by more than 12 goals.

Exactly. Cats had made finals the last two years and the list was strong. Their decision was more of a shot across the bow.

We did not count on the lack of competiveness in the team. We did not count on the supporters staying away from games and costing us a lot of money we could not afford. We would have had a massive loss at the end of the year just so outsiders can think we looked strong. It was the line of least resistance. The strong boards hold, weak boards fold stuff .... it's just a little simplistic and a bit of a wank phrase in general.

They didn't count on the mental impact of the whole situation, including saying you're best 2 players aren't safe from trade, gutting the place of the will to get out of bed and go to work. Take the media blow torch and constant uncertainty out of the situation and likely the team performs differently.

Not sure how that could of been achieved but Mick was spot on when he said pre-season it'd be an issue, its just common sense. To me the solution would of been reappoint him so the media moves on then sack him at the end of the season anyway, like plenty of other clubs have done to contracted coaches. And whats to stop them putting into the contract some performance based clause saying if you don't win X amount of games its void.

I suppose it remains to be seen if sacking Mick is going to automatically guarantee the crowds return. What if they get worse? I think crowd attendance is contingent on the team winning games not who's sitting in the coaches box, if they start winning games by virtue of the fact Mick isn't coaching i'll be surprised.

My guess is at any point this season they could of called Mick in and said, "Look, we don't think your the right man to take us forward so end of the year your gone. Do you want to walk now or coach out the year?" I reckon he'd of taken that and chosen to coach out the year and there'd be no story, and likely he'd of coached brilliantly- look at what Mark Thompson achieved last year with the freedom of knowing it was a one year gig. In fact its probably what they should of said to him on Tuesday. The uncertainty was the untenable thing, Mick would of taken the decision one way or another and if asked to see out the year would of likely been delighted to.

I'm sick of Malthouse and his antics- he speaks weazle words everything he says is calculated rat baggery

good riddance to bad rubbish.

Be strong enough to admit that the Club seriously ****** up hiring that over blown con artist...

*MOD EDIT: Don't evade the swear filter

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't count on the mental impact of the whole situation, including saying you're best 2 players aren't safe from trade, gutting the place of the will to get out of bed and go to work. Take the media blow torch and constant uncertainty out of the situation and likely the team performs differently.

The problem was these 2 best players weren't playing like our two best players and were possibly symptomatic of a lot of on field issues we have. That and the fact they had the most currency .... well let's just say, molly coddling these guys doesn't work, maybe making them fight for their position might have.

Not sure how that could of been achieved but Mick was spot on when he said pre-season it'd be an issue, its just common sense. To me the solution would of been reappoint him so the media moves on then sack him at the end of the season anyway, like plenty of other clubs have done to contracted coaches. And whats to stop them putting into the contract some performance based clause saying if you don't win X amount of games its void.

Reappoint him, then sack him. He wouldn't have gone for a performance clause. This is Mick ******* Malthouse after all. People talk about us caving to media pressure, then suggest we should have re-signed Mick a year out to avoid media pressure. Something wrong with this picture. We paid Ratten out for a whole year. This sacking is cost neutral as Mick was being paid anyway and we aren't paying a second senior coach wage on top of it.

I suppose it remains to be seen if sacking Mick is going to automatically guarantee the crowds return. What if they get worse? I think crowd attendance is contingent on the team winning games not who's sitting in the coaches box, if they start winning games by virtue of the fact Mick isn't coaching i'll be surprised.

It's not just about that. We needed a circuit breaker, some hope that something would change. It may just be that Buckley and Graham get decent game time. Maybe the game plan is more entertaining not suffocating. Small glimmers of hope helps.

My guess is at any point this season they could of called Mick in and said, "Look, we don't think your the right man to take us forward so end of the year your gone. Do you want to walk now or coach out the year?" I reckon he'd of taken that and chosen to coach out the year and there'd be no story, and likely he'd of coached brilliantly- look at what Mark Thompson achieved last year with the freedom of knowing it was a one year gig. In fact its probably what they should of said to him on Tuesday. The uncertainty was the untenable thing, Mick would of taken the decision one way or another and if asked to see out the year would of likely been delegated to.

Mick said tonight he knew last year he was under the pump. If he wanted to change something he would have. If the players go into their shells at the thought of the rebuild word, then why is Mick going to become a better coach knowing he is out of a job at the end of the year? The board had been telling him for a while we could not sustain what was happening.

The problem was these 2 best players weren't playing like our two best players and were possibly symptomatic of a lot of on field issues we have. That and the fact they had the most currency .... well let's just say, molly coddling these guys doesn't work, maybe making them fight for their position might have.

It might have, didn't though. I'd agree you want your best players standing up and playing well when the clubs under pressure. Disappointing they haven't, but if the list is under press and not coping its undeniable no-one is under more pressure than those blokes. Disagree that the way to motivate them was to ambush them through the media with the threat they could be traded. Arguably if your clubs going to do that to you you might as well just tank the rest of the season to make sure they do, getting traded out of the wooden spooners is hardly the end of the world.

[QUOTE\]People talk about us caving to media pressure, then suggest we should have re-signed Mick a year out to avoid media pressure. [/QUOTE]

Only a tactic I'd suggest if you know you're going to cave. Which they did. And possibly should of seen coming, Mick did. I'd of preferred if they could of just been upfront before the season started and said to everyone this is Micks last year, I can see why it would of been hard to do that though. He'd of taken it though I think and the season would of gone smoother. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. End of the day this time next week its all football history. Mick will be fine. Carlton will move forward. The Pres will be better prepared for next time and Triggs, will do whatever it is he does I guess.

It might have, didn't though. I'd agree you want your best players standing up and playing well when the clubs under pressure. Disappointing they haven't, but if the list is under press and not coping its undeniable no-one is under more pressure than those blokes. Disagree that the way to motivate them was to ambush them through the media with the threat they could be traded. Arguably if you're clubs going to do that to you you might as well just tank the rest of the season to make sure they do, getting traded out of the wooden spooners is hardly the end of the world.

They didn't ambush them, the club just let them know we were rebuilding and nobody was safe. The media raised the names, the club baulked at removing them. The supporter vibe was that they should be on the table. You forget the club and the supporters have been there play by play, week by week. We're very aware of the type of things that breeds failure in our side. If the leadership group won't lead and won't go when it is their turn, then they should be on the table. These guys have let us down on multiple occasions. Good players who should have been elite.

Only a tactic I'd suggest if you know you're going to cave. Which they did. And possibly should of seen coming, Mick did. I'd of preferred if they could of just been upfront before the season started and said to everyone this is Micks last year, I can see why it would of been hard to do that though. He'd of taken it though I think and the season would of gone smoother. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. End of the day this time next week its all football history. Mick will be fine. Carlton will move forward. The Pres will be better prepared for next time and Triggs, will do whatever it is he does I guess.

Carlton wanted Mick to succeed this year. To be competitive, bring some new players in, bring some hope in. They wanted an excuse to re-sign him and wanted to respect him. Things changed week to week, the supporter mood changed, Mick wasn't appearing to change anything. Selections became bizarre. They had no way of seeing this happening. None.

Your board is weak.

First they were going to review Mick's position after the season, then at the bye. Finally they sacked him two weeks from the bye.

It looks like the board caved to media and public pressure. Rather than stick to their initial timeline, they gave in to everyone else's timeline.

This is why I am glad that we had Frank Costa as a president. In 2006, there was pressure by the media and the members (including me) to sack Mark Thompson.

Instead of caving in, Costa backed in the coach, got people around Bomber to help him, and then he went onto coach us to two flags. If our board was weak, we would have got rid of a potential premiership coach.

Who knows, Mick could have turned things around second half of season. But you will never know, because people couldn't wait that long. Impatience and weakness has caused a three-time premiership coach to go out the door.

Who cares what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back