Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We've played 9 games and one benefit of having so many injuries we have had a good look at our depth. Unfortunately for guys like Knight and Atkins they were injured. I thought it would be a good time to have a look at your best 22 with all fit and available, with a view to developing a side for 2017.

B: Brown Talia Cheney
HB: Laird Lever Kelly
C: Smith Danger Grigg
HF: Lynch Walker Cameron
F: Betts Meadow Lee Kerridge

Ruck: Jacobs Sloane B Crouch

I/C: Douggie, M Crouch, CEY, Jaensch

Obvious weakness is Jenkins and speed.

Sorry to DMack, but if he doesn't suffer from second year blues he could have a good career.

Was just doing this on notepad for fun...

kelly lever brown

laird talia henderson

crouch sloane smith

jacobs danger cey

douglas walker lynch

betts jenkins cameron

mackay kerridge mcrouch grigg aish jaench cheney otten lyons

gone: Thommo, VB, Pods

In red are suspect players. MacKay should be okay, he is actually putting his head over the ball this year. Cheney does okay but he can get dominated at times which is frustrating. Hendo's best is better than Jaench's best.

Would cut left nut off for shiel, he is exactly what we need. Need link up outside run where we run in waves and cut up teams.

B: Brown,Talia, Cheney
HB: Kelly, Lever, Laird
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Sloane
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, Kerridge
R: Jacobs, Ellis-yolmen, B Crouch
I: Mackay, Thompson, Cameron, Henderson (sub)

Unavailable: jaensch, Otten

HB: Laird Lever Smith
C: Sloane Dangerfield Grigg
HF: Douglas Jenkins Lynch
F: Cameron Walker Betts
1R: Jacobs Thompson B Crouch
INT: M Crouch Ellis-Yolmen Kelly (Martin)

I'd put Brad Crouch on the wing. Either/or. Have you given up on Lyons?

HB: Laird Lever Smith
C: Sloane Dangerfield Grigg
HF: Douglas Jenkins Lynch
F: Cameron Walker Betts
1R: Jacobs Thompson B Crouch
INT: M Crouch Ellis-Yolmen Kelly (Martin)

Replace Martin with Henderson and it's looking pretty good

Considering the ultimate purpose of this exercise is to project towards 2017, I'm simply going ignore players I don't think will be around at our club in 2017. I'm guessing none of Dangerfield (FA / traded - deny that it's happening all you like, it'd be paying $1.25 if I was a bookie), Thommo (retired), Wright (delisted or traded by the end of 2016), Lyons (traded), Martin (delisted), Podsiadly (retired), Siggins (delisted), Shaw (delisted or retired due to injuries), Dear (delisted) will be here by Round 1 2017. There'll be more too (Otten may be cooked, someone like a Kerridge could be traded, McGovern or Wigg may be delisted), and I'm probably wrong about 2 of the ones I've said will be gone, but yeah. Assuming the above...

HB: Kelly Lever Smith
C: Douglas M Crouch Grigg
F: Betts O'Brien Kerridge
R: Jacobs Sloane B Crouch
Int: Jaensch, Ellis-Yolmen, Laird, Mackay
Emg: Otten, Atkins, Knight

Wildcards: Shaw, Wigg, McGovern, Ramsey, Wilson

Other guys I didnt want to put in the side purely because I am not a fan and don't see them playing regularly in any remotely successful team: Jenkins, Henderson, Hartigan, VB

Kerridge to take over the defensive forward role that Wright is currently butchering. Petrenko hit the scoreboard more than Wright. And had equal footskills. And was a superior tackler. And had superior speed. Petrenko was s**t too. Go figure.

Yes I have deliberately left Henderson and Jenkins out. They're soft. I don't like soft. Trade both for assets that aren't slow, aren't short, aren't soft and can kick is my suggestion. I realise they both have positive attributes and that they're far more talented than many I have selected ahead of them. I would just prefer to see them missing tackles and putting in 75% efforts in someone else's colours while enjoying watching the fair compensation we receive for them putting in 100% for us.

No, there's no evidence that O'Brien has any future in a key forward role at AFL level. The fact that the only current choices for this role are Jenkins, O'Brien, Dear and Lowden should tell us that we desperately need to acquire a quality key forward, in addition to adding outside speed and tall defenders. Hard to do all of that in 2 off seasons but yeah, that's what we're working with. O'Brien almost definitely won't be our full forward for round 1, 2017. But I don't reckon anyone else currently on our list will either is pretty much my point. We'd be sniffing Jakey Carlisle and Lachie Henderson (among others such as Tomlinson) pretty hard to be an option at both ends of the ground I would've thought. If Dangerfield leaves ($1.25), expect big money to be thrown at this sort of bloke.

I still hold out a lot of hope that Otten can be a useful AFL player once more. I've always been a fan. But it's far from a sure thing. He'd be in my side right now if he was fully fit. Underappreciated.

Laird is the 7th man in defense. Naming him on the bench is purely aesthetic. I wanted to show Douglas and Grigg as my wingmen. Grigg plays on the left because he's left-sided. Douglas on the right because he's right-sided. Revolutionary I know.

The team lacks height. This will be addressed through trades and free agency.

Fin.

Considering the ultimate purpose of this exercise is to project towards 2017, I'm simply going ignore players I don't think will be around at our club in 2017. I'm guessing none of Dangerfield (FA / traded - deny that it's happening all you like, it'd be paying $1.25 if I was a bookie), Thommo (retired), Wright (delisted or traded by the end of 2016), Lyons (traded), Martin (delisted), Podsiadly (retired), Siggins (delisted), Shaw (delisted or retired due to injuries), Dear (delisted) will be here by Round 1 2017. There'll be more too (Otten may be cooked, someone like a Kerridge could be traded, McGovern or Wigg may be delisted), and I'm probably wrong about 2 of the ones I've said will be gone, but yeah. Assuming the above...

HB: Kelly Lever Smith
C: Douglas M Crouch Grigg
F: Betts O'Brien Kerridge
R: Jacobs Sloane B Crouch
Int: Jaensch, Ellis-Yolmen, Laird, Mackay
Emg: Otten, Atkins, Knight

Wildcards: Shaw, Wigg, McGovern, Ramsey, Wilson

Other guys I didnt want to put in the side purely because I am not a fan and don't see them playing regularly in any remotely successful team: Jenkins, Henderson, Hartigan, VB

Kerridge to take over the defensive forward role that Wright is currently butchering. Petrenko hit the scoreboard more than Wright. And had equal footskills. And was a superior tackler. And had superior speed. Petrenko was s**t too. Go figure.

Yes I have deliberately left Henderson and Jenkins out. They're soft. I don't like soft. Trade both for assets that aren't slow, aren't short, aren't soft and can kick is my suggestion. I realise they both have positive attributes and that they're far more talented than many I have selected ahead of them. I would just prefer to see them missing tackles and putting in 75% efforts in someone else's colours while enjoying watching the fair compensation we receive for them putting in 100% for us.

No, there's no evidence that O'Brien has any future in a key forward role at AFL level. The fact that the only current choices for this role are Jenkins, O'Brien, Dear and Lowden should tell us that we desperately need to acquire a quality key forward, in addition to adding outside speed and tall defenders. Hard to do all of that in 2 off seasons but yeah, that's what we're working with. O'Brien almost definitely won't be our full forward for round 1, 2017. But I don't reckon anyone else currently on our list will either is pretty much my point. We'd be sniffing Jakey Carlisle and Lachie Henderson (among others such as Tomlinson) pretty hard to be an option at both ends of the ground I would've thought. If Dangerfield leaves ($1.25), expect big money to be thrown at this sort of bloke.

I still hold out a lot of hope that Otten can be a useful AFL player once more. I've always been a fan. But it's far from a sure thing. He'd be in my side right now if he was fully fit. Underappreciated.

Laird is the 7th man in defense. Naming him on the bench is purely aesthetic. I wanted to show Douglas and Grigg as my wingmen. Grigg plays on the left because he's left-sided. Douglas on the right because he's right-sided. Revolutionary I know.

The team lacks height. This will be addressed through trades and free agency.

Fin.
Harry Dear will not be delisted. He's a young, competitive marking, hard hitting beast. At 197cm and still growing, he will become a jenkins who actually goes for the footy. Hopefully it's him lining up at FF in 2017, 2 preseasons to expand the tank, put on some muscle and tidy the kicking up. Walshy rates him as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Dear will not be delisted. He's a young, competitive marking, hard hitting beast. At 197cm and still growing, he will become a jenkins who actually goes for the footy. Hopefully it's him lining up at FF in 2017, 2 preseasons to expand the tank, put on some muscle and tidy the kicking up. Walshy rates him as well.
Just gotta hope those shoulders settle with age. Not uncommon for taller kids to struggle with joints until they're done growing.

think it's more likely he'll start getting games in 2018 than '17, but I guess you never know

He wasn't rated as a junior by any club other than Adelaide. Would have been undrafted if it wasn't for us. Hawks didn't even want to use pick million on him (eligible as father/son).

Now he's just had his shoulder reconstructed for the 2nd time which will no doubt impact his best trait (contested marking).

Forgive me if I don't share your optimism. Most speculative big men selected late in drafts never reach 20 AFL games even without multiple major injuries.

He wasn't rated as a junior by any club other than Adelaide. Would have been undrafted if it wasn't for us. Hawks didn't even want to use pick million on him (eligible as father/son).

Now he's just had his shoulder reconstructed for the 2nd time which will no doubt impact his best trait (contested marking).

Forgive me if I don't share your optimism. Most speculative big men selected late in drafts never reach 20 AFL games even without multiple major injuries.
Maybe, Paige Cardona suggested he'll be a monster in 5 years. I'm willing to give him more than 2 years to show something before delisting him. Walsh loves his aggressiveness, so while not a lay down misere for a best 22 spot in the future, he's worth investing in, nothing to lose if his shoulders hold up.

not they same shoulder though, no that means much

My best 22 for the remainder of the season is as follows.( jaensch and otten not considered due to season ending injuries).

B. CHENEY TALIA BROWN
HB. LAIRD LEVER SMITH
C. SLOANE THOMPSON BCROUCH
HF. BETTS LYNCH DOUGLAS
F. CAMERON WALKER JENKINS
R. JACOBS DANGERFIELD ELLIS YOLMEN
INT. GRIGG MACKAY MCROUCH KELLY

Henderson, Atkins, Lyons, Kerridge and Knight would be the first players selected if any injuries occur. Vb, wright, martin all omitted time to look to 2017. Really hope we see this team come the pointy end of the season.

I wanna match our list from below and above 100 games/26 years old and see how they'd go against one another. If they're aged between 18-25 and/or played 99 games or less they'll be in the first team. Then aged 26+ and/or played 100 games or more is in team 2. (It'll be an estimate on age and games by the end of this season)

B: Brown - Shaw - Laird
HB: Lever - Hartigan - Atkins
C: Smith - B.Crouch - Grigg
HF: Lynch - Ramsey - Kerridge
F: Cameron - Lowden - Lyons
R: O'Brien - M.Crouch - CEY
I: McGovern - Kelly - Wigg - Siggins

VS.

B: Van Berlo - Talia - Cheney
HB: Henderson - Otten - Jaensch
C: Mackay - Thompson - Martin
HF: Douglas - Walker - Wright
F: Betts - Jenkins - Podsiadly
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I: NA

Both teams have their pros and cons. Both backlines are very similar I'd maybe give the younger group just the edge but Talia just edges into the older team but doesn't make enough difference to persuade my decision. Midfield battle would be great to watch, early on would go clearance for clearance but as the game wares on Thomo, Danger and Sloane would edge it out. Forward line of the older team would smash it though where the younger group lacks some x factor to some extent.

Just say if these two teams took on one another I'd say team 2 would win by 5-7 goals (Maybe little generous towards the youth but nobody could stop Tex kicking 12 and Danger/Thompson/Sloane having 100 possesions together.

This is my best 22 at the moment,... anyone not on this page, I think should be considered for trade. 1-2 years, only Thompson will be out of this side, and with 3-4 quality young kids (mainly forwards / tall mids) I don't see us far away from a flag contender.

F-Backs : Brown Talia Laird
H-Backs : Jaensch Lever Smith
Centres : B Crouch M Crouch Sloane
H-Forw : Lynch Walker Grigg
F-Forw : Cameron Jenkins Betts
Rucks : Jacobs Dangerfield Thompson
Interch : Knight, Kelly, Ellis-Yolmen, Douglas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back