Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Romantic to think about Worsfold getting the job, and thats who I would cherry pick if I could, hence my vote, but I dont think he will. He wont be there to carry on Phils game plan or vision, as no doubt they are not the same.
Then I really dont know. I dont want Bolton, or Dew. I would rather see the club take a punt on Bass. He has a proven ability to coach his own team, and all the good coaches coming into the game have all done that, none however to the level Bass did at Norwood.
The talk about him needing more experience at AFL is bollicks in my eyes. Does anyone seriously think that Bass doesnt know everything there is about press or floods or centre square tactics? Seriously? He would have a hell of alot more knowedge than the clown he is an assistant for. He also spent the last 2 years working with and under Thompson.

I'm pretty confident with Roo and Fagan involved we will get a quality person in. Phil Walsh was exactly what we needed, and we will not find somebody else with the same skill set and game plan, but if they set out with a similar set of requirements as last time, I think we can find somebody with similar beliefs and values. We will then have to surround him with the right people to compliment his skills, not just try and slot him in and hope he can do everything Phil did.

What I don't see us getting is somebody who has a completely different map for the list or club, or somebody whose ideals about what a football club should be is a lot different to where we are heading.

It won't be the same journey but I think Andrew Fagan and Roo are on the same page as far as where we are going and how we should go about getting there and our new coach will do his part in his own way but we can still finish the job started at the end of last year.

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident with Roo and Fagan involved we will get a quality person in. Phil Walsh was exactly what we needed, and we will not find somebody else with the same skill set and game plan, but if they set out with a similar set of requirements as last time, I think we can find somebody with similar beliefs and some similar values. We will then have to surround him with the right people to compliment his skills, not just try and slot him in and hope he can do everything Phil did.

What I don't see us getting is somebody who has a completely different map for the list or club, or somebody whose ideals about what a football club should be is a lot different to where we are heading.

It won't be the same journey but I think Andrew Fagan and Roo are one the same page as far as where we are going and how we should go about getting there and our new coach will do his part in his own way but we can still finish the job started at the end of last year.
I think this is spot on. At it's most basic, this is currently a drive to 2017. List management would be well advanced, as would implementation of a specific fitness program and the game plan to match.

A lot will already be in place and I don't see all that just being abandoned.

I reckon the worst mistake we could make would be to bring in someone and expect them to replicate Phil Walsh. He had his own style, his own philosophy, his own approach - all of which complemented his unique personality, his experience and his aptitudes. Expecting the next one in to be Phil Mk 2 is unfair to that coach, and not in the best interests of the club.

By all mean let's target someone with a similar 'elite standards' expectation, but let's also target someone who has their own clear vision and strategy that will take us forward.

I know it is very unlikely, but once Alastair Clarkson has completed the threepete, we should target him. He may view it as the next logical step in his career to take over from a former friend and colleague.

Essentially, we need a coach who is going to demand the same elite standards on and off the field that Walshy has instilled in this club. The gameplan may change slightly, but the standards must not diminish, but in fact they must grow, as that's what Walshy would demand of the club.

If whoever we choose next year to coach our team into the future can emulate Walshy's elite standards, the players will follow. The players know what's required of an elite team now, and they've just started on this journey. This playing group can still achieve great things, and it'll be all the more rewarding if they can achieve Walshy's and the club's vision.

I know it is very unlikely, but once Alastair Clarkson has completed the threepete, we should target him. He may view it as the next logical step in his career to take over from a former friend and colleague.
Ratten would be more likely and his years under Clarko would've made him a way better coach than the one that was criticism for barracking for Carlton on the sidelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if Danger will wait to see who the coach for 16 and beyond will be before he makes a decision about his contract.

By then though it might be too late.

If the interim coach can steer us to the finals in this case I would think he would be the front runner

We went old school when we hired Phil Walsh.

10 years ago Leigh Matthews was the man for this experience. Who is the closest thing in the AFL system to a Leigh Mathews? Is there anyone of the numerous former players we have as assistant coaches at other clubs, close enough to what we need, an old school mentor and tactician?

Then you need to do some research friend, Gia was born to coach and one only needs to listen to him talk football to realise he has immense footy intelligence.
hmmmm perhaps but I'd be wary of hiring a head coach that retired from the game last year.

We went old school when we hired Phil Walsh.

10 years ago Leigh Matthews was the man for this experience. Who is the closest thing in the AFL system to a Leigh Mathews? Is there anyone of the numerous former players we have as assistant coaches at other clubs, close enough to what we need, an old school mentor and tactician?
Mark Williams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back