Review Good, Bad and Ugly v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm bringing the good, bad and ugly back!

Good:
  • Lever and Cameron are young guns
  • Dangerfield great as always
  • Laird awesome in the D50
  • Douglas, especially in the last quarter
  • Dominating at the center thanks to Jacobs, Thommo and Danger
  • Jenkins kicking 3 goals (and missing a few)
  • Knight solid again
Bad
  • Smith out of form
  • Henderson avoiding contests.
  • Some of Lynch's kicking was not good at all
  • Mackay, Wright have obvious gold passes
  • Atkins sub two games in a row
  • Letting Dixon and Lynch kick seven goals, even when Talia is out
Ugly
  • Some of our turnovers were just shockers.

Last edited:
Good:

Lever is a gun, how good will he be in another two years?
Laird ( is he the better Rory?)
Charlie ( they named a medal after him)
Sauce centre work
Jenkins initiating body contact
Running out the last quarter
The way two tall defenders didn't give up after a dirty first half, it is good to see.

Bad:

Mackay if Jaensch was available he wouldn't be playing, Wigg might get a game before years end if he keeps on serving up weekly s**t sandwhiches
Hendo: body contact issues s**t me to tears ( did do a few good things but his bad cost us goals)
Brodie Martin ( you goose, I had the Crows 1-39 and you kick a goal out of your arse with seconds left)
Shaws first half, got spooked by one bad kick and lost confidence ( better second half)
Fumbling

Ugly

Missed some easy shots which could have killed the game
Abletts injury ( hope it isn't serious)
Disposal efficiency, we really need to work on that all summer this year

Good:

The last quarter
Wright being subbed. Seeya later! has to be dropped after that "performance"
Lever. Gold.
Cameron. Geez he's gonna be good!
Danger
Knight kicking a goal in the last 5 mins :D
JJ using his body
Jacobs on fire
Rory is back!
Kicked straight at goals again!

Bad:

Disposal efficiency
Ablett getting injured..... just bought him into DT and SC. Hope he gets back soon for the GC sake
Some dropped marks
Hendo hears footsteps. A lot

Ugly:

Wright
MacKay

Good win though and firmly in the 8..... if Bulldogs lose tomorrow, that would be handy

Pretty much agree. Just a few to add.

Good
Jenkins continued good form.

Bad
Thought Shaw was very average. Have to make allowance for his first game in quite a while, but he didn't really give me anything to get excited about.
Thought the umpiring was very average.

Ugly
Tom Lynch (theirs).

Good
Dougy - starting to find some form, has been building
Sauce - having a great year
Laird - what a player he is becoming
Recruiters/talent scouts who saw what was in Charlie. He is becoming a special player.
As above just insert Lever instead of Charlie, he looks so confident and doesn't panic, that stands out like dogs balls in our side.

Bad
Thommo - has a got a broken finger? Constantly missing 5m handballs (falling short) or they are high loopy things.
Umps - some baffling ones today
Got the job done but looked unconvincing.

Ugly
No Talia, we looked very vulnerable down there wihout him.
Mackay - 1 nice mark for the day, typical below average performance
Wright - See above, seriously this clown gets a game before CEY or Crouch
Selection committee for above issues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
- We finally got 3 Rorys out on the park at the same time
- Where on earth did this Rory Laird come from? I assumed he'd spend his career as an underrated anonymous back pocket, but he's a serious contender for the B&F. Incredible performance
- The Crows recruiting team should take a bow. Jake the Snake is looking like an unbelievable steal.
- Charlie, Eddie, and Jenkins looked dangerous up forward all day
- Jacobs will challenge Rehn's title as best Crows ruckman by the end of his career *Ignore, have had a few too many :oops:
- Danger and Thommo just dominated around the clearances
- Rory got through the day unscathed
- Luke Brown was excellent
- Smith's last quarter was the best he's looked since his first concussion
- Douglas is a star, enough said
- I thought Atkins did a couple of nice things when he came on. His kick to Jenkins in the goalsquare was well placed.
- Slightly controversial opinion, I thought Mackay was one of our best for the first 3 quarters

Bad

- Sam Shaw was atrocious for the first 3 quarters, but looked good in the last. Hopefully he can turn that into a 4 quarter effort next week
- I don't like criticizing Brodie Martin since he tries so hard, but I still really don't think he's up to it. ! good goal doesn't make up for otherwise ordinary skills and poor contested ability.
- Tex got beaten by an excellent defender in May
- Wright did nothing, I'd like to order one Sam Kerridge in his place please
- Lynchy was quiet, but he helped us break away in the last
- Riley Knight was good in the first and last quarter, but was invisible in the middle two. Not worth dropping him though
- Turns out our defense is even shakier without Talia. Who woulda thunk it?
- While we should have won by more, I don't think we were too awful. Just too many handballs at feet, and brick hands.

Ugly

- Hendo was shocking. Move him to the wing or move him out the team.

Last edited:
Good:

Jenkins was my bog for bringing the ball to ground so many times. Great job and great running off the ball.
Betts and Cameron, just very good.
Lever as the lone tall backman.
The usuals.

Abysmal:

Every backman bar lever and laird.
Hendo shirking a few. Knight shirking a few this week and a few last week. I'm concerned a player of his build and size doing that. Needs to work on that immediately. I'd drop him for cey/crouch to give him a wake up.
Tex :( was utterly atrocious off the ball. 0 effort. Compete 180 from last week.
edit: Mackay. Normally defend him for his role and what he offers that others don't, but wasn't great. Him and knight out

Good
- We finally got 3 Rorys out on the park at the same time
- Where on earth did this Rory Laird come from? I assumed he'd spend his career as an underrated anonymous back pocket, but he's a serious contender for the B&F. Incredible performance
- The Crows recruiting team should take a bow. Jake the Snake is looking like an unbelievable steal.
- Charlie, Eddie, and Jenkins looked dangerous up forward all day
- Jacobs will challenge Rehn's title as best Crows ruckman by the end of his career
- Danger and Thommo just dominated around the clearances
- Rory got through the day unscathed
- Luke Brown was excellent
- Smith's last quarter was the best he's looked since his first concussion
- Douglas is a star, enough said
- I thought Atkins did a couple of nice things when he came on. His kick to Jenkins in the goalsquare was well placed.
- Slightly controversial opinion, I thought Mackay was one of our best for the first 3 quarters

Bad

- Sam Shaw was atrocious for the first 3 quarters, but looked good in the last. Hopefully he can turn that into a 4 quarter effort next week
- I don't like criticizing Brodie Martin since he tries so hard, but I still really don't think he's up to it. ! good goal doesn't make up for otherwise ordinary skills and poor contested ability.
- Tex got beaten by an excellent defender in May
- Wright did nothing, I'd like to order one Sam Kerridge in his place please
- Lynchy was quiet, but he helped us break away in the last
- Riley Knight was good in the first and last quarter, but was invisible in the middle two. Not worth dropping him though
- Turns out our defense is even shakier without Talia. Who woulda thunk it?
- While we should have won by more, I don't think we were too awful. Just too many handballs at feet, and brick hands.

Ugly

- Hendo was shocking. Move him to the wing or move him out the team.

Well said. Except for the Mackay stuff, that's just crazy talk.

Havent read everyone elses so apologies if I repeat

Good
Smith coming back to form, some pretty sharp moments today, it will come soon
Dougie similar to Smith, good to have him back playing well
Brodie Martin doing enough to persist with for a bit longer, could have some fair upside.
Cameron! Getting better, who knows how good that boy'll end up!!?!?!
Spreading the load in attack
Jenkins -apparently hasnt been beaten in a marking contest since round 11, providing the aerial target.
Improved uncontested stuff - I just wish we'd change up our defense. I don't believe its the team defense that's the flaw. Its the press. Its too high/hard - we need to chill that s**t down. If you subtract all the over the back ones off of our scores against and then compare our defense to others after that, our team defense would be as good as any. Sort it out coaches.
We held them up well, got them to do some loopy stuff and then came off our man or out of the zone pretty well.
Thompson great amount of ball and bullocking under the packs but was frustratingly fumbly.
Sauce another great game, we seem to have a tactic of having him back out of contests and be there as the get out of jail option. Havent noticed it much before but its a pretty good tactic.
Defense minus Talia. Hartigan had a shaky start, but went ok after that.
Shaw was ok for a person who's been out as long as he has. Good that we have another potential option.
Ran out the game reasonably considering hard work we put in last week, pisd me off though that from about 5 mins in to about 15 mins into last quarter we didnt do much scoring (but did do lots of attacking) when they were out on their feet.
Sloane didnt break his cheekbone!

Bad
Commentary / Telecast
Start.
Wright and Mackay doing themselves no favours, some of their body language suggests they know it too. Kerridge, Grigg, CEY and Crouch have at times looked better.
Wish Atkins would get more chances to use his leg.
Tackling numbers were low.
Weather conditions.
Brown had a rare bad day.

Ugly
Umpiring was crap.
Some of our under no pressure kicking.
Some peoples decision making some of the time, Tom Lynch had a couple of shockers, Hendo had a few but willing to give him some time to clean it up since its only a few games back, Danger with his regulation brainfade to ruin good work, Brodie Martin a brain fade or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back