Toast Tommy Sheridan

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't argue with Danyle being poor on the big stage. But I guess my point is that IMO, Tommy was good yesterday, without being anything special. It just appears to me that we've come to expect him to be rubbish, so that when he plays an OK game, people get really excited. He did some good things yesterday but also coughed the ball up really easily on a few occasions and choked when the game was there to be won. And I don't think he was good last week - his disposal was atrocious. I'd rather we were getting games into played Weller, Langdon or Blakely.
His disposal isn't elite and he has a tendency to crab sideways like a love child of Brett Peake and Clayton Hinkley, but when he does break the lines or provide a running option (see Pav's kick to him in the last) it's like a breath of fresh air to a side that can be pretty stodgy in its ball movement. And he is developing an aptitude to take contact and put his head over the ball, which is more than I expected of him.

Pearce worries me, because after burning a number of his disposals in the first, he went missing, then bobbed up in the last, but fluffed another kick towards goal out of bounds on the full. It was like the grand final again.

Can't argue with Danyle being poor on the big stage. But I guess my point is that IMO, Tommy was good yesterday, without being anything special. It just appears to me that we've come to expect him to be rubbish, so that when he plays an OK game, people get really excited. He did some good things yesterday but also coughed the ball up really easily on a few occasions and choked when the game was there to be won. And I don't think he was good last week - his disposal was atrocious. I'd rather we were getting games into played Weller, Langdon or Blakely.

Sheridan runs incredibly hard and even towards the end of games when everyone else can't. He is developing nicely. Some of his kicks aren't great but that will come with experience and more confidence. He is only now locking down his spot in the side. As I said, he is developing nicely and we need strong runners.

Also even though he missed his set shot, he went back and took it very confidently. Yes, it missed, however he didn't try shirk the responsibility to win the game, he embraced it. A very good sign.

im not sure he is mentally up to it. I'm willing to give him more time because of his running ability but some things he did during the game were concerning and suggested he may be mentally frail.

im not sure he is mentally up to it. I'm willing to give him more time because of his running ability but some things he did during the game were concerning and suggested he may be mentally frail.

Well if that's true he's hardly alone he is?

We have a few suspected marshmallows in the team - and there's nothing we can do about it, we can't drop them all.
We've just got to hope they can hold up - we only have to be the best team on the day, not the most consistent, or the most hardy.

Well if that's true he's hardly alone he is?

We have a few suspected marshmallows in the team - and there's nothing we can do about it, we can't drop them all.
We've just got to hope they can hold up - we only have to be the best team on the day, not the most consistent, or the most hardy.
definitely agree we can't drop them all but clearly some things to work on with tommy. i for one would love another hard running type like isacc smith @ hawks. sheridan is 30 games in now - the next 30 will be telling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little tiring on here all the talk of Sheridan croz etc being youth. I think first to second maybe third year players are youth.

Tiring yes. The tiring part is the stupidity of the phrase "Ross Lyon doesn't play youth."
Wtf do you want? Play the shiny new because we haven't seen them make mistakes yet, because we haven't seen them? Of course a 22 year old is young. Ffs.

Tiring yes. The tiring part is the stupidity of the phrase "Ross Lyon doesn't play youth."

The phrase is true. Not counting Alex Pearce who we have been forced to play because of injuries to our 3 key defenders all at the same time, here's a list of all our national draftees from the last 3 drafts full games:

Michael Apeness: 2
Everyone else: 0

The rest of them have only ever played as the sub, or in the game we tanked against St Kilda.

Duffy kicked 2 goals in a quarter in the 2 game he got. He was named sub again the next week but only got to play for about 5 minutes.

Simpson played a game as a sub and had 13 disposals in 5 tackles in just over a quarter. Then got dropped.

Nobody else we have drafted in the last 3 years is apparently good enough to get a game at all.

Wtf do you want? Play the shiny new because we haven't seen them make mistakes yet, because we haven't seen them? Of course a 22 year old is young. Ffs.

I want to see guys who are dominating in the WAFL get games over players who have proven over a very long period of time that they aren't good enough to play AFL. I'd like to see a selection policy that prefers skill over seniority.

The phrase is true. Not counting Alex Pearce who we have been forced to play because of injuries to our 3 key defenders all at the same time, here's a list of all our national draftees full games:

The rest of them have only ever played as the sub, or in the game we tanked against St Kilda.

I want to see guys who are dominating in the WAFL get games over players who have proven over a very long period of time that they aren't good enough to play AFL. I'd like to see a selection policy that prefers skill over seniority.

No you don't. You want to see Fremantle lose so you can have a long farking whinge about it.

I don't care how old Sheridan or Crozier are - anyone who wasn't in the 2013 GF side and adds something different to how Freo performs is good enough for me. That includes players like Griffin, Taberner, Alex Pearce or even Clancee and Ibbo.

If Ross returns to the well of Mzungu, Duffield, or heaven forbid, Crowley, then he's lost it. My greatest worry all along has been that the attitude of the club is that it can go one better with the same group.

Crozier and Sheridan's games yesterday were encouraging. Who cares whether they are 18 or 22? They are not the same players we've seen over and over.

No you don't. You want to see Fremantle lose so you can have a long farking whinge about it.

Whatever.

Ross Lyon doesn't play youth. The evidence is clearly there for anyone to see.

If you want to argue that might be the best policy, then that's fair enough. You might indeed be right that not playing youth is the best way to win games.

But it's not stupid or wrong to say that "Ross Lyon doesn't play youth" because Ross Lyon clearly does not play youth.

Sheridan, Crozier, Taberner, Neale, Sutcliffe are all 22 or turning 22 this year. They have been in the system for 4 years. They are approaching the average age of an AFL player and the time they should be peaking.

They are not young blokes. None of them are eligible for our BYB award. In fact this year, Alex Pearce is the only person eligible for the award to have played a single game.

Last edited:

Is a good win against tiger, but will be better for future transition if can add afl experience to some player, there will be either small rebuid or big rebuid when the flag window close. Just imagine pav, sandi , elvis , johnson , mundy , all around 30 gone (retire), loss of form or injuries. That is a lot of afl matches in them to filled.

The phrase is true. Not counting Alex Pearce who we have been forced to play because of injuries to our 3 key defenders all at the same time, here's a list of all our national draftees from the last 3 drafts full games:

Care to do the same analysis for Hawthorn?

Care to do the same analysis for Hawthorn?

What's the point of that?

I am only proving that "Ross Lyon doesn't play youth" is true.

The people saying it's not true are just wrong as a point of fact.

As I said, if you want to make the argument that not playing youth is the key to success then feel free to make that argument. You might even convince me if your argument is good.

But stop attacking people for saying he doesn't play youth, because clearly he does not.

As I said, if you want to make the argument that not playing youth is the key to success then feel free to make that argument. You might even convince me if your argument is good.

But stop attacking people for saying he doesn't play youth, because clearly he does not.
Wasn't Dawson an emergency on the weekend whilst Alex Pearce played an entire game for Freo? Weren't Duffield and Mzungu playing Wafl whilst Sheridan and Crozier played for Freo? He plays the players he thinks will win him the game. Has nothing to do with how old they are.

I ain't attacking anyone.

It all depends on your definition of youth. Yours seems to be unnecessarily narrow. I'd argue that any player who isn't delivering close to their full potential yet, is youth. Tom Sheridan, Matt Taberner and Hayden Crozier are all inexperienced players who are getting games on their potential rather than their output. All would be easily replaced more more experienced player in Mzungu, Duffield and Clarke. If we were picking a team purely to win with no eye on the future, the former three players would make way for the latter three. But they're not because the club is getting games into those young blokes.

If you play Sheridan, Crozier, Taberner, Sutcliffe, Neale in the same team and then add Weller and Blakely, you will see a significant drop in form and potentially lose our chance at a top two finish. That would be a bit silly. Which is why neither Sydney nor Hawthorn are more aggressive in playing youth than Freo over the last 3 years. Nor should they be.

If you can't see that 22 year old players who've played 30 games need more time to develop then there's no point discussing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back