Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really need to ask that question? How about your coach was involved in an "alleged' doping program where players were injected with unknown substances while singlehandly ruining the image of the code and his own club all while acting like the victim. How many times has he been booed since? Does he get booed everytime he walks onto the field at quarter time? Doubt it.

Again. Nice try. You've offered zero.

Oh so youre allowed to boo whoever you want based on your perception but you think you have any power to tell anyone else how to act??

What a load of utter s**t. Hird was never proven to have given any banned subtances yet your perspective is that he did. And you are rightly entitled to boo him for it.

Just like my perspective is that adam goodes is the chief ******* of australia and i reserve my right to boo him.

Are some of the people booing Goodes racists? Yes.

Are all the people booing Goodes racist? No.

Should the AFL declare any booing of Goodes to be racist? No. But they have.

The AFL simply doesn't like the look of a majority white crowd booing a black player, it's a PR nightmare. So they've slapped the "racist" tag on it in the hope of shaming people into not doing it. Will be interesting to see if it works.

Goodes has hijacked race relations as a platform for himself, the media have hijacked race relations for publicity and race-baiting both ways, and now the AFL has hijacked it by wielding the racism-stick to try and modify crowd behaviour to protect their image. All as bad as each other IMO, and it does nothing for genuine reconciliation.

Can we all agree that he isn't booed for his colour? There are 71 indigenous players and Goodes is the only one getting constantly booed. People just don't like him, simple.

How about we all agree that the reasons for him being booed are not justified? The reasons offered are not any reason to be booed. Yes umpires get booed. Why? Because they make a rubbish call against your team that you dont agree with. Does the umpire get booed everytime the umpires whistle gets put to his mouth? No.

Do Hayden Ballentyne, Luke Hodge or Ryan Crowley get booed everytime they touch the ball? No.

Goodes is booed every single time the ball is in his hands and there is zero reason for it. If he has whacked a player in the head then sure its fair enough. Its football. Thats the same as every player. But every time he has touched the ball since May 23 is justifiable.

That was certainly the catalyst for what we're seeing today.

I agree that I don't think every single boo is racially motivated but it's frustrating when people deny that there's a significant racial motivation for a large number of the boo birds.

You obviously have proof of this ?

Its also frustrating when people who boo him are being accused of racism, 30,000 people were booing yet only 2 were ejected.

There is racial vilification at every game, how short the memories, remember Buddy copping it ?

Then if anyone had the temerity to boo him they were labelled racist.

Plenty of people ITT has expressed why they dislike Goodes, mainly because he wears an opposition jumper and is a flog, yet Sydney supporters don't accept that, many have said he is a dirty prick who is an umpires pet, but no way, you are using that as an excuse to hide your racism,

But you get that big wide brush out and accuse a large number of the boo birds of being racist, the same people who dished out the same treatment to Jobe.

Correcting spelling, the last bastion of the defeated.
He says, after making some ridiculous reference to hand grenades being culturally significant due to being invented by white people and used to rid the world of Nazis.

Hilarious :)

The media and many of you are actually stating that if an individual doesn't agree with Adam's AOTY speech or his other divisive comments then you are a racist? Do you know what actually constitutes a racist? You can dislike/disagree with a number of issues pertaining to a race, that doesn't make someone racist.

The media are absolutely loving this, playing so many of us for fools.

Racism is primarily the poor treatment of an individual based solely on their race not because of anything they've done or said. Adam Goodes has said and done plenty.....................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No agree

What people forget though is now we treated them ....even in 1967 they were still not recognised at citizens ......not allowed to vote

Then this year Collin Barnett wants to close down their communities because they say it's too expensive

Yet we spend millions building bell towers and stupid artistic Bridges in wa ......

Ding get me started please .....I'm passionate advocate for these wonderful people ...and just maybe if we had a it more understanding of their struggles we might not boo

We are mostly oblivious to their struggles ......

Every kid knows that Australia Day is 26Th Jan.

Know one knows what happens on that day bar the whites arriving and almost trying to wipe out an entire face of people .....white Australia policy was still gun ho in the 1950's ...as in people believed in it

Sorry it's not that long ago.

The way history is taught is disgraceful and we criticise the Chinese for hiding their dark secrets ......

How does this relate ....if we understand and have knowledge of their struggles as a race of people as a collective then we are far more likely to not be idiots in sporting events and be racists.

I work with many aboriginal people and see racism as a counsellor ....I've had people shout at me ...why you helping him?

It's our national shame

We.

We we we.

My Australian lineage traces back 40 years or so.

If you think you've got something evil in your past then that's fine, but don't average it out over me if you couldn't point out my ancestral homeland on a map.

Oh so youre allowed to boo whoever you want based on your perception but you think you have any power to tell anyone else how to act??

What a load of utter s**t. Hird was never proven to have given any banned subtances yet your perspective is that he did. And you are rightly entitled to boo him for it.

Just like my perspective is that adam goodes is the chief ******* of australia and i reserve my right to boo him.

Have a look at what is written moron. Is Hird booed everytime he steps onto the field to speak with his team or post game? NO.

Is Adam Goodes booed every time he touches the ball? Yes.

No one has called him the Chief of Australia. He won Australian of the Year. Did he nominate himself? No.Again you have offered zero decent reasons as to why he is booed every single time he touches the ball.

Try again.

What.

So you're telling me when I started booing him are you?

I have booed many players for many reasons. Just like umpires. But now I have to treat one player separately so as not to cover for racists.

So we now have a special rule for one player. Again excluding not including. Cause excluding someone is the way forwards to harmony.

Whilst there are some that boo him for racist reasons I believe the majority of people boo now as they are being dictated to on how they should act for something that has always been in the vernacular of any sport - "Boo".

So whilst Cyril is my favourite player and cheer him at every occasion I'm not allowed to boo Adam because that would make me racist to indigenous people.

Boooooo.

Why is that a problem? Why can't you not boo Adam Goodes for a couple weeks to reveal the racists? Maybe you can use this energy towards enforcing your moral code on other players- by booing everybody else that's a flog. I'm sure you can find many close to home without looking that hard.

"I accept that some people boo because they're racist but I'm not a racist but I still want to join in with the racists and boo him"

This thread, basically.
People are allowed to be ignorant without being labelled racist but that seldom happens in these debates. It doesn't and hasn't aided the Goodes discussion to date.

If we break down the booing masses we could probably discern 3 groups.

The portion who are inherently racist. Quite large.

The portion who are booing because they believe they have a right and they don't like being inferred as racists. They boo in light of the whole saga siting Goodes the player as their reasoning but really it is Goodes the player and person in one. Quite large.

The portion who genuinely don't like Goodes purely as a player and boo for no other reason. In my view the smallest group.

When the booing is en masse it isn't a great look. Personally I find it moronic. The problem however is that we have both racism and percieved racism which means there won't be a solution to this any time soon.

The comments from that dog eagles fan who was ejected explain a lot.

"Telling him to go back to the zoo isn't racist at all! It's just political correctness gone mad!"

No wonder so many people deny there's a racial element. They're too stupid to see it.
Exactly, this really is the main problem with this whole issue. The people who think this has nothing to do with racism are too concerned about being technically right to stop and think about what their doing.

The ones who are defending themselves the most vehemently are probably the closet racists, but no one wants to think they have a racist bone in their body do they? So they roll out the old 'I boo him because he's a flog/he dives/etc etc' but everyone knows at least some of these people simply don't like a black guy speaking out about too many inconvenient truths and that he should save that stuff for indigenous round where we listen to a guy play the didge before the match and pretend how much we all respect our indigenous population for the weekend.

If you genuinely boo him just cos you think he's a flog, maybe understand the greater context of what you're doing, and that regardless of your individual intentions, you're participating in something that can and does have a larger meaning and impact. How do you reckon indigenous players on your own team feel when they hear it? I bet it makes them uncomfortable at the very least.

And if you still want to say 'I think he's a flog and have the right to boo so I'm going to boo him and you can't tell me what to do!' then yes you can boo him but maybe you're just a dick.

You only have to read through the conflicting views in this thread to see that many people don't share your flippant attitudes towards racial issues. In fact pick up a paper today and you'll see journalists, AFL players, AFL managers, AFLPA representatives, administrators and many others all calling for an end to this issue. Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant.

Everyone is now aware that the booing is perceived as having racial undertones. If you continue to boo, you're doing so whilst fully aware of this perception.

1 out of 70+ aboriginal players is booed.

And its racisim?

Please tell me what links booing to racism?

The booing started well after he pointed out that girl. So please...enlighten me. + i dont give a * what the AFL groups say. I didnt see them standing up for Hird/Jobe and the rest of the Essendon players for the last 3 years but now this pissant goodes cops a decree from the AFL for the booing to stop after a couple of months?

what a joke.

You Poms were a blood thirsty lot too :D... And go back far enough we all have a history of violence .... But it's a part of history that you can't change you just know not to repeat it .

It ends when people ACCEPT that apology and get on with it

POHM - Prisoner of His Majesty. Convicts had the letters POHM written on their backs. Of course the POHMs being stuck in England are now the prisoners whilst we have the best country in the world. I can understand A POHM getting it wrong but an Aussie should always know why we laugh at POHM's.

Just don't boo them at the cricket as you will a racist.

No agree

What people forget though is now we treated them ....even in 1967 they were still not recognised at citizens ......not allowed to vote

Then this year Collin Barnett wants to close down their communities because they say it's too expensive

Yet we spend millions building bell towers and stupid artistic Bridges in wa ......

Ding get me started please .....I'm passionate advocate for these wonderful people ...and just maybe if we had a it more understanding of their struggles we might not boo

We are mostly oblivious to their struggles ......

Every kid knows that Australia Day is 26Th Jan.

Know one knows what happens on that day bar the whites arriving and almost trying to wipe out an entire face of people .....white Australia policy was still gun ho in the 1950's ...as in people believed in it

Sorry it's not that long ago.

The way history is taught is disgraceful and we criticise the Chinese for hiding their dark secrets ......

How does this relate ....if we understand and have knowledge of their struggles as a race of people as a collective then we are far more likely to not be idiots in sporting events and be racists.

I work with many aboriginal people and see racism as a counsellor ....I've had people shout at me ...why you helping him?

It's our national shame

Which is being addressed in schools in every classroom across the country

I could say coming from the perspective of being a woman, that there are issues that twenty years ago I could sue for now. But it's done - can't change the fact that I lost out on a promotion because I was pregnant at the time and " you won't be coming back "( I was 8 weeks and had only told my manager at the time I applied and was told I would not get an interview - imagine that happening now)

So while we all can point to instances where we feel hurt or unfairness to carry that with you every day is certainly not helpful.

Sooner or later people need to let it go and not label every hurt feeling because you may happen to belong to a minority

Be interested to hear what you think these antics are, specifically.

Antics being foolish, outrageous or amusing behaviour.

i use the term losely to describe any actions that result on the spotlight being on him. just to be clear he's well within his rights to stand up for himself but by the same token the fans are allowed to express their feelings towards it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back