Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has every right to

As do the public have a right to reply as they see fit

Maybe they don't like being told your white, your a racist. Cos basically, that seems to be his stance.
No it doesn't. At all. Stop making things up to suit your agenda.

He should have said no to the AOTY award. We don't like our sport and politics mixed.
I remember all that abuse Steve Waugh copped. And Pat Rafter.

It's a tough topic. Personally I don't mind the crowd getting involved by booing a villain, but the Goodes booing is certainly different.

There are many differing opinions on this board, but for mine the original context of the booing was certainly based on Goodes being outspoken. The fact the primary topic he speaks out about is indigenous affairs makes the booing appear racially motivated. The fact that the booing isn't done to every indigenous player is irrelevant.

From there, the pack mentality sets in and others join the booing. Then we get told we shouldn't boo, so we boo louder, and the snow ball rolls on.

One thing is clear: suggesting Goodes is booed for being a "dirty player" is absolute crap. Do you boo Luke Hodge? There are plenty of dirty players in every club, and none of them are booed the way Goodes is booed.

I think for the average supporter the booing has gone far enough. Whether you agree or not, perception is everything, and in this case it's perceived by many as being racist. If you continue to boo, you're doing so with the full knowledge of this public perception.
Luke Hodge gets his fair share of booing. Maybe get to more Freo games, Ballantyne gets heaps, Crowley did as well.

What has happened and made it worse is that he has reacted to it and shown that it has got under his skin, something some see as a sign of weakness. In elite sport it is about the mental attitude that makes the difference not skill, so if you think there is a perceived weakness then manipulate as best you can.

It's your perception. I'd say the bigger public perception is that he is booed because he is a knob head.

No one gives a s**t what you think is what they should be doing. Sorry to break it too you.
You only have to read through the conflicting views in this thread to see that many people don't share your flippant attitudes towards racial issues. In fact pick up a paper today and you'll see journalists, AFL players, AFL managers, AFLPA representatives, administrators and many others all calling for an end to this issue. Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant.

Everyone is now aware that the booing is perceived as having racial undertones. If you continue to boo, you're doing so whilst fully aware of this perception.

I want to clarify one thing I have said before since I think it holds great significance. From what I read and see, I am quite convinced in my own mind that whilst there is a racism aspect to the issue, racism is not central to it. The reason I say this is because there is ample evidence that other players do not get similar treatment. Also, I believe that the timing of when this started to become a problem coincides with a few occurrences. Firstly, whilst most would concede that Goodes has been a great player, I doubt that many believe that he has always been the cleanest player in the competition. Not an out and out mongrel but not squeaky clean either. I would suspect that this fact has probably over time built up some dislike from opposition supporters especially when there has been some perception that some of his misdemeanors have gone unpunished. What I think really happened here was a perception of double standard when Adam called out racists for their behaviour and some probably saw that as hypocritical. Don't misread me, I don't agree with it or provide it as justification. I just have a strong feeling that this is how the situation developed. This I believe was exacerbated by the perception that his calling out of a child was a little insensitive and potentially disastrous regardless of the validity of his complaint and also by his naming as Australian of the year.

The only point I am making here is that the racist aspect I do not believe is central to it but more that Adams stance is seen by some as evidence of double standards. Again, I do not agree with or condone the booing. I just wanted to make an observation for others to comment on.

Luke Hodge gets his fair share of booing. Maybe get to more Freo games, Ballantyne gets heaps, Crowley did as well.

What has happened and made it worse is that he has reacted to it and shown that it has got under his skin, something some see as a sign of weakness. In elite sport it is about the mental attitude that makes the difference not skill, so if you think there is a perceived weakness then manipulate as best you can.

Can you please post the links to him reacting and commenting on it please?

He has every right to

As do the public have a right to reply as they see fit

Maybe they don't like being told your white, your a racist. Cos basically, that seems to be his stance.

Can you please post a video or provide a source of Adam Goodes taking this stance as I'm quite curious about it.

If not probably stop just flat out making stuff up.

Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he didn't.

Goodes told non-Aboriginal journalists his Aboriginal war dance at Friday’s AFL game was “a battle cry at you guys saying this is who I am ... a warrior and representing my people”.

“I’m not going to go up to (Carlton’s) Chris Yarran and do it because he’d actually be part of the war cry.”

So if your going to join in the debate, please at least arm yourself with some understanding of whats going on.

I must've missed the bit where Goodes and Jetta specifically targeted white people. Must be some dance to get that message across.

Goodes did say he wouldn't do the dance at chris yarran because he would be part of the war cry (even though he was playing on the opposite side)

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...am_goodess_cries_for_battle_against_you_guys/

I don't think he was aiming it at white people but did do it to instigate a reaction (which is what he got)

Yes
They did - and it's a terrible dreadful part of the history of many many peoples all over the world

I didn't do it though - I am not responsible

No agree

What people forget though is now we treated them ....even in 1967 they were still not recognised at citizens ......not allowed to vote

Then this year Collin Barnett wants to close down their communities because they say it's too expensive

Yet we spend millions building bell towers and stupid artistic Bridges in wa ......

Ding get me started please .....I'm passionate advocate for these wonderful people ...and just maybe if we had a it more understanding of their struggles we might not boo

We are mostly oblivious to their struggles ......

Every kid knows that Australia Day is 26Th Jan.

Know one knows what happens on that day bar the whites arriving and almost trying to wipe out an entire face of people .....white Australia policy was still gun ho in the 1950's ...as in people believed in it

Sorry it's not that long ago.

The way history is taught is disgraceful and we criticise the Chinese for hiding their dark secrets ......

How does this relate ....if we understand and have knowledge of their struggles as a race of people as a collective then we are far more likely to not be idiots in sporting events and be racists.

I work with many aboriginal people and see racism as a counsellor ....I've had people shout at me ...why you helping him?

It's our national shame

Yes but the last few years he's become much more active and outspoken. Perhaps he was fine beforehand because he kept his head down. Now he's daring to speak his mind and how DARE he?

So how come it's only been an issue this year ?
How come the boos got worse after the "traditional" war dance ? AFL would have sanctioned any other player who interacted negatively with the crowd . Cloak actions in " tradition" and all if a sudden itheyre untouchable

I want to clarify one thing I have said before since I think it holds great significance. From what I read and see, I am quite convinced in my own mind that whilst there is a racism aspect to the issue, racism is not central to it. The reason I say this is because there is ample evidence that other players do not get similar treatment. Also, I believe that the timing of when this started to become a problem coincides with a few occurrences. Firstly, whilst most would concede that Goodes has been a great player, I doubt that many believe that he has always been the cleanest player in the competition. Not an out and out mongrel but not squeaky clean either. I would suspect that this fact has probably over time built up some dislike from opposition supporters especially when there has been some perception that some of his misdemeanors have gone unpunished. What I think really happened here was a perception of double standard when Adam called out racists for their behaviour and some probably saw that as hypocritical. Don't misread me, I don't agree with it or provide it as justification. I just have a strong feeling that this is how the situation developed. This I believe was exacerbated by the perception that his calling out of a child was a little insensitive and potentially disastrous regardless of the validity of his complaint and also by his naming as Australian of the year.

The only point I am making here is that the racist aspect I do not believe is central to it but more that Adams stance is seen by some as evidence of double standards. Again, I do not agree with or condone the booing. I just wanted to make an observation for others to comment on.

Bingo. I think only Swans president said Boo if you're a racist.

Other players have fit that description and sometimes even worse. Barry Hall was an out and out mongrel- and he had misdemeanors many thought went unpunished. Why wasn't he relentlessly booed?

Playing style wise their are so many worse cases than Adam Goodes- funny how the people that were the most 'uncomfortable' with his war dance was Leigh Matthews and Barry Hall- two people who were the reason for many an 'uncomfortable' moment on a football field.

The boos only occurred after that Collingwood game. The media have categorically stated this for a fact.
What.

So you're telling me when I started booing him are you?

I have booed many players for many reasons. Just like umpires. But now I have to treat one player separately so as not to cover for racists.

So we now have a special rule for one player. Again excluding not including. Cause excluding someone is the way forwards to harmony.

Whilst there are some that boo him for racist reasons I believe the majority of people boo now as they are being dictated to on how they should act for something that has always been in the vernacular of any sport - "Boo".

So whilst Cyril is my favourite player and cheer him at every occasion I'm not allowed to boo Adam because that would make me racist to indigenous people.

Boooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back