Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

A new coach, the right coach could be the difference in getting the best out of Yarren. If he has stated that he wants to go then that is a different story, then we start playing hard ball with whoever he wants to go to and get the best deal we can. If he wants to stay and the new coach wants him, end of discussion.

If we trade out Yarren, Henderson, Kreuzer, we trade out 3 players who have over 100 games experience, our last side that played had 11 blokes with about 50 games or less experience. On the injury front we are not missing to many that would come into the team and make much of a difference, for some reason our senior players have really struggle to make an impact with our younger boys showing them up.

Walker and Carrazzo will be done this year, Thomas who knows what he can provide anymore and Gibbs who has been as bad as he was good last season. Yes we have some good young kids coming through but they need some form of guidance. We mast have some salary cap room with Warnock, Judd and Carrazzo going, if we chase someone it needs to be a youngish KPP with some mongrel.
DIXON!!!

The fact that he's contracted means the deal will be on our terms.

So probably your first round pick.

Richmond may baulk at that - but given the scenario, thats what we would be expecting for it to get done.
Would be disappointing to downgrade a good low first round pick in Yaz for a back end first round pick, at a time when Yaz is reaching his peak.

However, if we can get say Aish, Charlie Curnow or Mathieson, they may be better for us long term.

Would be disappointing to downgrade a good low first round pick in Yaz for a back end first round pick, at a time when Yaz is reaching his peak.

However, if we can get say Aish, Charlie Curnow or Mathieson, they may be better for us long term.

Depreciation exists in footballer trading terms.

I understand that we are losing an early draft pick (#6) for a later one during what is supposed to be his prime, but sometimes you have to make these decisions in the interest of the playing list and (sometimes more importantly) for the player.

Yaz is a key player at the moment, but his heart just isn't in it for all to see. SOS may think that he is therefore expendible and the kid we bring in with that pick will add to our squad in the long run.

If you look at these players like stock (and take away the emotion), you aim to buy low and sell high ultimately.

You win some (Docherty) and you lose some (Lucas).

A new coach, the right coach could be the difference in getting the best out of Yarren.
He's had 3 coaches so far in his short career. One of them a triple premiership coach - and none of them could get him right. Yarrans just not cut out for consistent elite AFL footy when it comes to the mental side of things.

We'll lose him for something seriously considered unders I reckon :(

He's had 3 coaches so far in his short career. One of them a triple premiership coach - and none of them could get him right. Yarrans just not cut out for consistent elite AFL footy when it comes to the mental side of things.

So, what would 'unders' be for a player not mentally cut out for consistent elite AFL standard...3rd or 4th round? :eek:

Funny when you look at the serial under-performers who are now world beaters this year at the WCE.

Yarran is better than all of them.

Trade him by all means, but get fair value, not a s**t pick (like Garlett) or nothing (like robbo) and when he starts torching oppositions in his new colours, don't ******* whine about it and say "he never did that for us" just admit we ****ed it up.

Our whole squad has mental demons, we have not won more than 3 games in a row in years even when we were playing finals, MM should have known this, our group is mentally weak and even the 3 time premiership coach couldn't right the ship, instead he turned them into a dribbling mess too scared to play football or make a mistake.

Apart from Judd, we do not have a consistent elite player over the past 3 years, we have glimpses but nothing more. Yarrens not alone when it comes to consistent form.

So, what would 'unders' be for a player not mentally cut out for consistent elite AFL standard...3rd or 4th round? :eek:
Kinda contradicted myself there didn't I? :p

Yarrans form will continue to go downhill and we will want him gone and he will want to go - WCE's or Freo's 2nd rounder I reckon.

I really think Richmond should bid hard for him. They lack speed and Yaz offers that. They are getting close to having a team that can contend but lack an elite small forward. Yaz would be Gold!

As Yaz is contracted and is a seriously good player he must be worth a late round one pick from Freo, wet toast, or Richmond. Else we should keep him and try to get him right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny when you look at the serial under-performers who are now world beaters this year at the WCE.

Trade him by all means, but get fair value, not a s**t pick (like Garlett) or nothing (like robbo) and when he starts torching oppositions in his new colours, don't ******* whine about it and say "he never did that for us" just admit we stuffed it up.

WC don't have many world beaters they're just playing team footy, are high on confidence, have had a fairly easy draw and bar injuries to some key players early on have been going ok on that front.

ie the stars have aligned for WC at the moment.

I agree, if Yarran were moved on we should still be looking at a fairly high draft pick. Every player ever picked up has a fair measure of "what might he do for us built in" and he still has plenty of that currency to warrant something decent

No, No, No, and absolutely f... no!
For the same money we could add 2 very good contributors, or 2 solid footballers and an up and coming player.
Wrong timing for us. Good player but wrong timing.
Same reason I am surprised we are into Carlisle. Would be interesting to know how much room we get in the salary cap post Judd, Warnock?, Carrots?, Ellard, watson, Walker?, etc. Plus Hendo?

Would prefer we went harder for Treloar and added a bit more young class to our midfield

WC don't have many world beaters they're just playing team footy, are high on confidence, have had a fairly easy draw and bar injuries to some key players early on have been going ok on that front.

ie the stars have aligned for WC at the moment.

I agree, if Yarran were moved on we should still be looking at a fairly high draft pick. Every player ever picked up has a fair measure of "what might he do for us built in" and he still has plenty of that currency to warrant something decent

Gaff, Masten, Shuey etc, etc

You should have heard the s**t these blokes copped last year. Gaff is now considered by some (not me) to be an A grader, when he's as soft as butter.

The point is people keep telling me how bad Yarran is when the facts are he's a very good player playing poorly playing in a s**t side...........actually, not a s**t side, a s**t club.

I disagree, in his last 6 games Grigg averaged over 22 disposals. Collins had played well but never set the world on fire. I personally wasn't impressed with the deal at the time.
I think it was a crap deal but was all we could get from Richmond at the time and Grigg was gone!
Spot on, BluesRule. It was not simply a Grigg for Collins trade.

Richmond held all the cards with Grigg. It was either get nothing for him, or at least get some steak knives, which is what Collins was.

There is no way the club would have even contemplated a Grigg for Collins trade if we had any bargaining power.

Same reason I am surprised we are into Carlisle. Would be interesting to know how much room we get in the salary cap post Judd, Warnock?, Carrots?, Ellard, watson, Walker?, etc. Plus Hendo?

Would prefer we went harder for Treloar and added a bit more young class to our midfield

I agree with that.
There is no way that we will get Treloar cos I think that we are too far back in our development. It would be like going back to the GWS of a couple of seasons ago.
I hope that someone gets Carlisle before us but at the same time, if Henderson goes and we de-list Watson then it might not be so bad.
I really don't like the thought of giving away a first round pick atm. Even if we got first rounders for both Henderson and Yarran, I still would not like to give either of them away.
I guess there is two schools of thought with that though;
1) We land first round picks for Henderson and Yarran and offload one to get Carlisle. That offsets the loss of experience and helps keep us semi competitive while we rebuild.
2) We use all of our picks at the draft to get the best young players available and have them develop as a team, together.
Only problem with that is that we might eventually end up in the same position that GWS finds itself now with players like Treloar leaving because of the amount of young players on big contracts.

Trade him by all means, but get fair value, not a s**t pick (like Garlett) or nothing (like robbo) and when he starts torching oppositions in his new colours, don't ******* whine about it and say "he never did that for us" just admit we stuffed it up.

Robbo wasn't worth a snickers bar when we delisted him last year, no clubs had no interest in trading for a player whom was considered 'damaged goods' ..

Also no point trading for draft picks if we just waste them on Kane Lucas type busts.

Yeah man.........right on. You're new to life eh?

I mean, what we really want to do as a club is waste picks on Lucas types.:rolleyes:

Capt Obvious, your plane is ready for take off!!

No need to be snarky mate, you were grizzling about us not getting value for Garlett (fair enough) but I was simply stating that based on our club's track record in the past decade, if we got a second or third round pick for Jeffy, we probably would have wasted on a dud anyway.

That's the point I'm making is that trading for 1st/2nd and 3rd round picks hasn't been a recipe for success at our club (we wasted the picks which we got for Sauce, which was frustratingly unders)

Our 2nd/3rd/4th rounders over the pass decade has been putrid. Hopefully Graham and Holman are the start of a swing in fortune in that regard (Dylan Buckley also is looking like a draft bargain).

I think we over-rate Yarran over here. I suggested to a work mate that we deserve a first round pick to which he laughed and said you'r dreaming. Am I over-estimating his value?
I wouldnt give a first rounder for him personally, unless you threw in something coming back the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back