Toast Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Except for the handball forward to heaps of GWS players he was silk with his run and use of the ball. When quality use is so important that is an excellent sign. I would start him next week with MDB sub. If Fyfe is available then maybe he plays as sub again with MDB out. Think Mzungu still did more and offers more.

I made this point earlier to those saying Lachie, Blakely, Langdon, Gray et al are not ready for AFL.

In the pre-season games, when these kids played in the "B" side they looked bog average, but when switched to the "A" side they looked way better. I loved Lachie's debut and think we will all get very excited about some of the others too when they get a run.
A lot on here said that. Clearly, these kids have the class we need and are ready for AFL.

I don't really understand the call for Weller to play a full game. Seems like the perfect sub if you ask me, can come on and provide a spark get some ball, break the lines and creates opportunities up forward. Would rather DeBoer and Suban playing full games with Weller the sub than the other way round.

https://twitter.com/lachieweller

Thanks to all the purple army there yesterday! The roar from the crowd is something I will never forget! #foreverfreo

I like the forever part :thumbsu:
But Weller has pictures with Hugh Goddard and Paddy McCartin on his Instagram and this means he is going "home" to St Kilda in the Pre Season Draft if Freo don't accept a third rounder for him after the 2016 season. The Wellers such a close family after all...:rolleyes:

Saints supporters are still very bitter about Lyon.

Anyway Weller was very impressive yesterday:)

I don't really understand the call for Weller to play a full game. Seems like the perfect sub if you ask me, can come on and provide a spark get some ball, break the lines and creates opportunities up forward. Would rather DeBoer and Suban playing full games with Weller the sub than the other way round.
How about because instead of Suban and DeBoer kicking over leading forwards heads or spraying shots on goal or not making the distance we get some quality delivery inside 50 and everyone gets their confidence up and we start scoring heavily?
Teams really do come down to the level of the least skilled players out there and Freo of late seem to be lacking timing and confidence. We look great when Hill or Walters has the ball because they make good things happen. Weller looks to have that level of class and we need more of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about because instead of Suban and DeBoer kicking over leading forwards heads or spraying shots on goal or not making the distance we get some quality delivery inside 50 and everyone gets their confidence up and we start scoring heavily?
Teams really do come down to the level of the least skilled players out there and Freo of late seem to be lacking timing and confidence. We look great when Hill or Walters has the ball because they make good things happen. Weller looks to have that level of class and we need more of it.
If one player is what's stopping us from playing better as a team Ross would have the made the change earlier. He obviously has a reason for playing Suban and DeBoer, trust in Ross. Weller played fantastic in the quarter i saw but we can afford to ease him into AFL level.

This.

The reason people are calling for it is because they have been calling for his inclusion since day dot and having earned his spot has made an immediate impact they believe that vindicates the weekly demanding of his inclusion.

However what is being missed here is he was blowing up after a couple of touches yesterday, was on his haunches in between touches and seemed to be a lacking in the fitness department with the pace up another notch from what he is used to. Was still huffing and puffing in his post match interview. Surely you play him as a sub for an impact player with speed and great ball use late in the piece to expose the opposition rather than play him from the start and have him cooked by half time.

He will be better for being eased in with a few green vests until he gets used to the pace and fitness requirements of AFL footy. I'm not sure on yesterday's effort he could handle 3 quarters let alone a full game. The worst thing a side can do is play an underdone or under prepared player that forces their hand into an early sub, particularly with the risk of injury ruining the best of plans.

Very impressive debut however, and was great to see the purple army get behind the young bloke right from the start. Never doubted him in that respect but I for one am glad he has had to earn his spot. Will be an absolute, deadset star. Hopefully it is for us and not the ******* saints!!

What's this great ball use? Im sure he's good in this department but he didnt show it on the weekend. I never trust someone that kicks the ball from the side. Comes from the school of D.Pearce; his kicking looks good when it comes off, but hardly does.

Looks a exciting prospect tho.

Just like Alex Pearce, I thought Lachie had a very composed debut. I do agree that I have queries as to whether aerobically he could make it through a full game, though.

Probably the most pleasing aspect for me - aside from the willingness to tackle - was that we finally had a player who seemed intent on moving the ball forwards in straight lines rather than laterally. Given the sheer number of times our forward thrusts ran aground through panicked or just plain poor handballs and kicks, that was the truly refreshing part!

What's this great ball use? Im sure he's good in this department but he didnt show it on the weekend. I never trust someone that kicks the ball from the side. Comes from the school of D.Pearce; his kicking looks good when it comes off, but hardly does.

Looks a exciting prospect tho.
Was running at 88% disposal efficiency for the day. Would have been even higher had Walters not mistimed his leap in his marking attempt for one of Weller's kicks inside 50. I don't think great is overstating it.

I must admit, all this talk of Weller already looking for a trade out of the club to be with his family is worrying me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back