Where Do the Swans Go From Here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to from here?

I'd think fairly stagnant, until the trade ban is lifted. The AFL won't be happy until they've "Brisbane Lioned" us. Or "James Hirded" us.

Our midfield is ageing and getting beaten in halves and quarters. Our defence has stood up reasonably well, but needs renewal. Our attack? We're not a very attack minded team.

We get on Heath Grundy's case sometimes, but if you take him out of the backline, it would be like when Fremantle lost Michael Johnson earlier in the year.

So we need to trade for ruck and KPD defender.

Does Brisbane Lioned mean propped you up for years artificially to ensure you don't go broke again?

Why angry? In local footy the rules are that the team with the extra man on the ground forfeits their score. Always used to be the same in the AFL but obviously they didn't want to punish Sydney. $50,000 is a lunch when you are turning over $60 million dollars. I am not inferring but categorically stating that Sydney has been protected for far too long. Time that they stand on their own feet. Now we are seeing the same crap with GWS. Have to carry them for another 20 years.
That rule applies if the opposition calls for a head count. That didn't happen. Plus the AFL isn't local footy...

Much like all clubs some things go in favour, some thing go against. Sometimes clubs get randomly banned from trading due to personal grudges. The worst thing is fans constantly whinging about other clubs. It's reminiscent of when the ARL expanded to (eventually) become the NRL and the fans of Sydney clubs were constantly frustrated and whinging about interstate clubs getting perceived benefits. Focusing on these things is really just making excuses. Only one team out of 18 actually wins the flag, but a well run club will have opportunities to challenge for the flag. Focus on the footy, forget the crap that goes with it.

Speaking of which, this thread is supposed to be how the Swans should look to progress from here. Would be good to keep on topic.

To trade Tippett we would end up paying his salary anyway so may as well keep him.

KPD is the big issue. Many think Reid should go there but I doubt his strength. Xavier Richards got another game the other week and showed potential but not "pick me" material.

We have two young rucks. Nankervis has been playing but lacks the tank at this stage and is supposedly more of a forward / part time ruck. Naismith has had some injury problems and so also lacks match fitness although was very good in the twos the other week. Maybe Will Minson for next year and those two will come good. Our Ruck coach is a strength so I am optimistic there.

Keiran Jack is interesting. Very poor year. Carried an injury last year and I suspect it is still a problem.

Alex Johnson was on Open Mike last week. Has had a bone graft to fix the holes in the bone early this year. No evidence of infection when they did that. Will have another ACL operation in September so maybe playing late next year and then hopefully rejoin the seniors in 2017. So only a maybe.

Good honest summary. Do you see Tippett playing out his career as a swan?

Witts for something to help satisfy GWS in a trade for Treloar?

I like Witts and want to keep him at Collingwood, and don't think the Pies really need Treloar, but I'd be open to starting a trade conversation with this as the "base offer" to work from:

Sydney get
- Jarrod Witts (from Collingwood)
- Lachlan Plowman (from GWS)

GWS get
- 2015 First Round Draft Pick (from Collingwood)
- 2015 First Round Draft Pick (from Sydney)

Collingwood get
- Adam Treloar (from GWS)
- Sam Reid (from Sydney)

Forget about Witts.Most People would rate Mumford, Phillips and Lobbe ahead of Witts.

Mumford and Lobbe yes, because they're proven veteran ruckmen. But Andrew Phillips? Please. He's smaller, older, shown less at AFL level and shown less potential to improve. Witts is a much more attractive prospect all-round.

I like Witts and want to keep him at Collingwood, and don't think the Pies really need Treloar, but I'd be open to starting a trade conversation with this as the "base offer" to work from:

Sydney get

GWS get

Collingwood get
- Sam Reid (from Sydney)

Mumford and Lobbe yes, because they're proven veteran ruckmen. But Andrew Phillips? Please. He's smaller, older, shown less at AFL level and shown less potential to improve. Witts is a much more attractive prospect all-round.

Interesting proposition above however i'm not sure Sam Reid would be going anywhere. Can i ask what was wrong with Michael Hartleys shoulders when he was delisted from Collingwood? Saw he potentially could have gone to Essendon during NAB cup however failed the medical testing and there was some discussion about him being a potential key defender from VFL that Swans could target being a Penrith boy originally.

Sydney get

GWS get

Collingwood get
- Sam Reid (from Sydney)

Reid > Witts in terms of our structure
1st round pick needed fir Mills

Pass

Can i ask what was wrong with Michael Hartleys shoulders when he was delisted from Collingwood? Saw he potentially could have gone to Essendon during NAB cup however failed the medical testing and there was some discussion about him being a potential key defender from VFL that Swans could target being a Penrith boy originally.

Don't know much about the guy TBH, apart from him being one of Collingwood's selections under the old NSW scholarship system.

If he's showing a bit in the VFL, and has links to the Sydney area, he might be suitable as a PSD or Rookie Draft pick to fill a need for a couple of years.

Hard to disagree, but I also don't blame the club for going after Buddy. Would have been stupid to pass up the opportunity.

Buddy is going to pay off with the bums on the seats for the duration of his contract. Whether he pays off on-field we have to wait and see.

I think it depends heavily on our off field movements

The list needs work yep, but it is not as poor as it has been this year

I think there is something amiss at the club personally

Hard to project where we go, need a ruckman and a key defender, id be happy to trade a supposed gun midfielder or 2 to fix it

We have some decent forward options that we continue to use so poorly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To trade Tippett we would end up paying his salary anyway so may as well keep him.

Not exactly. He's contracted for what 800k? if you got a buyer willing to pay him even 400k thats 400 out of your salary cap bill. Add in retirements of Goodes and Shaw and possible delistings and you've just about wiped out COLA a year early and gained a draft pick of two from the Tippet deal. Surely Sydney have to be looking to end the trade ban a year early, a bit of pain now has to be better than waiting til 2017

Not exactly. He's contracted for what 800k? if you got a buyer willing to pay him even 400k thats 400 out of your salary cap bill. Add in retirements of Goodes and Shaw and possible delistings and you've just about wiped out COLA a year early and gained a draft pick of two from the Tippet deal. Surely Sydney have to be looking to end the trade ban a year early, a bit of pain now has to be better than waiting til 2017

Cant see the swans wanting to throw away the only decent ruck we have though

Cant see the swans wanting to throw away the only decent ruck we have though
It'd definitely depend on the deals available and Sydney's assessment of the value of Tippet in 2016 Vs the early lifting of the trade ban. If it could be done early in trade week allowing Sydney to trade in 2015 I'd imagine that'd be enough to make it happen. Tippett obviously needs to agree to a trade but after his year this year an extended deal locking in his cash for next year then a bit of a haircut may sit comfortably with him

It'd definitely depend on the deals available and Sydney's assessment of the value of Tippet in 2016 Vs the early lifting of the trade ban. If it could be done early in trade week allowing Sydney to trade in 2015 I'd imagine that'd be enough to make it happen. Tippett obviously needs to agree to a trade but after his year this year an extended deal locking in his cash for next year then a bit of a haircut may sit comfortably with him

If its the right move then i think yeah do it, same with any player and yeah as you say wear the pain for a year

I just cant see us doing that

I think the Swans must be thinking of ways to get themselfs out of having to pay Buddy for 7 more years after this.
When he retires with 3 years left on his contract and the Swans are paying him a million a year for 3 more years the pain will really be on.

Agree with cleric above...

Buddy deal is already at tipping point and we are not even at the end of year two..

29 next season and starting to miss games with a bad back.

I don't disagree that the afl have been heavy handed but I reckon your x president should be taking far more heat for signing off on the ridiculous deal.

I feel for swans fans as
The deal was beyond reckless and you are paying for it now with it about to get worse .

Sorry but I think you should go to the source of that article not a property spruicker...

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Perth are 6.09% lower than in Sydney
see: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...a&country2=Australia&city1=Sydney&city2=Perth
Groceries and Restaurants are a lot more expensive in Perth. Travel though involves less distance and less congestion so much more pleasant. Travel costs are cheaper as well.

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Melbourne are 15.57% lower than in Sydney
see: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry2=Australia&city1=Sydney&city2=Melbourne

Our land and car taxes are a lot more expensive here than new .....

Dental and medical costs are more expensive ....also consider everything has to be shipped into wa also from the eastern states ......general living items are imported and then travel to wa .......Adding more costs

Sorry but I think you should go to the source of that article not a property spruicker...

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Perth are 6.09% lower than in Sydney
see: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...a&country2=Australia&city1=Sydney&city2=Perth
Groceries and Restaurants are a lot more expensive in Perth. Travel though involves less distance and less congestion so much more pleasant. Travel costs are cheaper as well.

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Melbourne are 15.57% lower than in Sydney
see: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?

country1=Australia&country2=Australia&city1=Sydney&city2=Melbourne

Our state is bigger .....we use more fuel to get around ......everything has to be transported further distances

Sorry you're wrong Perth is more expensive to live in than Sydney ......the I'm glad cola is being phased out and about bloody time

Sympathy from me .....zero ....welcome to real world swans, the world all the other clubs play by

Our state is bigger .....we use more fuel to get around ......everything has to be transported further distances

Sorry you're wrong Perth is more expensive to live in than Sydney ......the I'm glad cola is being phased out and about bloody time

Sympathy from me .....zero ....welcome to real world swans, the world all the other clubs play by

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated.:thumbsu:

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated.:thumbsu:

The model of players being paid to say a rent top up allowance is fine so long as they are lower paid players

I'm sorry but in the NBA or NFL there no such thing

Californian teams or New York teams aren't allowed allowances for rent even those cities would be far pricier to live in than say Denver or Minnesota ........

It's just stupid .......

My belief all along has been the AFL WANTED a second team in Sydney and the only way to justify that was having the Swans winning flags or being very successful ....that's a a no brainer ......

That's fact and everyone knows it

Californian teams or New York teams aren't allowed allowances for rent even those cities would be far pricier to live in than say Denver or Minnesota ........

They've also got different tax levels state-by-state over there (both state and federal tax in most states), which is an added thing Australians don't have, although high earners still get taxed out the arse no matter where you are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back