Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly Scott Selwood goes into the same category as other failed top picks, you can't turn s**t into chocolate and no amount of sugar is going to make that turd taste sweet.

Sadly Scott Selwood goes into the same category as other failed top picks, you can't turn s**t into chocolate and no amount of sugar is going to make that turd taste sweet.

He was pick 22.

I never ever thought I would read people actually suggesting Mcginnity over Selwood. Granted hes playing some of his worst footy ever, come prelim and possibly GF day (hypothetical of course), I would pick a fit Selwood over Mcginnity anyday. Scooter is the type of player that could recapture his best form in a big game and that form offers us a hell of a lot more than Mcginnity.

I never ever thought I would read people actually suggesting Mcginnity over Selwood. Granted hes playing some of his worst footy ever, come prelim and possibly GF day (hypothetical of course), I would pick a fit Selwood over Mcginnity anyday. Scooter is the type of player that could recapture his best form in a big game and that form offers us a hell of a lot more than Mcginnity.
The thing is it doesn't look like we will have a 'fit' Selwood this year, at least not in the sense that 'fit' generally means 'fit and in form'.

Something's not right with Selwood and hasn't been for ages. Maybe it's a combination of niggles, lack of confidence, and lack of heart given he may have decided to move East a long time ago.

But whatever it is, we're not gonna get Selwood at his best

I now wonder if its like his heart is at Geelong and the poor form/effort thing is just Scotts way of saying to the Eagles you don't want me!

even playing a couple of full games pmac has topped out at 11 disposals, whereas scooter had 19 touches and 12 tackles in round 1 and 25 touches and 8 marks on a friday night at the G against richmond.
I'd rather McGinnity have 11 touches than Selwood have 20+.
Mitigating loss.

This year they've had virtually the same skill level (McGinnity might even be shading Selwood there) and McGinnity has put 100 times more heart into the games he's played. I wouldn't be picking Selwood again for the rest of the year.

Not really sure where this mongrel idea came from. Unless "mongrel" is throwing your head back and flopping like a fish every time you're tackled, in which case Selwood has mongrel in spades.

I"m unashamedly a proponent of Selwood mongrel, ALL the family. Pathetic Gizza, feeble ....

I agree but is that worthy of the risk

Do we reward mediocre play ...Mcginnity ...tough call

His best play I believe is straight out tagger however is there a room for taggers in our team ...rosa can fill that role if need be

Did McGinnity have a pre season?
Which has what to do with not picking him again for the rest of year? And has what to do with effort? And when I say effort I'm not talking about running out games, I'm talking about lack of effort in his tackles and chasing down players. You can say he hasn't had a pre season but if an elite athlete is too tired during the first 10 minutes of the game to be bothered chasing and tackling then they don't have any business in the game. His skills have always been poor, they've just gone to a new level this year, and once again they're poor from the first minute he's on the ground to the last. I can understand if a player doesn't have a preseason and their skills/effort deteriorate later in the game or he's a bit rusty to begin with, but Selwoods are s**t from beginning to end, and he's had enough games to shake off the rust.

Which has what to do with not picking him again for the rest of year? And has what to do with effort? And when I say effort I'm not talking about running out games, I'm talking about lack of effort in his tackles and chasing down players. You can say he hasn't had a pre season but if an elite athlete is too tired during the first 10 minutes of the game to be bothered chasing and tackling then they don't have any business in the game. His skills have always been poor, they've just gone to a new level this year, and once again they're poor from the first minute he's on the ground to the last. I can understand if a player doesn't have a preseason and their skills/effort deteriorate later in the game or he's a bit rusty to begin with, but Selwoods are s**t from beginning to end, and he's had enough games to shake off the rust.
Apart from that Geelong really missed him tonight.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott can play when fit. Simpson has a game plan the requires good foot skills and fast ball movement.

While Scott can run all day and is tough and previously a very good defensive player he lacks the traits required to fit in the team now.

He is a casualty of the game plan but will be a good player at the cats

And shank it from 20 out

I think its time to start campainging for selwood. We need to only talk posititives to make sure the world knows we think he is required cant afford to lose him and drive his price up.

Interesting who would you rather take a kick 20 m out to win the grand final ?

Is the game drawn? Coz if so I think I'd rather have McGinnity handball it through.

Bit harsh.

Played some great games for us and won a B&F.

Likely to get a end of first round compensation for him also.

Hardly a bust.

Scott can play when fit. Simpson has a game plan the requires good foot skills and fast ball movement.

While Scott can run all day and is tough and previously a very good defensive player he lacks the traits required to fit in the team now.

He is a casualty of the game plan but will be a good player at the cats

I just think Marsten has significantly improved ......and he now takes his gut running role ....

Selwood is not great overhead either ....

Bit harsh.

Played some great games for us and won a B&F.

Likely to get a end of first round compensation for him also.

Hardly a bust.

Yeah agree ...we are resigned to him leaving ....he might not leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back