All Australian thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Check the man's champion data/player rating stats. Easily All Australian.

He doesn't bother with cheap possessions. He wins clearances, gets score involvements, tackles and kicks goals. A 20 touch game for him is sooooo much better than 25-30 for almost all other mids. The AFL played rankings support that wholeheartedly.

Coaches don't seem to rank him as highly though. Before this week he was 74th overall with 27 votes and he has only been in both coaches top 5 in 2 games all year.

Talia
Danger
Betts
Laird
in that order are locks.
Jacobs stiff over Goldstein, but Goldy has been too superior.
Walker up against the likes of Gunston, Kennedy and Cameron. Cos its the forward role, you go those 3 over Walker, but Tex has been awesome this year.
Could make a case for 4 talls
Neither Talia, Laird or even Betts is a lock. Don't know how you can even consider naming Talia a lock when almost everyone has Hurley/Rance as the 2 KPDs.

Neither Talia, Laird or even Betts is a lock. Don't know how you can even consider naming Talia a lock when almost everyone has Hurley/Rance as the 2 KPDs.
Talia is very under-rated. I can't think of the last FF that has kicked more than a goal or two on him.

Talia is very under-rated. I can't think of the last FF that has kicked more than a goal or two on him.
I'd say he's been as good or at least close to Hurley and Rance defensively, but both Rance and Hurley offer way more in terms of rebound from defence which is why I think they are ahead of Talia.

I'd say he's been as good or at least close to Hurley and Rance defensively, but both Rance and Hurley offer way more in terms of rebound from defence which is why I think they are ahead of Talia.

That's the million dollar question. Will the AA selectors look at who does the best stopping job, who does the best intercepting and rebounding, something else? Will they go for one of each role, maybe?

Talia
Danger
Betts
Laird
in that order are locks.
Walker up against the likes of Gunston, Kennedy and Cameron. Cos its the forward role, you go those 3 over Walker, but Tex has been awesome this year.
Talia is definitely not a lock, and also definitely not more of a lock than Dangerfield and Betts.

Dangerfield is an absolute nailed on lock. I'd say Betts is probably in that category now as well, as he's pulled well ahead of Bruest in the last few weeks.

Jacobs is no chance. They'll either pick Goldstein and Naitanui or just Goldstein.

Laird has been awesome and is a good chance without being a lock. Ditto Walker, Ditto Talia.

Talia
Danger
Betts
Laird
in that order are locks.
Ok. The team 7th on the ladder has 4 locks from a team of 22.
None of those players are locks.

That's the million dollar question. Will the AA selectors look at who does the best stopping job, who does the best intercepting and rebounding, something else? Will they go for one of each role, maybe?
Stas wise I believe Rance loses the least 1 on 1s in the comp, along with the rebound. Rance locks down as well as intercepts and rebounds.

Ok. The team 7th on the ladder has 4 locks from a team of 22.
None of those players are locks.

I'd like to think that Dangerfield and Betts will make the AA team, regardless of whether they play on the weekend or not. They could play this week, get no touches between them and still make the team.

I'd like to think that Dangerfield and Betts will make the AA team, regardless of whether they play on the weekend or not. They could play this week, get no touches between them and still make the team.

Betts is far from a lock, but he is in the mix. Depends on the makeup of the forwardline that they go with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H. Shaw Hurley Boyd
Wood Rance Laird
Dangerfield Pendlebury Gaff
Gray Kennedy Wingard
Betts Stringer Gunston

Goldstein Fyfe Hannebery

Hodge Mitchell Kennedy Priddis

Remaining 18 members of the squad:

n/a Talia n/a
Murphy McPharlin Ibbotson
Deledio Armitage Swan
Martin Walker Higgins
Walters Cameron Breust

Sandilands Mundy Neale

Naitanui Rioli

Who have I missed?

Who shouldn't be in?

Danger
Betts
Laird
Talia
Walker

Should all be in the squad, 3/4 for the final team. Jacobs is another one, he won't be in the team but he beat Nic Nat on the weekend and overall his stats are better than Nic Nats. Surely 4 ruckman for the squad isn't too many either way.

Last edited:
Who would you regard as a lock then?

Kennedy, Fyfe, Rance, Hurley, Hannerberry, Dangerfield, Gokdstein, Wingard are my locks. The others are in a bunch below. Can see them overlooking Betts to be honest.

Coaches don't seem to rank him as highly though. Before this week he was 74th overall with 27 votes and he has only been in both coaches top 5 in 2 games all year.
Just cracked the top 20 overall in the player ratings. More than 2 years younger than the next youngest (libba) to ever break into the top 20.

Clearly not the be all and end all, but his season has been seriously underrated. Footy media and fans get swept up in overall number of touches. Bonti does the things that win games. All while getting heavily tagged as a 19 year old.

Kennedy, Fyfe, Rance, Hurley, Hannerberry, Dangerfield, Gokdstein, Wingard are my locks. The others are in a bunch below. Can see them overlooking Betts to be honest.

Fair enough. I don't see how you can have Hurley as a lock, but not have Betts, but you are entitled to your opinion.

There aren't too many years that a small forward has kicked 50+ goals and missed the AA team. 2009 was probably the last time that happened. Mark Le Cras kicked 58 goals and Jason Porplyzia kicked 57 goals, yet both of them missed out on the team, with Leon Davis the only small forward selected (with 35 goals).

The other forward spots that year were given to 3 talls (Brown, Fevola and Riewoldt) and 2 midfielders (Chapman and Swan). Must have been one of those years that they wanted a dozen midfielders in the team.

It's a bit of a joke that Betts (Or any of the other small forwards discussed) will get an AA spot to be honest. His selection would be purely stat based.

Apart from a month of really strong football, he just hasn't been the unstoppable force that Wingard or Stringer have been for most of the year.

I'd prefer to just have an extra mid/fwd in the team for the last forward spot.

It's a bit of a joke that Betts (Or any of the other small forwards discussed) will get an AA spot to be honest. His selection would be purely stat based.

Apart from a month of really strong football, he just hasn't been the unstoppable force that Wingard or Stringer have been for most of the year.

I'd prefer to just have an extra mid/fwd in the team for the last forward spot.

Would you prefer players made the team based on non-statistical reasons? Ask the Crows board what they think about non-statistical roles! :D

Seriously though, the number of goals a forward kicks should have a decent influence on how good a forward they have been. Obviously things like score assists, tackles, pressure acts, etc. come into it, but most forwards are there to kick the ball between the two big white sticks.

Does anyone find it funny that one of last years AA backmen (Hooker) just toweled up one of his fellow AA backmen (Rance) in wet conditions playing out of position.

Hooker deserves a spot on the bench this year for his efforts, just saying.

I am positive that without both Hurley and Hooker Essendon would have lost every game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back