Should WA secede

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A secession referendum was held on 8 April 1933 in the Australian state of Western Australia, on the proposal that the state withdraw from the Australian Federation.[1] The proposal won a majority of the votes and a petition to give effect to the decision was subsequently sent to the British Parliament, where a parliamentary joint select committee ruled it invalid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australian_secession_referendum,_1933

Its a question being asked again:
http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/western-australia-should-secede-and-stop-subsidising-the-east-20150910-gjj8f7

Secession would also stop the conveyor belt of money from West to East. Most of us support some degree of welfare for individuals in need, but the idea that an entire state can be needy is ridiculous. Western Australia transfers more than $25 billion a year to needy states, equivalent to around $10,000 a year from each West Australian.

Even the AFL are into it with WA fans paying high prices for footy, effectively subsidising fans who wont/don't pay full price.

that 25 billion you'd save would be eaten up on defended alone, and then some.

But by all means feel free to **** off. The fewer conservative states we have in the federation, the better the rest of us would be.

You want to increase taxes ... what rate do you estimate GST needs go to 17.5% ?

Hell no. Too small a base to choose a government from. Can't trust state politicians now. The danger of succession is having a worse and more corrupt system of government. Just no.

So what is going to happen to all the defence jobs currently based in WA? The Navy will just split it between Darwin, Townsville and other bases. The army will move special forces training to Queensland or maybe back to Victoria. So what will happen to Defence and border protection, people smugglers in Indonesia will love this.

Then we see the federal police go and customs, so WA has to create a customs force and expand the police department another billion. Then we get into the costs to actually set up the new country which will run into the billions. And how will all this be paid for? taxes. Income taxes, GST increases across the board which means more public servants to run all of this.

Sure secede but firstly ask yourself do you want to pay another 10% of your income going in tax?

Never wanted to join in the first place, and is now never going to leave.

Would be nice if the states had as much power as they were meant to have in the first place, instead of Canberra just sucking up as much as they can for themselves and leaving the states to fight for scraps. Would go a long way to reducing the unease towards the east.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the other states have to agree before WA can secede?

Anyway, I am an Australian first, so I would never agree to it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the other states have to agree before WA can secede?

I think they do, but some states might want more independence themselves, they might actually agree. If states had more independence then this wouldn't be an issue, WA have been bent over in recent times, but if we (Australia) shift away from the mining sector, like we should, then WA could face a downturn, and they could be the one benefiting in the future. WA are entitled to feel short changed, because a lot of the money taken off of them during the boom - could've been spent on infrastructure, etc. Which would've put them in better stead than they are atm. I'd be annoyed to if I were a West Aussie.

And that's why it's never going to happen. WA is not Scotland or Quebec.

As others have pointed they'd be kissing goodbye every federal department there and the money 'saved' from not paying fealty to Canberra would need to be spent replacing and maintaining these. First world countries are expensive to run.

It's right wing/libertarian fantasy stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the better question is should Victoria secede?

This federation business has done nothing for us we keep being held back the corrupt NSW and the conservative numpties in Queensland and WA not to mention having to fund SA and Tasmania and only getting back hate. ;) :D

If any state could go it alone it would probably be Victoria.

Last edited:
Yeh, you sound pretty fair minded. Your not related to Wookie are you?

are you upset I didn't claim that parochial Tasmanians were the biggest tossers? because having spent a fair bit in both states, I feel Tassie has improved markedly in this regard over the last 3 decades. WA, not so much.

are you upset I didn't claim that parochial Tasmanians were the biggest tossers? because having spent a fair bit in both states, I feel Tassie has improved markedly in this regard over the last 3 decades. WA, not so much.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the direction income has been redistributed in.

Succeed at what?

BbgL7x3.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back