Where Do the Swans Go From Here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure you're not mixing up Talia with his brother, or even Jordan Roughead? Michael Talia is reasonably poor one-on-one, but ok as a rebounding type.

I sincerely hope you've confused him with someone, because your posting is absolutely embarrassing otherwise.
Rebounding defender? Go and have a nap....

Surely you guys would be better off going for a genuine KPD, rather than Talia who would ideally play as a third tall defender? How is Allir Allir tracking? KPD stocks seem incredibly thin at the Swans.

Well I'm just glad he's finally made an impact as a mature age player taken in the first round.

Gary Rohan surely can't continue to be thought of as an AFL standard player? Injured all the time, and pretty ordinary when he's not.

I was hoping to switch off big footy for a bit but...

aren't kpd just thin across the league ?

the idea that the swans exclusively are so short of players is a little frustrating because everyone is short of players. and that includes all of the other top eight teams.

chaplin is derided. mcpharlin is weeks away from finishing. Lake is probably finished. North's talls are all short or slow. Lonergan gets beaten one on one a lot. I could go on (the only real exception is west coast who luckily had some depth because they all went down at once).

We play in a draft distributed salary capped league. Talent will be spread around reasonably thinly. Some clubs will have great stocks of runners. Others with defenders and so on. Thats what list management is for. We will have one major hole which is shaw and a lesser one in jetta. We dont have anyone who can immediately become the rebounding defender - rohan plays too tall, jones not quite attacking enough. We dont have any immediately obvious wingers who can kick like jetta, but cunningham has the pace and lloyd the footskills, without quite the penetration. but thats what coaching and list management is for again.

On the towers point - its a point that our board has brought up - but do try and firstly have a look at that draft and see how many other players have had an impact and 2 realise that he was pick 22 in a draft compromised by father-sons and the special pick stuff - so our first pick was really more like 25-27. And he mightnt ever set the world on fire - but either do a lot of players drafted in the 22-28 range.

Gary Rohan - daniel menzel. some players just dont get a lot of luck in their career. They are the woulda shoulda coulda players. In any case hes never had a real crack at a single position. You have to remember that goodes under rodney eade never settled into a position and it wasnt until roos played him as a mobile ruck that footy clicked for him. It might be the same for gaz. He might just need to be given a position instead of being shunted from ff to hff to hbf to wing

Are you one of those Swans fans who sits around in their little red hat and scarf, clapping the famous numbers 23 and 37 for reasons that are beyond you?

Please talk me through why Gary Rohan, pick 6 in the 2009 draft, should not be under the pump? "Oh but he had a bad injury 4 years ago". Was shit before it, is shit now.

I dont want to get into the keyboard warriors stink but the daniel menzel comparison is apt. he doesnt need to find the ball more than 12 times - weve got hanners, and mitchell and jpk and parker etc for that. he simply needs to kick a goal have two score involvements 6 pressure acts and 4 tackles if he plays forward of the ball. and if he plays behind the ball have 15-18 possessions, 2 bounces, and kick at 75% efficiency. he may never be a superstar but his pace, tackling pressure and closing speed as well as his height are all very valuable assets.

I dont want to get into the keyboard warriors stink but the daniel menzel comparison is apt. he doesnt need to find the ball more than 12 times - weve got hanners, and mitchell and jpk and parker etc for that. he simply needs to kick a goal have two score involvements 6 pressure acts and 4 tackles if he plays forward of the ball. and if he plays behind the ball have 15-18 possessions, 2 bounces, and kick at 75% efficiency. he may never be a superstar but his pace, tackling pressure and closing speed as well as his height are all very valuable assets.

Plus when he runs he opens up the play and he makes things happen, something that is a very valuable asset at the Swans.

Might want to maybe tune into a few more Dogs games, "champion". Bloke is a ball magnet.
Seen plenty thanks Champ, I wasnt aware you play rebounding defenders on the likes of Franklin, Josh Kennedy, Riewoldt, Roughead, Walker... You do realise he played on all these players this year?

Rohan really isn't even an average player and never was, but I don't think the Swans have great runners so they've been pretty determined to develop him. Every team has a guy that gets flak but plays because he offers something different or special. Clinton Young was that guy for us for years, we had less leg speed than now and he had a massive (inaccurate) long kick which besides Dew we never really had from anyone else.

You mean to say he's shorter than noted 3rd defender Lachie Hansen?

He plays CHB/FB at the Dogs for lack of other options.

"Champion".
Oh yeah he alslo played on Patrick Ryder, and Joe Daniher, obviously jobs for a 3rd tall..... You are utterly clueless champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you not think you're being a bit hysterical? They have been backed by most to challenge the past few years, and rightly so.

Goodes and Shaw have retired. Richards, McVeigh and Grundy are looking tired. Buddy has a huge cloud over him at the moment, Reid always does. Jetta is leaving and Rohan hasn't reached potential hurting their run. Pike is cooked.

Hanneberry, Parker, Heeney, JPK, Smith, Tippett, Jack (x2) and Mitchell are all top shelf but there are serious questions about the depth of the list for the first time in years.

I've said it before on another thread.
I'll repeat it here.

Post Kelly, Lockett, Roos etc. Swans are stuffed! We build a list that goes on to win the 2005 p'ship & just lose the 2006 p'ship by 1 point.

Post Leo Barry, MOL, Craig Bolton, Brett Kirk, Barry Hall, Jolly. Swans are really stuffed! We build a list that goes on to win the 2012 p'ship, play in the 2013 prelim, 2014 GF etc.

Post Adam Goodes, Jude Bolton, R O'Keefe, Rhyce Shaw, Malceski etc. Swans are stuffed this time FOR SURE! We build a list that (enter p'ship year here)!

A well run club with great list management over a span of 15 to 20 years has been planned. Yes we may have a slow year or two while putting game time into some youngsters, but as a supporter I know that that doesn't rule us out of perhaps challenging the good teams in finals. We have a great system.

The Hawks have....................ummm..........................Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne for only a short time longer & you know only too well that when Hodge & Mitchell don't have great games (enter what happens here)!

Oh yeah he alslo played on Patrick Ryder, and Joe Daniher, obviously jobs for a 3rd tall..... You are utterly clueless champ.

Feel free to list the Dogs other "key" defenders, mate. They're in just about as poor a state as the Swans, of course he was going to be asked to play CHB/FB, as I've already said in this thread.

But go wild with your ridiculous attempts at belittling me, throwing around your champs and your champions, instead of actually offering insight.

Sorry mate when u make this comparison u cant point out others lack of insight.Murdoch ever played as a lead up tall forward? or ever apply constant tackle pressure.Pace is the only similar attribute of these two

Yeah he's done both of those things, as well as play on the wing, and across half back.

I'd probably have him ahead of Rohan at this point.

You've either got very low standards, or you're deluded. The bloke averaged 11 possessions a game this year, in what may have been his best season since he was drafted. There's no denying his positive attributes, he is quick, he does have good hands, he is not a bad kick, but the fact remains that he is unable to find the footy. Not sure how long you can carry that kind of player in your team. Hasn't improved in 6 years on the list, after being pick 6. Trade bait, I'd have thought.
Actually I just base my opinion on more than disposal numbers. Average disposals is a very poor method to judge at any time, but particularly for a player who has suffered in-game injuries, been stuck in the sub vest, etc.

There is a 0% chance that the Swans would be looking to use Rohan as trade bait. Your comment really just sounds like you haven't watched much of his season. The first half of this year up until his injury was excellent, and you just don't get many players of that speed - especially when combined with strong overhead marking ability. One game at the SCG earlier this year Rohan made a big spoil in defensive 50, ran the ball out and kicked to the wing, then was on the end of the resultant inside 50 - all in the space of about 20 seconds. That was not a one-off either, his output pre-injuries was outstanding. I don't think you'll find many Swans fans hoping to lose him.

Rohan is not a 30-touch midfielder, but he is ridiculously and can be played as a utility at both ends of the ground. It sounds like Jetta may be on his way out, in which case we'll likely see Rohan used more often in open space next season.

Feel free to list the Dogs other "key" defenders, mate. They're in just about as poor a state as the Swans, of course he was going to be asked to play CHB/FB, as I've already said in this thread.

But go wild with your ridiculous attempts at belittling me, throwing around your champs and your champions, instead of actually offering insight.
So you are going ignore the fact Talia gets all the big jobs abd maintain he's a third tall? Maybe take on some of your own advice and watch some Dogs footy. Utterly clueless

So you are going ignore the fact Talia gets all the big jobs abd maintain he's a third tall? Maybe take on some of your own advice and watch some Dogs footy. Utterly clueless

That's not what I've said at all. I've said Talia is doing, or rather, getting the "big jobs" for lack of a better option at the Dogs.

Let's not forget that Mark Austin was keeping Talia out of the team last year, or that Talia has been dropped a couple of times this year.

Last edited:
I've said it before on another thread.
I'll repeat it here.

Post Kelly, Lockett, Roos etc. Swans are stuffed! We build a list that goes on to win the 2005 p'ship & just lose the 2006 p'ship by 1 point.

Post Leo Barry, MOL, Craig Bolton, Brett Kirk, Barry Hall, Jolly. Swans are really stuffed! We build a list that goes on to win the 2012 p'ship, play in the 2013 prelim, 2014 GF etc.

Post Adam Goodes, Jude Bolton, R O'Keefe, Rhyce Shaw, Malceski etc. Swans are stuffed this time FOR SURE! We build a list that (enter p'ship year here)!

A well run club with great list management over a span of 15 to 20 years has been planned. Yes we may have a slow year or two while putting game time into some youngsters, but as a supporter I know that that doesn't rule us out of perhaps challenging the good teams in finals. We have a great system.

Thats pretty much what I said. I never said they were 'stuffed'. You guys are being a bit sensitive in this thread.

The Hawks have....................ummm..........................Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne for only a short time longer & you know only too well that when Hodge & Mitchell don't have great games (enter what happens here)!

Not sure what the Hawks have to do with the topic. There are many many other threads discussing Hawthorn where this might be more relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back