Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Very clever Elvis
b4fc4aaa227a660b0485fe4d7192ba36b2602e7f4ec0a4ce9348b9649a9af4b7.jpg

People forget how important Chappy is to our setup . Remember the Melbourne game that he didn't play and Rance got smashed by Hogan. Is Astbury capable of taking over that setup/general/organiser role? If. So great keep Astbury groom him to play that role. If not we dont have a right to hold onto him whilst he plays in the 2s when he has opportunity to play seniors elsewhere. As others have mentioned he falls into the griffiths basket where they have a bit of currency at the trade table.

The risk for both brisbane and us when talking Astbury needs to be taken into account. IMO a perfect win/win would be to swap Astbury for a player on Brisbane list who has talent but could do with a change. That way both clubs get plenty of upside and are no worse if they dont come on.

Anyone come to mind ?

Talk from within the Club is if Elton can manage to stop bodying up on his opponent in a contest or at least not win a one on one and also learn to point more, then the position is his. Not being able to hit a target by foot over 30m is negotiable at this stage.

:eek::p...........You Rock !!! , but you already knew that...:oops:

Astbury has real talent and would have been very useful against North.

We will need another KPD in a couple of years once Chappy drops off. And Astbury can take the monsters. If the deal is good and we can get value then OK. But in general I reckon he is needed. An injury to Rance :)thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:) or Chapman, or even Grimes and we need another KPD.

I rate Astbury and thought 12 months ago he would be the long term successor to Chaplin.

That being said, I would be open to trading him.

I love the bloke, seems like a hard worker and appears to have a good attitude given he's had to be patient due to injuries/players ahead of him. Not only that, but I think he deserves to have the chance to be a regular player and if he can get that somewhere else, it would be nice to see the club trying to help him achieve that.

If it helped us get say Redden (package our second rounder and Astbury maybe), it would be a great deal IMO. Elton looks like he's going to be the one to take Chaplin's spot in the future plus we still have Grimes and Batch who are both young and capable of covering if needed.

Wont help get redden will help with yarran

Why? Surely Brisbane have 3 players we would be interested in (to varying degrees) who (may) want out.

Luenberger, Aish and Redden.

If Astbury + our first pick would land 2 of these surely that would be in the right ballpark?

Talk of Astbury and our second round in exchange for Brisbanes round 2 pick is utterly ridiculous. Highway robbery for Brisbane, he is worth more then a 9-10 pick upgrade.

Yes - even Astbury and our First would not even go close to giving us their First (2nd overall). Good + Good Does not equal Great.

Why? Surely Brisbane have 3 players we would be interested in (to varying degrees) who (may) want out.

Luenberger is a free agent anyway while Aish seems to wont to go to collingwood while Redden wants to go to perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Astbury actually announced that he wants to be traded?
Not that I'm aware of but since according to the thread title, he's being pursued and he simply can't break into the team at Richmond, you can infer that he'd at least consider any offers for more game time.

I still dont get why he isnt best 22 in the backline, was flying before his injury last season.
We played him forward early in the season when he came back and wasnt suited imo.
The elim showed us we still struggle against tall marking forwards, still a required player for mine.
In hindsight would have been good in the elim against waite, might have stopped a few goals. I would persist as I see him as the one to replace chaplin in the next couple of years. Has shown much more than Elton has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back