Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me if he plays any good games next year I can't imagine a likely scenario where I'll think he is doing it for anyone other than himself and I'll be wondering if the extra year of development invested in him couldn't have been better spent on a replacement who actively wanted to be at the club.

He's out of contract. If he really wanted out he'd be out. That is the way it works these days bob.

"Interested in a trade to Collingwood" has been used as contract leverage for decades.

I think this really is as it seems... Aish was undecided, and now it seems he may have made a decision. I am far, far, far from confident he will be a Lion for life... but in today's environment, I reckon that applies to just about every player on our list whose name isn't Rockliff.

Welcome to the new world order. Love the colours, the jumper and the song wholeheartedly... but the love for players has to be kept in check just a little bit. I don't like it either but Aishlike negotiations will become more and more common.

Pickering is an amateur when it comes to negotiating tough contracts. These guys know how to really do it:

Seattle Seahawks used the second overall pick of the 1993 NFL draft to select quarterback Rick Mirer from Notre Dame. He had an outstanding college career behind him and he was presented as the new Joe Montana. But he had more than that: he hired Marvin Demoff and Don Yee as his agents, who are known today as the agents of a certain Mr. Tom Brady.

Demoff and Yee were really tough guys to negotiate with. To discuss rookie deals for top picks wasn’t a piece of cake back then, but Demoff and Yee made it even harder. Eventually Mirer got his five year, USD 15 million contract, and the abrasiveness of Yee resulted in including the clause that guaranteed Mirer’s salary under all conditions, “up to and including the end of the world.”
Wowzers.

You've got a different read on "the play" to me, fair enough.

Either way, given the high amount of list turnover we will see this year regardless, I don't think Aish will be really taking someone's spot.

If the most pessimistic outlook is accurate, I am happy with re-signing him to a deal 2 years or over. If he wants to be a Pie at the end of 2016, they can make an offer commensurate to his value as a contracted player.

Seems to be though based on a casual glance at social media that he seems to be increasingly connected with his teammates. Let's just wait this one out.

For those pinning it all on his manager, Aish ultimately calls the shots on whether he signs or not.

Well, yes, Pickering doesn't have legal guardianship :p

But he is clearly a manager you hire to push hard for dollars and whatever else you want. You don't sign Pickering if you just want any old accredited agent to just follow your orders and do the boring paperwork for you. Aish would inform Pickering of his desires and Pickering devises the negotiation strategy.

Ultimately though, you're right, the final decision is Aish's, and if he decides to stay, you have to allow the possibility that he may have got what he wanted.

Out of curiosity, if Aish re-signs now, how will folks feel about him?

I ask because for me Bradshaw never came close to being a fave because he played a similar game (at a time when the club was less...desperate...). For pretty much all of this past season I felt particularly remote from Aish to the point where I can't envisage getting excited about him re-signing. If he does re-sign I'll just assume that he went to market, didn't find a better offer so he will focus on showing better form and see what's around for every season henceforth, regardless of contract status. Welcome to the world of virtually unrestricted free agency...

Just wondering if I'm an outlier in this regard, or...

Depends on the contract length and if Picknose continues as his manager :cool:

******* lol @ the people on the collingwood board thinking that we are bullying him into signing a new contract.
Who cares what they think?

******* lol @ the people on the collingwood board thinking that we are bullying him into signing a new contract.

Really? I think most of them are used to their club being used as leverage in trade week.

It seems more and more likely that Lethal's comments may have been framed about Aish, but they were really aimed at the next wantaway types.

Lethal's "strategy" actually makes sense if they'd already given the nod that Aish was staying. The lack of outrage from Pickering was pretty telling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just happy to be keeping another top 10 talent on the list. Doesn't matter how late he re-signs, he has a notorious manager, but Aish himself has handled himself with dignity the whole way through, copping a lot of heat from our own supporters and others alike. Let's cut him some slack and love him because he's about to be one of us.

09aa049a180cb206171b498a0490fd87.jpg

"It's dignity! Gah! Don't you even know dignity when you see it?"

Screen shot 2015-10-05 at 9.59.52 PM.png

Good on him. He's handled it all professionally, whatever happens. I prefer that to "I want out and I want it to go just like this" that we've become accustomed to. Even if we lose him, at least it's less ugly this time.

I for one am very excited to see him re-sign! Look forward to seeing how far he can develop.

IMO he would the biggest re-signing we have had since Browny looked at his options in 2008. The club can now claim to be moving forward with their player development/retention programs.

All is well that ends well. Of course be hasn't re-signed yet, until then, I am still being cautious about this news.

We are caught in a tricky situation (maybe from our own doing maybe not) but in order for a premiership side to take shape you can't pay everybody top dollar in their price bracket but it would seem the lure of money is what it might take to keep our players. To say good on him for doing it is saying it is ok for everybody to have a crack this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back