Brownlow 2023 - CONGRATS TWO TIME WINNER LACHIE NEALE

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, you mean the game where Nick Daicos had 38 touches plus two goals, yet received zero votes? Yes, Lachie was hard done by.
That's exactly an example of some of the terrible logic with people blindly posting these stats "gotchas". Daicos was invisible until well after the game was out of hand, most memorably squibbed a contest or two, racked up possessions late and had negligible overall impact.

The guy will absolutely be favourite next year, and probably deservedly. He had plenty of really dominant games where he was clearly BOG. But pulling out stats for the Lions game as if he should have gotten something for it is really a plus for the umpires ignoring a performance that wasn't the best despite "omg numbers".

Lachie Neale has established himself as one of the all time greats of the game.
So proud that he is a Lion.

o_OFancy coming on to another teams board and arguing as to why our player should not have won the Brownlow....my god, there are some miserable, petty and very sore losers out there....

..what a pack of whingers they must be in their every day life, having to find fault with everything that does not go their way.

Never heard the saying in sport to "accept the umpires decision"?

..in this case that means literally. Lachie Neale won the Brownlow so suck it up peoples, go back to bed and get some sleep. You must be awfully tired from all the complaining..

Oh wow! I honestly didn't think he would win tonight so absolutely rapt for Lachie....in fact those damn tears appeared again.

Well done Lachie, you have done yourself and club so proud.
Let's talk about the only interesting part of the night.

Hey MacMum, what are your thoughts on the outfits?

Moore's wife wore a beauty.

Oh, you mean the game where Nick Daicos had 38 touches plus two goals, yet received zero votes? Yes, Lachie was hard done by.

Daicos will win three Brownlow’s before he’s done. He’s 20 years old. Don’t stress too much about it.

Well done Neale on a great session. Was well deserved.
I feel embarrassed for the All Australian selectors. Buckley, Betts, Cornes, Gill, Pav, Bartlet, Kane(Laura), Bolton, Johbson, Jacko, Ling and Dillion......they didn't pick the best player in the comp (officially voted as). View attachment 1814066

Reminiscent of AFLW B&F 2022 winner Ally Anderson no All Australian selection either.
May need new selectors perhaps?
This. We had this debate when all Australian team announced. I said at the time it was mind boggling Josh Daicos gets picked before him (when wingers have been ignored for years). Lachie is simply a gun footballer and josh daicos isn’t in the same category.

Sorry to post yet another tweet, but I pretty much said this to a relative last night. When Lachie won in 2020 he was the absolute standout player, no Vic-based players were even close, and he was able to get the maximum exposure due to Covid (more people watching). This year, Victorian players had amazing years and a heap of exposure, so Lachie's year was overshadowed, which is why it's a "shock" he won.

Every POTY award is a midfielders medal. Why do people hate on the Brownlow for this?
Because they didn't pick the midfielder he wanted, duh!

That's exactly an example of some of the terrible logic with people blindly posting these stats "gotchas". Daicos was invisible until well after the game was out of hand, most memorably squibbed a contest or two, racked up possessions late and had negligible overall impact.

The guy will absolutely be favourite next year, and probably deservedly. He had plenty of really dominant games where he was clearly BOG. But pulling out stats for the Lions game as if he should have gotten something for it is really a plus for the umpires ignoring a performance that wasn't the best despite "omg numbers".

Surprised Bradd Dalziell didn’t win more Brownlows

This was the first year the umpires were banned from having their phones during the voting process. Also, in the past the emergency umpire would discuss the players with the on-field umpires after the game, that hasn't occurred this year.

- from SEN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love reading a salty Collingwood poster's posts the day after. LoL
Be careful, consuming too much of their salt can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke

Obviously this weekend isn't the time to start doing it, but if you're at a game take 5 minutes out to follow Neale's movement and actions. Wins his own footy, cool under pressure, makes good decisions. So impressive.

I thought it was ridiculous he didn't get AA selection. Thought he would win the medal, but was told I was biased... by Vics, yes.

Is the lack of a premiership the only thing holding him back from being considered as the best Lion ever? This weekend will hopefully trigger the debate, at least.

Great win and thoroughly deserved.

Edit: or maybe you can follow him for 5 minutes in the last quarter... means the game is over!!

Jarryd Lyons VFL B&F Lachie Neale AFL B&F Ally Anderson AFLW B&F.

The ABC guys with excellent analysis as usual - not wasting time writing about who got what vote in what game, but looking into Lachie's game this year:

This season wasn't the smoothest ride for Neale. Late in the season, his Brownlow hopes looked over when a flu and niggling injuries took their toll in what has been the longest season to date.

Neale's form tailed off and the Lions looked a little shaky coming into the final stretch of the season.

"I feel like personally, my form is average from when I'm at my best. I don't feel like I'm letting the team down though." Neale told Fox Footy in August.

Rather than resting on his laurels, Neale did what he does best and put in the hard yards to get back on track.

"I feel like I pride myself on my preparation and watching vision but I've doubled down on that," he said.

"I've doubled down on my touch, my stoppage craft and speak to people close to me that I trust and know my game as well as I do and figure out just small parts where I'm probably not at my best and what I can do to get back to that."

That hard work saw him win seven votes in the last three rounds to overtake and hold off the rest of the pack. It also saw him become the oldest Brownlow medallist for nearly two decades, and the fourth-oldest in more than four decades.

Despite their star-studded midfield, the Lions struggled a bit at the coalface last year.

The question wasn't talent but, instead, balance — having the necessary parts to both win the ball and use it well. It is often a part of the game that is hard to pinpoint.

The Lions desperately tried to infuse more pace and size into their midfield grouping late in the season, with little success.

1695685404690.png
The 2022 trade period saw a reshaping of the group. Former Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley nominated Brisbane as his new home, bringing immediate size and burst to the club. The Lions were also able to add talented youngster and goal-of-the-year winner Will Ashcroft, whose ability vastly outmatched his age.

Alongside some other shifts, it reset the identity of the Brisbane midfield.

These moves largely pushed Neale closer to the inside of the contest, forcing him to sacrifice some of his line-breaking skill to focus on the inside part of his game. The move has paid off in spades for both the club and Neale.

1695685451240.png

No-one has won more clearances this year than Neale, who was often used to release his explosive Lions counterparts. Neale's ability to not only cleanly pick up a disputed ball but also use it effectively shines out.

Neale's focus has long been not on his own performance, but on making his team better.

That often leads to his work being lost for the trees and bodies around him, camouflaged by a cacophony of athletes in motion. It could also be why the umpires have rated his impact higher than the All-Australian judges, given their close vantage point in these contests.

1695685503234.png

Lions Players Brownlow Votes

Lachie Neale – 31
Joe Daniher – 12
Will Ashcroft – 10
Harris Andrews – 8
Charlie Cameron – 8
Zac Bailey – 5
Josh Dunkley – 4
Keidean Coleman – 3
Jack Gunston – 3
Hugh McCluggage – 3
Cam Rayner – 2
Jarrod Berry – 1
Eric Hipwood – 1
Daniel Rich – 1

If Lachie could handball with his right hand he’d win by 10 votes every year.

In all seriousness so happy that he won, massively underrated and I’ve left games this year thinking he hasn’t done much only to watch the replay and see his impact.

So glad that the Brownlow isn’t like NBA MVP which becomes a circle jerk for media to craft narratives for their own shows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back