Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure? If right then i can't work out why nobody nominates us then.
Apart from Danger, who else do we want? A CHB who wants to cruise, 2 FF who we don't need, outside mids who don't want to win their own ball, injury prone tall guys, lots of players who aren't better than who we have. Also, a guy who rejected us last year. Who (apart from Danger) do you want?

Note: I am actually happy we haven't been nominated yet.

People in full panic mode having meltdowns before the trade period has even started, just pace yourselves a bit.

At least wait until trade week starts before throwing yourselves off cliffs when VitalDread mentions Nahas to the Dogs....

I'm all for getting Suckling, if Bev thinks he's the one to fit our system. His long spearing kicks and run surely must help. Suckling would be experienced with the latest positioning and selfless football as practised by the Hawks.

It was noticeable in the grand final how under pressure lobs into the forward line by West Coast made their task so much more difficult.
Yep and in tight close games they happen regularly, so having big Tommy Boyd under the ball should help in the future.

Whenever I see a Matt Boyd or Crossy up and under kick from years' past I shudder.

Players who can't be precise in their disposal are liabilities in finals.
Watch the 1st half of our 2010 prelim, classic Crossy playing it safe not trying to nail a kick inside 50. Cost us big-time imo nit taking the game on, made me meltdown at half time and called me dad saying we've blown it again etc as he didn't go. Sure enough the Aints ripped us to shreds in the 3rd term and it was game over.

Lol. Yeah we're chasing Dixon when we have 3 great mid sized forwards and just coughed up big time for a power forward.

Let's spend whatever we have left on another forward. Cmon mate. If you're going to spread rumours, make them believable. Also Gold Coast want more than a first. Port have already offered a pick higher than ours that was knocked back.
Gold Coast knocked back pick 10 on Dixon? A perennially injury-prone B grade key forward?

Not really, that's a flawed way of looking at it.
A minimum contract say is 100k. Everybody gets that.
It means that an average player gets 200k more than a minimum
300k more than the minimum is a 50% increase from a league average player relative to the minimum.

Sorry, but that's garbage. The minimums and maximums are irrelevant.

The mean contract will be in excess of $300k for 2016 and Suckling will ask for $40 to $90k more than the average. That is not unreasonable in my view. You may not like him... but that would be his market value to a team that wants his skill set.

Yep i am becoming very concerned. To be honest we should be a destination club now, it's obvious we are on the rise. So why are none of these ar5eholes nominating us? It seems Richmond are in a similar position except at least Yarran wants to go there.
Surely the opportunity to play and grow with the best young list in the league under a good coach would be attractive.
The only thing that i can see that is stopping people wanting to join us is that perhaps we are extremely close to our salary cap.
Players don't nominate a destination club that they haven't agreed to terms with. If we don't want them, they deal then nominate another club. Don't read too much into it.

Next year everyone will be playing the game style us, Eagles, Hawks etc are playing now. Players with penetrating kicks will be the counter to that game style. This is why the eagles were great this year, they have many penetrating kicks to get out of the press. This is what Suckling will bring to us. imo only Bont has a penetrating kick.

Regarding Lake, we could even rookie him for 1 year and only play him when we need to. He can spend the time teaching Toyd and our defenders. Plus i dont like getting all new rookies this year, need to stretch that out a bit. Gives us a definite rookie to pick up next year

No thanks to suckling.

Boyd, murphy, wood all in AA squad
Webb making everyone drool early in the year
JJ breaking out.
Biggs forging his way

Why tie up cap space to stock a position that isn't a problem?
He can play wing also, we haven't had a left footer who liked a long bomb goal since Eagleton

Those 2 aren't getting any younger either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so from the small amount of research i've done on Andrew Moore and Aaron Young, it seems like they make a the cloggy with a the listy
Agreed

Hence why Suckling on a wing makes sense to me instead even if the $$$ he wants may cost a bit more

Suckling>>>Grant>>>Young>>>Moore

Next year everyone will be playing the game style us, Eagles, Hawks etc are playing now. Players with penetrating kicks will be the counter to that game style. This is why the eagles were great this year, they have many penetrating kicks to get out of the press. This is what Suckling will bring to us. imo only Bont has a penetrating kick.

Regarding Lake, we could even rookie him for 1 year and only play him when we need to. He can spend the time teaching Toyd and our defenders. Plus i dont like getting all new rookies this year, need to stretch that out a bit. Gives us a definite rookie to pick up next year

Sorry just wanted to point out that Murphy has a ridiculously penetrating kick too. Love it when he pinpoints a target 50m away and opens up the ground

Matt Suckling's best footy is played on the wing/half forward position. Having seen him play for the Hawks live every game I can tell you now he's a liability down back. When made to defend against the good teams he can be exploited as he doesn't have a defensive game. However when he plays high-up the ground he can be damaging and set-up countless forward 50 entries. He did kick 15 goals, 15 behinds this season.

Apart from Danger, who else do we want? A CHB who wants to cruise, 2 FF who we don't need, outside mids who don't want to win their own ball, injury prone tall guys, lots of players who aren't better than who we have. Also, a guy who rejected us last year. Who (apart from Danger) do you want?

Note: I am actually happy we haven't been nominated yet.
Ok here goes
Carlisle Dangerfield Leuenberger Treloar Aish Yarran Henderson Freeman Martin Dixon Bennell Bell Lobbe Lycett Lennon Kennedy Smith Selwood Seedsman Hickey Casboult.
There are probably a few more but these are guys that i can think of off the top of my head that haven't shown any inclination to want come to us.
There are at least 10 players that would make our team better, they have been linked to multiple teams but not to us, I find that concerning.

Ok here goes
Carlisle Dangerfield Leuenberger Treloar Aish Yarran Henderson Freeman Martin Dixon Bennell Bell Lobbe Lycett Lennon Kennedy Smith Selwood Seedsman Hickey Casboult.
There are probably a few more but these are guys that i can think of off the top of my head that haven't shown any inclination to want come to us.
There are at least 10 players that would make our team better, they have been linked to multiple teams but not to us, I find that concerning.
Very Few worth considering.
Dangerfield, wants to be at Geelong. Always wanted to be at Geelong.
Lycett, probably not being traded but if he was, hope we were in his ear.
Treloar, would be good BUT not even close to being worth the cost.
Carlisle = not right cultural fit.
Henderson = rejected us last year.
Who else on your list is worth chasing? Yes, there are many who could get a game at our club but would the salary required and picks given up make us that much better?
Martin, Brisbane not letting him go but we are linked to him.
There are other players who would be worth chasing and I hope we are chasing them BUT these guys are mostly being let go for a reason.

Pretty sure there's a statistic that says every team that wins the premiership has a player that has won a flag previously (Don't ask me where I heard this). AFAIK we don't have a premiership player on our list, so in order to win one, we need one. Suckling come on down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back