AFL Draft To Become TV Event

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

About time.

If you are going to do something then do it properly. The draft has been on TV for years but in an unwatchable format. You either press red and watch names being read out at rapid pace or you watch the main channel which is a few long interviews.

The top picks should be drawn out. It's great entertainment. Have a few interviews. Hire a draft expert to analyse the selections. Play some short highlights after each pick.

The later rounds can still be pretty quick but the first two rounds are really suited to be exciting TV and there's no harm in slowing it down a little and making it a proper tv package.

it's good in theory. draft day is a big day in america and the televised draft is almost as iconic as some of the matches themselves. however the difference is that in america, the players coming up from college are already very well known to most of the public and there's mountains of footage and stats and it's genuinely an intriguing process as to who goes where. but here nobody knows most of these kids. can't see people getting into it the way they do in america

it's good in theory. draft day is a big day in america and the televised draft is almost as iconic as some of the matches themselves. however the difference is that in america, the players coming up from college are already very well known to most of the public and there's mountains of footage and stats and it's genuinely an intriguing process as to who goes where. but here nobody knows most of these kids. can't see people getting into it the way they do in america

Exactly - there's only so much "expert analysis" you can do on an 18 year old kid with no experience playing in a real competition before.

About time.

If you are going to do something then do it properly. The draft has been on TV for years but in an unwatchable format. You either press red and watch names being read out at rapid pace or you watch the main channel which is a few long interviews.

The top picks should be drawn out. It's great entertainment. Have a few interviews. Hire a draft expert to analyse the selections. Play some short highlights after each pick.

The later rounds can still be pretty quick but the first two rounds are really suited to be exciting TV and there's no harm in slowing it down a little and making it a proper tv package.

Fox Footy will probably have their draft experts pick out a few names they like from later parts of their phantom drafts to show off too.

I've never cared who my team drafts for these reasons. I've never heard of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never been one for an "event". If you want to televise it, just give me some analysis at the end of each round and then talk about it for half an hour at the end of the draft, maybe have a few interviews with some people inside the top 10. I might sit and watch that, but please get through the actual selections quickly.

I look forward to every club telling us how amazed they were every player that selected was available and how they rated them much higher.
You should try reading the Advertiser today.

I look forward to every club telling us how amazed they were every player that selected was available and how they rated them much higher.
Now that you mention it, I don't recall Carlton saying that last year after taking Boekhurst....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back