Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

How many people want to lose Hill and keep Cripps?

Hill >>>> Cripps

Yes I rate Hill above Cripps

Josh and Jamie had fairly equivalent years I reckon. Josh probably swung games in our favour/impacted at key moments a bit more than Jamie so i can see why you may put Hill ahead. Not sure I would have used quite so many greater than signs though :p Cripps still had a very good year and has development to come.

Josh and Jamie had fairly equivalent years I reckon. Josh probably swung games in our favour/impacted at key moments a bit more than Jamie so i can see why you may put Hill ahead. Not sure I would have used quite so many greater than signs though :p Cripps still had a very good year and has development to come.
I guess I'm downplaying Cripps defensive work a bit. He works harder than Hill on that side of things.

Masten is still best 22 when in form. Will get the first 5 games you'd imagine but if underperforming the pressure will be on more than ever to retain his spot.

All depends if he TTHD TM

With Jetta and Redden likely coming in, Duggan (hopefully) fit and Yeo more time in the middle, Hutchings, Rosa, Masten all of a sudden may find themselves outside the 22.

Masten had an okay year, linked up fairly well. But he isn't damaging. And when the heat is on he's usually not up to it - never has been.

If it wasn't clear it should be now - he will never be an A grade midfielder. Ok as depth and part of the rotations, but we ain't going to win a premiership with him Rosa and Hutch in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill > Cripps? :eek:

40 goals is great, but I reckon 15-20 of them came in last quarters. He loves a junk time special.

Hill did have a pretty good year and gives us a bit of spark with creating the odd goal out of nothing, but Cripps had a much more complete year.

With Jetta and Redden likely coming in, Duggan (hopefully) fit and Yeo more time in the middle, Hutchings, Rosa, Masten all of a sudden may find themselves outside the 22.

Masten had an okay year, linked up fairly well. But he isn't damaging. And when the heat is on he's usually not up to it - never has been.

If it wasn't clear it should be now - he will never be an A grade midfielder. Ok as depth and part of the rotations, but we ain't going to win a premiership with him Rosa and Hutch in the 22.

Bit harsh on Hutch, we could of won the GF recently if the rest of his mates actually turned up on GF day. He and Gaff were one of the few guys that actually turned up to play.

Bit harsh on Hutch, we could of won the GF recently if the rest of his mates actually turned up on GF day. He and Gaff were one of the few guys that actually turned up to play.
For mine he was poor on GF day. Got caught holding the ball twice IIRC and had no positive impact. I am not saying f be was our worst cause he wasn't - he had plenty of mates.
He showed ok form in patches but also showed plenty of times he lacks class - missed goals directly in front etc.
I think we need our midfield to be pushing him out of the 22 if we are to win a premiership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When does Masten ever do anything impressive when he doesn't have the ball?

Oh dat Port game

And that's it.

Hill's quarter splits:
1st - 7 17.5%
2nd - 8 20%
3rd - 13 32.5%
4th - 12 30%

So much junk time he scored 70% of his goals before the 4th quarter :rolleyes:

To be honest, a lot of our home games were junk time after quarter time.

For mine he was poor on GF day. Got caught holding the ball twice IIRC and had no positive impact. I am not saying f be was our worst cause he wasn't - he had plenty of mates.
He showed ok form in patches but also showed plenty of times he lacks class - missed goals directly in front etc.
I think we need our midfield to be pushing him out of the 22 if we are to win a premiership.

He got caught twice because he was looking upfield for a lead both times, but our so called superstars forwards were standing still, frozen to the spot, like deer in headlights, and the rest of his mates bar Gaff were just watching him go get the ball by himself. After he got caught the second time he switched to just kicking it straight away and hoping to hit a target like the rest of our team. He missed one goal against GC and then has kicked most of his shots since, including some clutch goals from the boundary line and a snap under pressure in the GF. How'd our actual forwards go on GF day? Kennedy couldn't kick a goal from 40 metres from a gettable angle, nor could Butler, Hurn, and others, so really, if you're talking about guys who need to be weeded out, shouldnt we be looking at those who wilt under pressure first? There's plenty of question marks over our whole squad after this years GF imo.

He got caught twice because he was looking upfield for a lead both times, but our so called superstars forwards were standing still, frozen to the spot, like deer in headlights, and the rest of his mates bar Gaff were just watching him go get the ball by himself. After he got caught the second time he switched to just kicking it straight away and hoping to hit a target like the rest of our team. He missed one goal against GC and then has kicked most of his shots since, including some clutch goals from the boundary line and a snap under pressure in the GF. How'd our actual forwards go on GF day? Kennedy couldn't kick a goal from 40 metres from a gettable angle, nor could Butler, Hurn, and others, so really, if you're talking about guys who need to be weeded out, shouldnt we be looking at those who wilt under pressure first? There's plenty of question marks over our whole squad after this years GF imo.
I am not just basing my opinion of a Hutch solely on one game, but he wasn't any good. Agree neither were our forwards but I don't think getting rid of players like Kennedy, Darling and then Hurn are the answer.

Agree our forwards didn't provide a target, but it's a lack of awareness more that anything. Happened to him a lot this year.

I just think if we are to become a premiership team we will need to phase Hutch out of our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back