Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not just basing my opinion of a Hutch solely on one game, but he wasn't any good. Agree neither were our forwards but I don't think getting rid of players like Kennedy, Darling and then Hurn are the answer.

Agree our forwards didn't provide a target, but it's a lack of awareness more that anything. Happened to him a lot this year.

I just think if we are to become a premiership team we will need to phase Hutch out of our best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess we'll have to disagree, as he was one of the few guys on GF day winning the hard ball and getting it out to our outside runners, he was also one of our best against the Hawks in the PF when the pressure was on. He had no pre-season and had to work his way back into form and the team, but once he got a few games in a row he was nailing goals and hitting targets, but he gets questioned every week while our flashier players show up once in a while and get a free pass every week. Masten is the embodiment of that. hopefully Duggan replaces Masto in our side next year, and id rather have Hutch in than Masto.

I agree his game against Hawks was good. Luckily they seemed to all show up that week.

Look I am not Mastos biggest fan and agree he is a fair weather player. But they are different players too. Not sure they are competing for the same spot.

I think both lack class though and would rather see neither in our 22 (if possible).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess we'll have to disagree, as he was one of the few guys on GF day winning the hard ball and getting it out to our outside runners, he was also one of our best against the Hawks in the PF when the pressure was on. He had no pre-season and had to work his way back into form and the team, but once he got a few games in a row he was nailing goals and hitting targets, but he gets questioned every week while our flashier players show up once in a while and get a free pass every week. Masten is the embodiment of that. hopefully Duggan replaces Masto in our side next year, and id rather have Hutch in than Masto.

Masten is so good he is BOG even when he does not play.

I think it's about high time you fessed up and just came clean.... are you related to Mark Hutchings?

I think it's about high time you fessed up and just came clean.... are you related to Mark Hutchings?

Nope, I just recognize what he does instead of getting carried away with our soft outside players with cool tatts and fancy hairstyles. He's not our most talented player, but he was one of the few that stood up on GF day, while the rest of our so called stars wilted under pressure.

Is chris Masten the most hated Eagles player by fans?

I dont hate masto but it seems like im a handful of people that like or dont mind him.

I dont hate masto but it seems like im a handful of people that like or dont mind him.

Don't hate him either just don't rate him. Its not like we lost too bad from the draft we took him in. Looking at the draft he came from only Dangerfield and Rioli would be considered bad misses. Dangerfield was always going back to Geelong though and Rioli didn't want to leave Melbourne.

I thinks its the whole hipster thing he has plus how every pre season he looks great then is just average during the season. We keep wanting him to take that next step (like Gaff and Shuey have) and he never does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one hates him, people are just putting the spotlight on those who have been in the squad for a number of years (see the recent Selwood and Priddis megathreads).

He never seems to do any of the tough work and seagulls most of his possessions.

Has no core strength which disables him to get the ball away whilst being tackled.

He needs to run in forward lines like Gaff does. Gaff always seems to receive the ball when he's moving forwards, making every one of his possessions a win (death by a thousand cuts etc).

Masten as an outside player I am ok with not winning too many hard balls but what annoys me is that he gets the ball while he's backpedalling or standing still to the side - his possession is generally good but he doesn't have that instantly aggressive attitude with his touches Gaff does, so he often gets tackled or does nothing with the ball.

He needs to run in forward lines like Gaff does. Gaff always seems to receive the ball when he's moving forwards, making every one of his possessions a win (death by a thousand cuts etc).

Masten as an outside player I am ok with not winning too many hard balls but what annoys me is that he gets the ball while he's backpedalling or standing still to the side - his possession is generally good but he doesn't have that instantly aggressive attitude with his touches Gaff does, so he often gets tackled or does nothing with the ball.

Same I have no problems with outside players being 'soft.' Having good ones is critical to a teams success.

But for me one thing they can't be is non damaging. If you get to run around without an opponent then you need to make them pay.

Masten is the worst of both worlds: not only does he not draw an opponent (which puts more pressure on Shuey/Gaff) but when he does have the ball he doesn't make the opposition pay.

Jetta for all his faults will always draw attention. While I expect more at worst he will free up Shuey and Gaff something Masten had never done.

Same I have no problems with outside players being 'soft.' Having good ones is critical to a teams success.

But for me one thing they can't be is non damaging. If you get to run around without an opponent then you need to make them pay.

Masten is the worst of both worlds: not only does he not draw an opponent (which puts more pressure on Shuey/Gaff) but when he does have the ball he doesn't make the opposition pay.

Jetta for all his faults will always draw attention. While I expect more at worst he will free up Shuey and Gaff something Masten had never done.
Yes! So much this. Masten needs to learn to impact to keep his spot.

Needs more subtle angles.

I wish we still had Houlihan. The chaos ball is in vogue

i dont know about you guys but IMO Masto best year ever was 2013 (stats aside). It was probably his most consistent season and he was one of more reliable mids that season.he just needs to have more seasons like that in the future.

i dont know about you guys but IMO Masto best year ever was 2013 (stats aside). It was probably his most consistent season and he was one of more reliable mids that season.he just needs to have more seasons like that in the future.

At least Selwood had injury concerns. Masten is older then Selwood and has no injury concerns and still is only average.

By what basis do you think he suddenly improved.

At least Selwood had injury concerns. Masten is older then Selwood and has no injury concerns and still is only average.

By what basis do you think he suddenly improved.
Selwoods when fit is better than masto and i dont deny that. Masto hasnt lived up to the loft standard of a pick 3 but i dont think he is as crap as fans generally do think of him. I guess he gets because he has underachieved for a pick 3. Tho 2013 was when i actually thought that masto has turned a new leaf and was somewhat going to achieve his draft potential. His 2014 was really poor and this year till about round 16-17 was pretty good, i think his end to the season un did all that.

Selwoods when fit is better than masto and i dont deny that. Masto hasnt lived up to the loft standard of a pick 3 but i dont think he is as crap as fans generally do think of him. I guess he gets because he has underachieved for a pick 3. Tho 2013 was when i actually thought that masto has turned a new leaf and was somewhat going to achieve his draft potential. His 2014 was really poor and this year till about round 16-17 was pretty good, i think his end to the season un did all that.

Again no one said he is a bad player. Just an average one who I feel is no longer best 22.

He is fighting for a spot against the likes of Duggan who is 19 yo and has played 12 games. For a 27 yo veteran that's a pretty damning statement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back