Not open for further replies.
FB: GARLAND - DUNN - JETTA
HB: MELKSHAN - T.MCDONALD - LUMUMBA
C: BRAYSHAW - N.JONES - SALEM
HF: PETRACCA - FROST - KENT
FF: PEDERSON - HOGAN - GARLETT
FOL: GAWN - VINCE - VINEY
INT: TYSON - KENNEDY - BUGG - ANB

Yeah, but he only missed a couple of games with the knee - maybe he should have sat out more? He did seem to be building to something in the Collingwood win and then Norf the week after before his hammy went. From memory he had a good preseason as well, so I'm just getting a bit worried that he might be a tease.

A lot of blokes seem to be writing off Trengove. Geez I hope he has a good 2016. I'd also still have Watts best 22 at this stage, with Kennedy pretty hard to fit in.

FB: GARLAND - DUNN - JETTA
HB: BUGG - T.MCDONALD - MELKSHAM
C: BRAYSHAW - N.JONES - SALEM
HF: TYSON - PEDERSON - KENT
FF: FROST - HOGAN - GARLETT
FOL: GAWN - VINCE - VINEY
INT: PETRACCA - WATTS - VANDENBERG - TRENGOVE

Melbourne Best 22:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Salem T. McDonald Bugg
C: Tyson Vince vandenBerg
HF: Petracca Pedersen Brayshaw
FF: Garlett Hogan Watts
RUC: Gawn N. Jones Viney
INT: Kent Harmes (R) Kennedy Melksham

EMERG: Lumumba Newton Grimes
Depth: Frost Michie Trengove Stretch Kennedy-Harris Neal-Bullen #3 #7
Developing: O. McDonald Hunt White (R) #46 #50 #6 (R)
Project Players: King (R) Smith (R)
Never again please: Dawes Spencer M. Jones Terlich

Yeah, but he only missed a couple of games with the knee - maybe he should have sat out more? He did seem to be building to something in the Collingwood win and then Norf the week after before his hammy went. From memory he had a good preseason as well, so I'm just getting a bit worried that he might be a tease.

A lot of blokes seem to be writing off Trengove. Geez I hope he has a good 2016. I'd also still have Watts best 22 at this stage, with Kennedy pretty hard to fit in.
I don't think you can call a player who polled 13 or so votes in his first full season a tease. Just had an off year. Probably got more attention in 2016, and he did play a few really good games (West Coast, North, Geelong, Collingwood win).

Tyson was focusing alot more on his defensive pressure this season, think he was actually really good in the area
He was alot slower in the contest this year which clearly you dont lose at age 22 or however old he is
Probably suffered a little having to share the load at the centre bounce a little more with Brayshaw and Vanders and hasnt quite developed his game elsewhere yet

You mean 4th year blues? :thumbsu:
Zero preseason before his first two years, played 3 games in 2013 and not a lot of NEAFL, 2014 was his breakout.
wat

His tackling was the most improved part of his game this year.
He doesn't really hurt with his tackles though, and it's more the general pressure acts that are missing.

Having another go at this after the trade period. There are probably a few ways to approach this - round 1 best 22 or end of season best 22. I have taken an approach of round 1 best 22 as I expect Petracca, Kennedy, Bugg and Melksham can have an immediate impact. Grimes unlucky not to be in this squad but I just couldn't find a place for him...which sucks because I love his effort.

Come end of the year I hope Trengove, Frost and a few others are pushing into the squad.

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Bugg McDonald Salem
C: Jones Vince vandenBerg
HF: Petracca Pedersen Brayshaw
FF: Garlett Hogan Kent
RUC: Gawn Tyson Viney
INT: Harmes Kennedy Melksham Watts

EMG: Grimes ANB Newton

Jetta Dunn Garland
Salem McDonald Bugg
Lumumba Jones Vince
Kent Pederson Petracca
Garlett Hogan Harmes
Gawn Viney Brayshaw
Melksham Kennedy Tyson Trengove/Stretch/Neal Bullen/Watts

bolded people who were missing most of the year / new arrivals.

Is anyone else thinking Petracca wont be in the seniors come round 1? He's coming off a serious knee injury. I just cant see it.

I also cant see all of Melksham, Bugg and Kennedy being in the best 22 come round 1. Melksham and Bugg most likely, but I would guess Kent and Kennedy are vying for the 1 spot, and i know which one Id rather have in the team.

I also find it hard to believe Trengove will be best 22 at the start of the year. Hes virtually missed 2 years of football. A massive task for him to simply play again let alone come straight into the senior team.

I can see Gawn, Pedo and Frost all in the team rotating through ruck/forward/bench.

My guess is we won't see any of our new draftees early in the season either. If all our players are injury free, it will give us a good chance to give them an extended run at Casey. Which is a good thing.

Dawes and Grimes arent in my best 22. Personally, i would rather a fit Pedo and Frost over him. I think we use Dawes only if injuries hit any of our tall forwards. And Melksham probably takes Grimes spot off the backline. Probably a more attacking player. Bugg also is more versatile and could play anywhere on the ground as a shut down player. He virtually replaces Cross which hopefully frees up Vince.

I would love to see Trengove, Petracca and one of our top 10 draftees break into the side early in the season, but i cant see them being best 22 come round 1.

Jetta Dunn Garland
Melksham McDonald Lumumba
Vince Jones Salem
Kent Frost Bugg
Garlett Hogan Brayshaw
Gawn Viney Tyson

IC: Pedo ANB Vandenberg Watts

Emg: Dawes Grimes Stretch

B: Jetta Frost Garland
HB: Salem McDonald Dunn
C: Watts Vince Tyson
HF: Kent Pederson Brayshaw
F: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn Jones Viney
INT: Vandenberg, Bugg, Melksham*, Lumumba*

*free pass given.. If i had my way: ANB, Stretch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree on Trenners. As much of a fairytale as it would be I can't see him making it back early in the year (maybe ever :().
Petracca I think could get a run for round 1. Hogan missed all of 2014 with serious back issues. That he played pretty much a full year afterwards (and largely uninhibited) suggests that if Petracca recovers well enough he'll be right to go. You can't keep him wrapped in cotton wool forever. If he's fit then he's a good chance to play.

I agree on Trenners. As much of a fairytale as it would be I can't see him making it back early in the year (maybe ever :().
Petracca I think could get a run for round 1. Hogan missed all of 2014 with serious back issues. That he played pretty much a full year afterwards (and largely uninhibited) suggests that if Petracca recovers well enough he'll be right to go. You can't keep him wrapped in cotton wool forever. If he's fit then he's a good chance to play.
I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him he couldn't play in the first round!

Can't see him at Half Forward, he does not work hard enough defensively. You need a half forward that'll kick a few goals but also lay 7-8 tackles and keep the ball alive. Watts couldn't tackle a stray kitten. When it is fed to him he is great as he is a nice kick, but I can't see him in our best side at all.
I thought he looked like he'd made real improvements in the early part of the defend half of the season, say rounds 12-17. Saw him chasing and harassing a lot more, looked more willing to cop a hit and he definitely laid some great tackles. I thought he was turning the corner.

Then he got dropped and I don't know the rest...

I thought he looked like he'd made real improvements in the early part of the defend half of the season, say rounds 12-17. Saw him chasing and harassing a lot more, looked more willing to cop a hit and he definitely laid some great tackles. I thought he was turning the corner.

Then he got dropped and I don't know the rest...
Yeah, I was blindsided by him getting dropped.

I'm in two minds, we should have a far harder edge next year so we're more capable of covering for Watts weaknesses and using his strength.

On the other hand, we're getting more good kicks into the side so we're less dependent on Watts for it.

Is anyone else thinking Petracca wont be in the seniors come round 1? He's coming off a serious knee injury. I just cant see it.

I also cant see all of Melksham, Bugg and Kennedy being in the best 22 come round 1. Melksham and Bugg most likely, but I would guess Kent and Kennedy are vying for the 1 spot, and i know which one Id rather have in the team.

I also find it hard to believe Trengove will be best 22 at the start of the year. Hes virtually missed 2 years of football. A massive task for him to simply play again let alone come straight into the senior team.

I can see Gawn, Pedo and Frost all in the team rotating through ruck/forward/bench.

My guess is we won't see any of our new draftees early in the season either. If all our players are injury free, it will give us a good chance to give them an extended run at Casey. Which is a good thing.

Dawes and Grimes arent in my best 22. Personally, i would rather a fit Pedo and Frost over him. I think we use Dawes only if injuries hit any of our tall forwards. And Melksham probably takes Grimes spot off the backline. Probably a more attacking player. Bugg also is more versatile and could play anywhere on the ground as a shut down player. He virtually replaces Cross which hopefully frees up Vince.

I would love to see Trengove, Petracca and one of our top 10 draftees break into the side early in the season, but i cant see them being best 22 come round 1.

Agree with you on Trengove but I'm optimistic that Petracca can slot straight in if he has a good pre season.

I think having Kennedy, Kent and Garlett all in our forward line laying tackles and putting on the pressure will be the best possible combination we can field at round 1. Have Harmes, Petracca and Brayshaw rotating through there too for good measure.

Petracca is coming off a semi-serious knee injury, not your standard fully blown ACL. He's already started a monster preseason. Will be as fit R1 as he will be any other point in the next 12 months, so the only thing that'll be preventing him from playing is form.

And it's the same with Trengove. He's essentially been rehabbing for a year and a half (with sporadic setbacks). He'll be as ready in round 1 as he'll ever be, it's not a matter of needing a few extra months to ease in. If he's not able to play VFL at least R1 that'll be a fairly good indication that he's not going to play ever again.

Petracca is coming off a semi-serious knee injury, not your standard fully blown ACL. He's already started a monster preseason. Will be as fit R1 as he will be any other point in the next 12 months, so the only thing that'll be preventing him from playing is form.

And it's the same with Trengove. He's essentially been rehabbing for a year and a half (with sporadic setbacks). He'll be as ready in round 1 as he'll ever be, it's not a matter of needing a few extra months to ease in. If he's not able to play VFL at least R1 that'll be a fairly good indication that he's not going to play ever again.
I reckon Trenners will play at least a month of VFL.

Any ACL is serious - Petracca may have had close to a 'best case' maybe, but that's just from reports.
You're right, but if he can do as intense of a preseason as he's been doing, I'm fairly confident that he'll be able to play in 6 months. Everyone always acts like R1 is some kind of magic point at which you're either fit or not able to play for another 426 weeks, but it's really not the case.

My bro was chatting with Petracca on Sat night out somewhere. Truck is absolutely ready to rumble. Wasn't even drinking. He's itching to get into preseason and to play. He's all footy.

Some other interesting comments: said that Goodwin has a posse of the youngsters behind him led by Jack Viney. Building a core group all putting in extra sessions. Also said Watts hasn't bought into the new culture which is disappointing to hear but fits with the potential trade rumours.

My bro was chatting with Petracca on Sat night out somewhere. Truck is absolutely ready to rumble. Wasn't even drinking. He's itching to get into preseason and to play. He's all footy.

Some other interesting comments: said that Goodwin has a posse of the youngsters behind him led by Jack Viney. Building a core group all putting in extra sessions. Also said Watts hasn't bought into the new culture which is disappointing to hear but fits with the potential trade rumours.

Petracca will be absolutely raring to go for Round 1. After his surgery, there was mention that he might be able to return to the field at the back end of the season. Although that was promptly knocked on the head from the coaching staff, and rightly so, it means he should be as fit as anyone come round 1. In fact, twitter tells me he's already knocking over running sessions with Viney and a few boys so I'm expecting big things early on.

Interesting comments regarding Watts ... any specifics? "buying in to culture" is a footy buzz term that could mean anything ... If the majority is on board tho, you'd expect the stragglers to follow suit or suffer for it.

Interesting comments regarding Watts ... any specifics? "buying in to culture" is a footy buzz term that could mean anything ... If the majority is on board tho, you'd expect the stragglers to follow suit or suffer for it.
Watts apparently hasn't been getting involved in extra weights and running sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back