Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not at the ground but the 1st day score was 3/441. the 2nd day score was 7/399. In one session today we have seen 6/47.
The bald statistics would suggest to me that 1. Batting is more difficult today and 2. South Australia have momentum.
The only possible reason I can see for not enforcing a 316-run follow-on when your bowlers are relatively fresh, having only bowled 24 overs today, would be that the pitch is crumbling and any fourth-day chase could be difficult.

I'm not at the ground but the 1st day score was 3/441. the 2nd day score was 7/399. In one session today we have seen 6/47.
The bald statistics would suggest to me that 1. Batting is more difficult today and 2. South Australia have momentum.
The only possible reason I can see for not enforcing a 316-run follow-on when your bowlers are relatively fresh, having only bowled 24 overs today, would be that the pitch is crumbling and any fourth-day chase could be difficult.
66 overs remaining today, plus 96 tomorrow, and virtually no rain in sight - why not let the bowlers put their feet up for 30-40 overs or so? I just hope the skipper doesn't lose his Head and bat for too long.....

66 overs remaining today, plus 96 tomorrow, and virtually no rain in sight - why not let the bowlers put their feet up for 30-40 overs or so? I just hope the skipper doesn't lose his Head and bat for too long.....
379 lead with 5 wickets remaining and 4 1/2 sessions to go? Looks like the pitch might have been a bit lively. Hopefully the lead is enough and they will not run it down like QLD did last year when we left them 400+ in 4 sessions, but I would be feeling a lot better if they were just 1 or 2 down and still 200 behind. Going in again was a mistake for not just the momentum and ground reasons. The SA batsmen would know they could give Tasmania a chance if they collapsed, the bowlers would be under no such pressure with a 316 lead to play with. Why give a sucker an even break? But at least you got your wish in the skipper not batting foe too long.

In the Women's domestic final, SA have set N$W 265 to win. If the latter are successful chasing it, then it'll be their 11th straight title. So c'mon girls, do it for the good of the game & restrict N$W to less than 264...

SA 7/127 at tea lead by 443. 13 wickets have fallen for 171 runs in two sessions today where 11/840 fell in the first two days. SA have to leave themselves enough time to bowl Tasmania out and although they scored 124 runs in that session I would be feeling much more confident of a win if they had got Tasmania to follow on and taken just 3 wickets. After a few superb efforts, mainly at test match cricket level, for the following on side to win it seems that captains are scared of taking the initiative. It's all very well to bat a second time when you have a 350 first innings lead half way through a 5-day test match. it means you can still collapse and have 2 days left and be 500 runs ahead. But there is more of a time factor in 4-day matches and all of a sudden you can find yourself with less than 4 sessions to bowl out a team. And no team will be a definite possibility to collapse the way Tasmania did this morning.

SA 7/127 at tea lead by 443. 13 wickets have fallen for 171 runs in two sessions today where 11/840 fell in the first two days. SA have to leave themselves enough time to bowl Tasmania out and although they scored 124 runs in that session I would be feeling much more confident of a win if they had got Tasmania to follow on and taken just 3 wickets. After a few superb efforts, mainly at test match cricket level, for the following on side to win it seems that captains are scared of taking the initiative. It's all very well to bat a second time when you have a 350 first innings lead half way through a 5-day test match. it means you can still collapse and have 2 days left and be 500 runs ahead. But there is more of a time factor in 4-day matches and all of a sudden you can find yourself with less than 4 sessions to bowl out a team. And no team will be a definite possibility to collapse the way Tasmania did this morning.
Still 40 overs to be bowled today. I wouldn't think we'd bat more than 5-10 more overs - get 'em in and hopefully have them 5 down by stumps.

Ain't cricket a great leveller. Victoria's Travis Dean burst onto the scene earlier this summer with unbeaten tons in each innings. But in the current game in Perth, he was out for 6 in the first innings, before falling first ball in the second.

Dunk another ton, his third this season. Must be under consideration for a Test on his home turf. Has to be a better option than either Sean or Mitch Marsh.

Callum Ferguson might also be an outside chance following a double ton. I tend to think the door has closed on Ferguson but if the selectors can recall Sean Marsh six times Ferguson might be worth another go. He could hardly do worse.

Hopefully the selectors will not think that Sean Marsh might do better against the West Indies who really are in disarray atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ouch the poor kid drops the Test match. Hope that doesn't damage his career too badly.....
Could have been the match but ended up being 12 runs. Voges the big wicket, he's had some good innings at Adelaide. And Nevill has been a good batting replacement for Haddin. Not up to the big ton level yet but good for a 50 if he's not disposed of early. Looked very scratchy early in the first innings and scored 1 off about 31 balls and missed a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back