News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Um...the future. 10 years from now, 20 years from now....40 years from now???

Let's remember this isn't just for "the Cats". The city also needs it, and the club and the city are closely tied, always have been. Those w@nk3rs who always post on the Addy "more of my rates going to a sport or club I don't care about...blah blah" don't even realise the club is putting in money for something they don't own. Small minded morons.
I hate to say it, but the "why aim so high" argument reminds me of Abbott and Turnbull saying: "who needs fibre?". Yeah well, they put an end to that, and future generations will look at us and ask "how could you let this happen?" History is already showing they'll both be remembered as the idiots who set Australia backwards, mark my words. (don't worry I think just as little of the other side of politics and everything in between)

Anyways, back on topic, something that is small cannot be made larger. (awaits Dad jokes) I'd rather some seats empty here and there for another decade, rather than in two decades we face that we have more members who want to attend game day that can't. The aim should ALWAYS be to keep growing.

I disagree with some points but I love the passion and the way you have posted it...well done :thumbsu:

Stadiums have a finite life so imo the current constructions aren't just about increasing capacity but more about improving the amenities of the stadium. A significant portion of the (fixed) cost have little to do with the final number of seats. There are side benefits for increasing the capacity of the stadium especially if it attracts other events like international football or cricket and A-League team. Having the stadium mostly idle in the summer can't be good for the profitability of the stakeholders not named the GFC.

Adding capacity might not actually increase match day attendance. After a certain point all we get is more empty seats.
Since the stadium opened after the stage 3 constructions (which increased capacity to 34k) we have played 22 games at KP the attendance has gone over 30k just twice. One of those games was the final against Freemantle (32k) and the other was the grand opening of the stadium (the first game in Geelong for the year at round 10) against Gold Coast. Both were one off occasions the next highest was 28.5k. Most of our games have between 24-28k people attending. While some of those empty seats have already been sold as a part of season membership packages or by people who just don't turn up for what ever reason I don't think there has been too many sellouts.

Stadiums have a finite life so imo the current constructions aren't just about increasing capacity but more about improving the amenities of the stadium. A significant portion of the (fixed) cost have little to do with the final number of seats. There are side benefits for increasing the capacity of the stadium especially if it attracts other events like international football or cricket and A-League team. Having the stadium mostly idle in the summer can't be good for the profitability of the stakeholders not named the GFC.

Adding capacity might not actually increase match day attendance. After a certain point all we get is more empty seats.
Since the stadium opened after the stage 3 constructions (which increased capacity to 34k) we have played 22 games at KP the attendance has gone over 30k just twice. One of those games was the final against Freemantle (32k) and the other was the grand opening of the stadium (the first game in Geelong for the year at round 10) against Gold Coast. Both were one off occasions the next highest was 28.5k. Most of our games have between 24-28k people attending. While some of those empty seats have already been sold as a part of season membership packages or by people who just don't turn up for what ever reason I don't think there has been too many sellouts.
Good post.

Seats are too expensive there compared to sitting on the couch to sell out.

The finite life is the one that should be emphasised.... I mean there has already been mentions of bulldozing Etihad and its what 15 yo?.
And to go to far out on a limb with a "Field of Dreams" approach is asking for trouble..when so much is begged and borrowed. Not to mention that no one really knows what the next 20 years holds for our culture. I come from an ere when if you wanted to see it live..you went. Not so for kids now. We might see crowds tapper off , due to cost and apathy and a diet of media spectatorship.

So I say 40, is plenty if we get to that... and to fill it regularly (which should be the aim) Geelong will have to change attendance cost , and leverage the ancillaries profit ...ie More profit on the burgers and beers..less on seats.

The finite life is the one that should be emphasised.... I mean there has already been mentions of bulldozing Etihad and its what 15 yo?.
And to go to far out on a limb with a "Field of Dreams" approach is asking for trouble..when so much is begged and borrowed. Not to mention that no one really knows what the next 20 years holds for our culture. I come from an ere when if you wanted to see it live..you went. Not so for kids now. We might see crowds tapper off , due to cost and apathy and a diet of media spectatorship.

So I say 40, is plenty if we get to that... and to fill it regularly (which should be the aim) Geelong will have to change attendance cost , and leverage the ancillaries profit ...ie More profit on the burgers and beers..less on seats.
There really isn't much of you that is Turbo, is there?:p

The bulldozing of Etihad isn't coming from the AFL, but from the local council that wants to use the land of course they'd be willing to bulldoze a half a billion dollar stadium to use the land since they didn't pay for it (and a similar stadium would probably cost 700+ mil today). AFIAK (I could be completely wrong) the stadium's stands aren't designed to be incrementally replaced like the MCG, SCG or Simonds . And given that the stadium gets turned over to the AFL in 2025 for a dollar I'd assume the life of Etihad would be at least 50-60 years (and possibly a lot more) with refurbishments every 20 or so years.

I have a feeling that the match day experience is a going to be loss leader for the AFL as they subsidies ticket and food prices to keep them affordable. It's a necessary expense to build a up fan base so they can get back there money in the media rights. A person might go to 1 or 2 games a year but watch 15 on TV. The AFL's long term plan is to build up their own media arm and sell the sport directly to consumers (by internet streaming) and cut out the middleman that is Foxtel the profits this would bring would make what they currently get look very small.

Good post.

Seats are too expensive there compared to sitting on the couch to sell out.

It's not just the cost, it's the convenience, for me it's an hour each way to and from the stadium (others would travel a lot further) it's something I'd do a few times a year but not every week.

It's not just the cost, it's the convenience, for me it's an hour each way to and from the stadium (others would travel a lot further) it's something I'd do a few times a year but not every week.
Yes, but the cost is relative and tied to the convenience.

While some of those empty seats have already been sold as a part of season membership packages or by people who just don't turn up for what ever reason I don't think there has been too many sellouts.

I wouldn't say some, I'd say most of the seats are pre-sold with membership packages. So most of the people not showing up for games have already paid for their seat anyway, which is weird. The question is, with an increased capacity can they pre-sell more seats? They used to have a waiting list for seats, but I don't know if that exists today. Probably does now some stands have been knocked down.

The biggest issue affecting attendance today is the fact that all games are televised live. So better stadiums and better entertainment at the stadium is a must to keep attracting bums on seats.

I wouldn't say some, I'd say most of the seats are pre-sold with membership packages. So most of the people not showing up for games have already paid for their seat anyway, which is weird. The question is, with an increased capacity can they pre-sell more seats? They used to have a waiting list for seats, but I don't know if that exists today. Probably does now some stands have been knocked down.

The biggest issue affecting attendance today is the fact that all games are televised live. So better stadiums and better entertainment at the stadium is a must to keep attracting bums on seats.
And affordable seating.

It's a balance of all those things, PLUS some real match-ups. Let's be honest the last decade we've created some rivalries that didn't previously exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somewhat related to our Stadium, I guess that planned World Cup 2022 redevelopment was dead before it started. Bribes to officials in the billions of dollars.
Needed to bring Sepp down to see the Xmas tree;)

GEELONG will be hosting more finals at Simonds Stadium if the Victorian Government gets its way.

Work on stage four of the state-of-the-art upgrade is underway, and due for completion about May 2017.

The government is investing $75 million to help increase the stadium's capacity to 36,000.

While the politicians have no control over the Cats finishing high enough on the ladder to host a home final, they could be preparing to lobby League headquarters when it comes to scheduling.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-...-should-host-finals-victorian-government-says

Worth it for the mainboard melts alone! :thumbsu:

For me it's around one hour thirty minutes to the game, and at least two hours back. It's why night games are just out for the moment. The cost is irrelevant too; if I had free tickets I still wouldn't go.

10lana said:

Budda230 does the trip every week from Warragul.
A true believer.

Last edited:
Given the following exchange, can some of our learned members explain to a simple fellow how the demolition of the Brownlow and Jennings stands cause such a big financial loss for the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back