Preview Round 12: Bulldogs vs Cats, Sat 3 June @ 7:25pm - Superhero Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m not mistaken, it’s been at least 17 years since we lost 4 games in a row, but unfortunately it feels like that streak might come to an end tomorrow. Was hoping to be significantly closer to our Best 22 this week, but with only Rohan coming in, we’re still so far from it.

It's 17 years since we've lost four in a row inside the same season (Rounds 3-6 of 2006).

If you count games lost across multiple season though we did also lose four in a row across the 2014-2015 seasons (2014 Qualifying Final, 2014 Semi Final, 2015 H&A Round 1, and 2015 H&A Round 2).

Doubtful. Why would the reigning premiership coach feel under pressure in a season that has been derailed by significant and extensive injuries? He looks pretty relaxed to me!

He used to be on a football panel with Damian Hardwick

Last edited:

It's 17 years since we've lost four in a row inside the same season (Rounds 3-6 of 2006).

If you count games lost across multiple season though we did also lose four in a row across the 2014-2015 seasons (2014 Qualifying Final, 2014 Semi Final, 2015 H&A Round 1, and 2015 H&A Round 2).

Those don't count

Like your thinking, kinda in line with my own actually.
I'm tipping us tomorrow, if this challenge doesn't bring out the best in us then our season really is pretty much cooked, so I'm expecting us to replicate last weeks fourth quarter for the entire game and win comfortably (well maybe that's a bit optimistic) but I still feel we'll get the job done, mainly because of the points you listed.

"Time for our premiership backline to get its mojo back" hopefully this will happen IF we line it up correctly, which means both De Koning and Henry playing there.
I've never contemplated the Cats playing an EF this far out from September before. But this shapes as just about the closest thing you'll get to that.

I've never contemplated the Cats playing an EF this far out from September before. But this shapes as just about the closest thing you'll get to that.
I would say if we lose this one the next match will be even more like an EF! And so on until we get to the last 7 matches (if we are stranded on 5 wins at round 17 our season is done).

Its a long time ( re occuring ) this about Geelong and its a long time that about Geelong

But it is a hell of along time ago that Corporate Bookies at the end of Round 11 - were offering $1.60 for Geelong to simply make the 8

I would say if we lose this one the next match will be even more like an EF! And so on until we get to the last 7 matches (if we are stranded on 5 wins at round 17 our season is done)

I'll give you props for your loyalty to the club.

You tip us every week and won't concede the season is done until we are 5 wins & 10 losses.

Always glass 3/4s full.

We will get smashed in the midfield, thats for sure.

It will be interesting to see if Scott persists with playing both Olli and Jack Henry in the FWD (thanksfully with Sav out he cant start SDK down there again), or rotating them through the same role. Jack is one of our better defenders, and if the ball is going down back a lot (which it will be) we are essentially taking his talent out of the game playing him forward. The game will be won for us off our ability to turn the ball over in defence and transition, not from anything we do in the midfield, we just dont have the talent to match them around the stoppages. If we get into a stoppage slog with them like we did vs the Giants then the only question will be how much the Dogs beat us by.

A few people are going to have egg on their face if we cant get the season going post bye and with players back, both on here and at the club. Momentum is everything in football, and we are struggling for it at the moment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will get smashed in the midfield, thats for sure.

It will be interesting to see if Scott persists with playing both Olli and Jack Henry in the FWD (thanksfully with Sva out he cant start SDK down there again), or rotating them through the same role. Jack is one of our better defenders, and if the ball is going down back a lot (which it will be) we are essentially taking his talent out of the game playing him forward. The game will be won for us off our ability to turn the ball over in defence and transition, not from anything we do in the midfield, we just dont have the talent to match them around the stoppages. If we get into a stoppage slog with them like we did vs the Giants then the only question will be how much the Dogs beat us by.

A few people are going to have egg on their face if we cant get the season going post bye and with players back, both on here and at the club. Momentum is everything in football, and we are struggling for it at the moment.
Might see either play forward much. Jack to backline for sure. Ollie I think may go to wing. club needs to mix things up. With Rohan forward ollie can provide that transition target. Think knevitt will go inside more

Will be watching vfl game to see any evidence of late change.

i am backing Simpson as sub but will be watching whether Bowes or Dempsey are absent. I think if either is absent from start then maybe a change becomes likely. If change unlikely one of them will play first half and then leave as back up for unforeseen change.

i understand someone from tomorrows 22 was absent from captains run today. Not sure why. Could be nothing

I would say if we lose this one the next match will be even more like an EF! And so on until we get to the last 7 matches (if we are stranded on 5 wins at round 17 our season is done).
Port in Adl on a Thursday night is our next game after our bye. No bigger challenge.

Interesting comment by Scott in his presser:

Some of our players are a little bit too passive in the way they go about it. Maybe they do need to play with the confidence that befits their status within the game. They're not rookies anymore. They're not feeling their way into the game. They're really hardened, high-level, A-grade AFL-level footballers. So we want them to show that

Scott states the exact same sentiments I made post game.
Re: the lack of leadership post Selwood and with Danger missing.
ie. The senior Player were all followers when leadership was needed.
It is clear Scott has no intention of surrendering premiership aspirations.
His call the their pride will have the team highly motivated.

I will need to revise my footy tips

Earlier discussion re: Cats prospects for 2023 has fragmented.
A sizable group suggesting: Play the kids and tank for draft picks
Thankfully, Scott has steered the middle path : Leadership and Youth.
Playing Knevitt and Oisin, recalling Rohan but omitting Parfitt.
Both Parfitt and Bews appear to have stalled in development.
Still whish Scott was braver to experiment more.

Would love to see Scott:_
Give Oisin a decent stint in the center.
Appears to have all the signs of a good inside mid.

Play Jack Henry, SDK and Stewart as occasional forwards.
Stewart's drive from backline was missing last week.
His competitiveness could have ignited the team up forward.

At least you said this consistently before Scott branded everyone who thinks otherwise a loser.
Sounded harsh but I think he may have meant losing mentality.
People out there in lounge room land picking their tips. :)

Stewart's drive from the backline kept us in it, imho

Stewart's drive from the backline kept us in it, imho
Stewart was less effective than usual.
However that's not the point of the comment.
Cats needed a spark to lift the team
Something needed to change.
Scott needed to try some different.
Everything needs to be on the table.

Loved Scott’s last comments surrounding our mid and some top tier players who lived in Joel and Dnagers shadow so to speak.. you are capable, take the next step and own it. Bit of confidence and swagger

What Cup are we playing for Saturday night

Id say - the Bill Goggin - Ken Newland - Bluey Hampshire - Peter Featherby - Richard Murrie Cup

Apologies to anyone of note that ive overlooked

I would say if we lose this one the next match will be even more like an EF!
Absolutely. Which is why I noted that we'd never played a game that felt like an EF this far out from September. After all, whatever happens, we'll be closer to September by the time our next prospective EF for 2023 rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back