Preview Round 24: Cats vs Dogs, Sat 26th August @ 7:25pm KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From round 1 it was clear the team was not fit... I think the injuries are the result of poor/short preparation - partly due to the grand final putting us late into preseason and also the age of our list in many positions. I don't want to use the grand final win excuse because its actually quite rare for a team who wins a grand final to go on and miss the 8 next year.. So for me thats not good enough.
Since 2000 the only teams to miss the 8 after a flag were Hawks in 09, Bulldogs in 16, Richmond in 21 and now us. Its not a great look.

Win or loss… not too flustered with the actual result.

What I want to see however and is way more important is the effort to win.. and the flashes from the youngsters we’ve all seen at the lower level.

A mark in traffic .. a spoil.. a contested possession…. A run down tackle..
make a moment AT AFL level.
Translate the skills to the highest level.
Not the whole game.. but show us you belong and can contribute against the best.

That’s what I wanna see

Go Catters

Since 2000 the only teams to miss the 8 after a flag were Hawks in 09, Bulldogs in 16, Richmond in 21 and now us. Its not a great look.
They were all in their prime though. Richmond maybe near the end but they had plenty of good sub 30 players. Martin was only 29! A bad injury run for the oldest team ever and it's frustrating but not baffling.

They were all in their prime though. Richmond maybe near the end but they had plenty of good sub 30 players. Martin was only 29! A bad injury run for the oldest team ever and it's frustrating but not baffling.
Frustrating season, but only a concern for Cats really if 24 finals is missed and new downward trend is created. This club can bounce back.

Rhys will have to go forward and give us something, which I have no faith in him being able to do, only other real tall is Neale and Jones will inevitably wear him like a glove.

How we actually score will be our biggest issue I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There aren't many left to play.

Out of the side there's what, Kroeger, Willis, Murdoch, Rico, Foster, Hardie? Of them you could maybe argue Hardie. Maybe.
Yep. And 2 of them are injured. One has played 2 vfl games. 2 of the other three it would be unfair on their bodies. So maybe we could have played Hardie

On SEN yesterday whoever said that Geelong having been up for so long have had shorter pre-seasons than most for 15 years. Then he said it is now catching up with the team. Interesting perspective.

Yes but older teams struggle more with the short pre season than younger teams and we have had a shocking injury list so theres valid reasons.

There aren't many left to play.

Out of the side there's what, Kroeger, Willis, Murdoch, Rico, Foster, Hardie? Of them you could maybe argue Hardie. Maybe.

None of them are ready except hardie. Pity clark is injured. I am surprised at no simpson though maybe they have decided he is done.

Rhys will have to go forward and give us something, which I have no faith in him being able to do, only other real tall is Neale and Jones will inevitably wear him like a glove.

How we actually score will be our biggest issue I reckon.
Opposite for me. Stanley when fit, is a weapon in our team. Does well against Dogs historically down at Geelong. He can also play as a ruck rover, assist in defence. Given we have zilch to lose today, I hope we play like we're enjoying it, with a real freedom. Winning may not not happen, but watching players showcase what they have, instead of fearing an opposition run-on is what I want to see.
Doggies have everything to lose today.

Last edited:
Opposite for me. Stanley when fit, is a weapon in our team. Does well against Dogs historically down at Geelong. He can also play as a ruck rover, assist in defence. Given we have zilch to ,lose today, I hope we play like we're enjoying it, with a real freedom. Winning may not not happen, but watching players showcase what they have, instead of fearing an opposition run-on is what I want to see.
Doggies have everything to lose today.
I remember being at KP in 2016 for a game where Stanley kicked 5 goals against the Doggies. We had their number that year, like most years, but sadly Sydney had ours and we had to face them in the prelim.

I remember being at KP in 2016 for a game where Stanley kicked 5 goals against the Doggies. We had their number that year, like most years, but sadly Sydney had ours and we had to face them in the prelim.
Same, great memories that day.
IIRC, when Dawson Simpson went down for us- and he had been playing really well- our fortunes plummeted. There were otgher issues, but that was a big one in every sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back