Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to watch Trainwreck (Amy Schumer) with the missus. I owed it to her after some of the films I make her sit thru!

It...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, thought she'd be drunken crazy the whole time but not at all. Hader held the thing together. Brie Larson looked cute.

6.5/10
Brie Larson is an amazing actor her proformance in Room was outstanding hopefully she wins an Oscar this year

Watched scouts guide to the zombie apocalypse and I loved it. It's the perfect movie to watch when you don't want to think too much and just relax. A bit like zombieland in terms of funny zombie comedy movie. 8/10.

Hateful Eight
I love Tarantino films but I left the cinema feeling unsatisfied after this. I was loving the first half of the film the characters and the story were very intriguing but when it all came out I lost interest. Certain Tarantino things I put up with because mostly I love the films, but this reminded me of Team America on a few occasions heads blowing up and projectile vomiting. I just think he could have been more subtle with the violence on this one.

Bridge of Spies - meh, just couldn't get interested in this and found my mind wandering on several occasions.
Was top shelf as far as acting and production quality went but I just didn't get drawn in enough to care. The missus was riveted to her seat though. - 5/10

I agree with your wife. Even though I watched this on a plane, I really enjoyed this movie. 8/10 from me.

The Hateful 8.

Started beautifully with the stagecoach in the snow. Terrific dialogue between Samuell l Jackson, Kurt Russell and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Continued well for a while once inside but became silly and a bit of a parody after a while.
Tarantino regulars Jackson and Roth play the token black with attitude and the articulate and stylish Limey.
The dialogue is witty for the most part but it dragged after a while. Samuel L Jackson became boring and QT needs to find somebody else to carry his films.
Walton Goggins was fantastic as a passionate former confederate soldier.
Tarantino is too talented and passionate to make a terrible movie, but I think this one lost its way after a really good first half. Similar to Django Unchained.
7.5/10

Holding the Man - 7/10

All my mates rave about it. It was good but not as good as they made it out to be. Love, Valour, Compassion was better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Danish Girl

Nope. Nope. Nope.

So I found the film itself fairly middling. Not especially deep. Not especially enthralling. Beyond Vikander, not especially strong performances. Not especially interesting direction. I found it fairly ordinary. But I reserved judgement. I wanted to read takes from LGBT people because it was entirely possible that they'd actually conveyed Lili and the whole experience quite well but I, through my obvious ignorance, didn't realise. Sadly that seems to not be the case. I'm seeing it slammed for, like I found it, being surface and no substance. It's lots of quivering lips and gasps and clothes. There was SO much more there but the writing and performing just fell miserably short.

Redmayne pretty much failed. When Lili was as a woman it was pretty much just a slightly more nervous/socially uncomfortable version of Lili as a man. There was no sense that Einar was disappearing, they just had to keep stating it. In fairness, I think the writing and direction meant he was fighting a losing battle. But it was still a failure. Outrageous he was nominated ahead of Idris Elba.

Vikander is the saving grace. You really feel her struggle and love for Lili. She squeezed everything out of the role and makes it her own. It's a shame the rest of the film falls short.

2/5

Last edited:
Spotlight. Really enjoyed it. Compelling bio-drama about the journalists who brought to life child abuse claims against tjhe Boston Church, They won a Purlitser in the process and helped shine a light into a very murky thing.

Mad Max, Fury Road - Haven't seen any of the previous films and thought it was random as feck but loved the action - 7/10
Wer - Love creature films, wasn't the best but with werewolf movies usually horrible I thought it wasn't too bad. 6/10

The Big Short

Really enjoyed it but thought it perhaps fell short of other GFC films; Margin Call and the superb documentary, Inside Job. Had Adam McKay's comedic touches and s**t jokes but also very focused and adept at explaining the more complex aspects of the GFC. Some genuinely funny lines in there as well and although providing info on some very similar issues as Inside Job, it had its own angle. 4/5.

Re. Tarantino:

Haven't seen grindhouse and about to see The Hateful Eight tomorrow. My rankings constantly change, normally favour the one I most recently viewed.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Kill Bill Vol. 2
4. Inglorious Basterds
5. Kill Bill Vol. 1
6. Jackie Brown
7. Django Unchained (and I ******* love django hard for me to make this list, keep changing my mind)

Aliens
Just about the perfect scifi. Great effects and design, brilliant story scary as hell. Sigourney Weaver as the main protagonist Ripley owned this film. Will have to see Alien again one day haven't seen it in ages.
Great movie, but do yourself a favour and watch the original asap. Scarier, more brooding, more visually stunning and just generally brilliant. Sigawwny is younger too and is weirdly attractive in it :p

Saw the Revenant.
Not a fan. It looked fantastic, but at 2.5 hours its a bit of a drag.
I can't think of any nice/light/good/happy moments in the film.
Thought the scene where Leo and his Indian friend catch snowflakes with their tongues was a pretty light moment in the context of the movie.

The cinematography, musical score and acting from all the cast made this worth the ticket price. Plus that opening scene was one of the most well made and intense action scenes I have ever seen.

Going to clean up at the Oscars 8/10

SNOW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back