Cloke chasing contract extension (poll added)

Does Cloke deserve a contract extension?

• Yes, just give it to him, we need to lock him in for beyond 2017

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, not at all, he is over-paid and under-performing

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Prefer to wait and review season 2016

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With the new game plan that Buckley is implementing, we need to ask, is Trav really a stay at home forward?
I say no. He is more value up the ground where he can win the hard ball in the air and boot it long to our new forward line.
I cannot judge him on goals kicked as I don't think he should spend enough time in the F50.

With the new game plan that Buckley is implementing, we need to ask, is Trav really a stay at home forward?
I say no. He is more value up the ground where he can win the hard ball in the air and boot it long to our new forward line.
I cannot judge him on goals kicked as I don't think he should spend enough time in the F50.
good quality post.
he does spend a lot of time up the ground, which is the reason he doesn't score more often. the point is, he lines up deep forward so his job is to kick goals not rack up possessions on the wing.
he either needs to play centre half forward and leave moore and white deep forward or stay rooted to the square and focus on beating his man 1 on 1.

good quality post.
he does spend a lot of time up the ground, which is the reason he doesn't score more often. the point is, he lines up deep forward so his job is to kick goals not rack up possessions on the wing.
he either needs to play centre half forward and leave moore and white deep forward or stay rooted to the square and focus on beating his man 1 on 1.

He should definitely be the former, in the latter he gets raped by the third man up and or the umpires.

I'd say they'd be happy to tack 2 years onto the contract to take him to the end of 2019, but they should have it weighted towards games played and various other performance rewards, not a huge base payment.
He'll obviously be on less than his current contract but his pay will depend upon getting out on the park and performing.
I don't think other clubs will be belting down the door to pay him huge dollars but there will be a bit of interest about if he stays sound.

That seems about right. He apparently in great shape having lost weight and running really well which suggests that he's over the knee tendonitis.
The better he starts the year, the more likely he is to get a two-year extension.

Honestly who does Cloke think he is?

He already has 2 YEARS to run on his current lucrative contract, one that is yet to deliver value for money.

He was ordinary last season with most of his goals coming against weak opposition in a handful of games.

A repeat of that and the club might just be better off looking to explore beneficial trade options at the end of 2016 rather than offer any extensions.

Can't see a reason for us to offer anything to Cloke as the end might come quicker than expected if poor form or injury strike in 2016.

Cloke's delivery into the forward line is shithouse though. All he can do is wheel around on his left boot and bang it in long without looking, never spots up a target.

Sometimes it works out well if an Elliot gets out the back but eventually the opposition wake up to it and realize he's a 1 trick pony

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC he had a cracker of a year when his contract was up for negotiation, and then went downhill after he was re-signed?

Don't see any motivation for us to offer him a contract two years out.
Think he was also good in 2013, the year after, but 2014 / 15 significantly below 2011-2013 output.

Cloke's delivery into the forward line is shithouse though. All he can do is wheel around on his left boot and bang it in long without looking, never spots up a target.

Sometimes it works out well if an Elliot gets out the back but eventually the opposition wake up to it and realize he's a 1 trick pony
It's never as simple as it looks, but he always seems to lean far back when kicking, skying the ball. Would probably work well punting in the NFL post-AFL where the air time is important.

Just interested what we could get in a trade for him?
We could list Clokey on "swap4beer.com.au". I'm sure we'd get a couple of cartons of VB for him.

Sit. Needs to put his foot to the floor in the next two seasons. Injury possibilities, motivation, locking the young players away. More priorities before us than this.

He had the club over the barrel last time when he was in his peak. The shoe is on the other foot now. If Cloke pulls out some great stuff then you pay him what he's worth (factoring in that we would have another 112k per annum from the vets allowance).

From The Age

No thanks. Fool me once.
Extend?
Yes please.
Big monster Types up forward are hard to find.
He plays a role no body yet
Comes lose to playing.
Extend, do it, move on. The benefits far outweigh the risks

This sounds so much likes he wants to cash in again from his reputation from yesteryear. Let him perform in line with the expectations.
I would rather give White another contract.
I'd take an extended travis with little travis extended over white.
White just lacks footy brain power.
But do understand your point

I'd take an extended travis with little travis extended over white.
White just lacks footy brain power.
But do understand your point
I think we have seen quite enough of extended Travis ;)

Back