Cloke chasing contract extension (poll added)

Does Cloke deserve a contract extension?

• Yes, just give it to him, we need to lock him in for beyond 2017

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, not at all, he is over-paid and under-performing

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Prefer to wait and review season 2016

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you guys would be better off without him in the long run.
I don't think we are ready yet to be completely without him but we should become less dependent on him over time. All depends on the price we have to pay.

I don't think we are ready yet to be completely without him but we should become less dependent on him over time. All depends on the price we have to pay.

2 things:

If you lose him/ trade him = Big salary cap relief.
Pick up a young KPF in the draft & another good player for less than half the $$$.....We lost Buddy, but got McEvoy/Frawley in return for way less & were able to hang onto most of our squad because of it.

2 things:

Pick up a young KPF in the draft & another good player for less than half the $$$.....We lost Buddy, but got McEvoy/Frawley in return for way less & were able to hang onto most of our squad because of it.

But you had Roughead, Gunston, Breust. That took away the pain.

2 things:
Last year of his contract (2017) is already performance based. Plus he would be getting vet status too. Salary cap relief is not that of a hot item by then. If we don't allow ourselves to be dictated by his demands but I doubt that will happen.

We still need Cloke. He is still a monster forward and a great contested mark, even if his other stats have flattened out. As the former, he takes the opposition's biggest defender, which is critical to our structures. The problems we have had in the forward line are not all to do with Cloke. Saying that, going public about opening up contract negotiations this far out is disappointing. He doesn't have the leverage he had in 2012, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for his father/management. They are not known for their sensitivity.

We are ****ed without Cloke. To argue anything otherwise is delusional.

The only deluded one is you. Its been proven time and time again how much more functional we are without Cloke. Even during Mick's reign. Once this current contract is up. Ciao.

We still need Cloke. He is still a monster forward and a great contested mark, even if his other stats have flattened out. As the former, he takes the opposition's biggest defender, which is critical to our structures. The problems we have had in the forward line are not all to do with Cloke. Saying that, going public about opening up contract negotiations this far out is disappointing. He doesn't have the leverage he had in 2012, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for his father/management. They are not known for their sensitivity.
If we replace Cloke with Cox, wouldn't he get the tallest defender? I am not going to a like for like comparison on skills but so far that is the main argument for Cloke. He draws fire . And thus the question is can we do without a tall forward. Probably not. We can't do without Cloke unless there is a suitable replacement. What about Cox?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we replace Cloke with Cox, wouldn't he get the tallest defender? I am not going to a like for like comparison on skills but so far that is the main argument for Cloke. He draws fire . And thus the question is can we do without a tall forward. Probably not. We can't do without Cloke unless there is a suitable replacement. What about Cox?
Cox is tall but he would be knocked under or off the flight of the ball too easily given his light frame.

Cloke is starting to become a bit like Chris Dawes became ...

... A player who we've seen what they're capable of, but fails to deliver, and what we are left with is excuses ...

He came 32nd place in the 2016 Coleman. The only reason his 34 goal 26 behind conversion doesn't look so bad is because they don't record OOF's.

Of course he is a great footy player. He is handy structurally. And if money were no object then of course we'd have him on the list.

But he doesn't come cheap. He's probably the highest paid player at our club, and if he's not then he'd be up there. Could that salary cap be spent in a way that increases our chances winning footy games? And finals? And Grand Finals? No doubt.

Time to start thinking about making some tough decisions. The club is capable of that - see Dawes, see Daisy, see Didak, see Jolly, see Ball.

Last edited:
The only deluded one is you. Its been proven time and time again how much more functional we are without Cloke. Even during Mick's reign. Once this current contract is up. Ciao.

Oh yeah absolutely have Darcy and Jesse White carry the forward line. Anyone that thinks we're better without him are morons.

Wat

PC, I'll get back to you on this. Needs a considered response.

Oh yeah absolutely have Darcy and Jesse White carry the forward line. Anyone that thinks we're better without him are morons.
No need for constructive arguments, straight into the delusional & morons.
Quality post, end of thread right there.

AP, please ease up on calling people morons. It's a discussion, with differing opinions.

PC, I'll get back to you on this. Needs a considered response.
NP. The argument of Cox being light framed sort of answered that. That negates his height which would be the only reason for him to get the tallest.
The times of big monster forwards is coming to an end is the general consensus . Yet here we are trying to hold on to one that is over his peak, build our structures around him and I wonder the costs are worth it

That's funny, we seemed ot dispatch Geelong just fine without him last year.

Then why do we win more games with him in the side?

Do we? Our record without him is actually pretty damned good. Especially given that we've been an injury ravaged side in the last 4 seasons.

You heard me. People need to let go. Our forward line becomes unpredictable without Cloke. It FORCES our midfield to look for options, it FORCES other players to step up.

Back