News Buckley, Pies agree to contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rate this.

No one benefits from the constant diatribe in the media, and it gives him the requisite amount of time to reap what he's sown (for better or worse!).

If we don't see serious improvement by the end of 2017 then definitely should evaluate the options.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscri...b45ae239619a9f8d9dd6615e69d&memtype=anonymous

I can't read the article but it's a 1 year extension, not 2.

Will see him through to the end of 2017 I guess.
I like this. Do I think Buckley is the right man? Not necessarily. Do I think it's good to get out all media speculation derailing the season but we us not really being committed? 1 year deal won't protect him from the sack
T1Z0R.gif borat_34947730_zps81dad7db.jpg

I know I'll be hammered for this, but it's a poor decision.

Needed to see how we performed in 2016 before giving him more years on a sliver platter.

A very poor year in 2016 and he doesn't even deserve an extension

I agree with you in principle but as Ketchup said we can just sack him if need be so it's not a big deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NATHAN Buckley and Collingwood have agreed to a contract extension and an announcement is imminent.

The twist is the deal could be for an extra year and not the two years which has been widely tipped.

It would mean Buckley has the 2016 and 2017 seasons to cement himself as the long-term coach at Collingwood.

It’s understood Buckley proposed the 12-month extension, which could be ratified at a board meeting ahead of next Thursday’s annual general meeting.

Both Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and Buckley’s manager Craig Kelly have been holidaying in America and both attended Monday’s Super Bowl in California. McGuire is due back in Melbourne later this week.

Kelly is also scheduled to return to present Buckley with the final contract agreement.

The decision to extend Buckley’s tenure until the end of 2017 is in line with the club’s list management strategy.

The pressure on Buckley and Collingwood would be immense if the Pies did not play finals in the 2016 or 2017 seasons.

Under Buckley, Collingwood has missed consecutive finals series and has won only one of four finals played, which has prompted deep discussion about Buckley’s future.

The Pies, however, believe in the list management plan and development over the past two years and were understood to be comfortable to offer Buckley another two years on top of 2016.

Buckley, 43 and entering his fifth season as senior coach, is the final domino to fall for coaches coming out of contract at the end of the year.

Hawthorn’s Alastair Clarkson, Richmond’s Damien Hardwick and Brisbane’s Justin Leppitsch are all set for new deals and it’s believed all four will be announced in the coming weeks.

Reports at the weekend said Clarkson’s extension could be revealed as early as this week.

Buckley told the Herald Sun a new contract was not a pressing issue: “It is not front of mind for me,” he said in November last year.

“I am contracted for 2016 (and) my absolute focus is to do my role as best as I possibly can in the short term.

“We are really clear on the direction we are going and the things we want to shine a light on and improve on, I am really clear on that.

“I am a part of it; I am not all of it. But I love the footy club and I just hope that I can continue to give as much benefit in my role as I possibly can, and that I can do it for as long as I can, because I love it.”

Can't complain, I have a lot of faith in Bucks, and a season as important as this does not need distractions of this magnitude, good decision.

The right decision.

It removes the risk of media speculation of Buckley's tenure derailing our season. Worst case scenario is we just terminate early and wear the costs (which we can afford), although it wouldn't surprise me if Buckley had have agreed to less stringent payout terms just to get the deal signed so that the season wouldn't be at risk.

Smart move by the club. Money we got, but you only get one chance at each season...

I'm happy with this, 1 year extension is long enough to keep the wolves at bay for this year but not too long so as to compromise the club's future should performance not be as expected. Also, if the article is correct in stating this was Bucks' suggestion for a 1 year not 2 extension then this shows the caliber of the man - quite prepared to put the club's interests ahead of his own. Something not often seen these days, that's for sure.

Good decision, while we seen the beginnings last year this is the first year I've felt the side is truly Buckley's. Now he has his side and developed his coaching 2 years (2016, 2017) is an appropriate length to better judge where we're heading.

Not 100% for the extension but the Bucks quote below sums up his character IMO

“I am a part of it; I am not all of it. But I love the footy club and I just hope that I can continue to give as much benefit in my role as I possibly can, and that I can do it for as long as I can, because I love it.”

Not 100% for the extension but the Bucks quote below sums up his character IMO

There's never been an issue with Bucks' character. I LOVE NAthan Buckley the man and I'd wager most Collingwood (and even a lot of non-Collingwood) supporters do.

It's his ability as a coach that is polarising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back