News Buckley, Pies agree to contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's never been an issue with Bucks' character. I LOVE NAthan Buckley the man and I'd wager most Collingwood (and even a lot of non-Collingwood) supporters do.

It's his ability as a coach that is polarising.

Agreed in regards to his coaching.......They are his boys now so he has no more excuses.

If it goes pear shaped in 2016 we pay him out in 2017. I don't have a problem with the Club doing that.

I am sure we came to a settlement with our previous Coach who had 3 more years to run on his contract.
That one I had a problem with.

I know I'll be hammered for this, but it's a poor decision.

Needed to see how we performed in 2016 before giving him more years on a sliver platter.

A very poor year in 2016 and he doesn't even deserve an extension

Why? Coaches get the sack all the time before their contract expires.

The club is still in the position to give him the flick at any time...

Excellent decision by the club.

Bucks hasn't earnt a long term deal and the contract length still keeps him in the gun.

As a fan, i would have no problem if the club sacks him and pays him out the final year of his contract, should the team miss finals again.

the right decision buy the club and bucks 1 year extra, sees to the point that we should be playing finals,
if not arrangement will be made to have a new coach. and if we are in the finals then he will be offered a new deal

I don't think we would eat his contract and pay him out. We're not so rich we can afford to be so wasteful.

The Beach Hotel says hi Quicky!

How much is Buckley on per year?

Irrelevant to me Quicky......my point is our Club has wasted money on worse things like the Beach Hotel and settling Malthouse's final three years.

Like I said earlier I have no problem that part of membership money goes to Bucks if a pay out is necessary.

The truth is I would prefer it to go to bonuses because he holds up the Premiership Cup in the future.

It would be great if someone could copy and paste the article. :)
We should make this a stickie...
Copy link to clipboard.
Open Google
Paste link in search box
Search
It comes back with the article as search result.
Right mouse click, open in new window/tab. If you want to read it a 2nd time, clear cookies

Oh and on topic. Good decision. Can understand the doubters but media speculation can't be a good thing either . 1 yr is enough to keep media vultures at bay. Certainly didn't deserve more time.

Irrelevant to me Quicky......my point is our Club has wasted money on worse things like the Beach Hotel and settling Malthouse's final three years.

Like I said earlier I have no problem that part of membership money goes to Bucks if a pay out is necessary.

The truth is I would prefer it to go to bonuses because he holds up the Premiership Cup in the future.
Malthouse broke the contract, not the club. There was nothing to settle. You don't get a pay out for walking out on a contract.

Malthouse broke the contract, not the club. There was nothing to settle. You don't get a pay out for walking out on a contract.

Do you think he sat out (media) for a year out of the kindness of his heart?
IMO the parties would have come to a $ agreement to stop him from coaching in 2012.

Do you think he sat out (media) for a year out of the kindness of his heart?
IMO the parties would have come to a $ agreement to stop him from coaching in 2012.
I believe there was already a clause in his contract stipulating that he couldn't coach another club for 12 months if he broke his agreement with Collingwood. Happy to be corrected though if you have evidence otherwise.

Hopefully we make finals and it becomes a non-issue. I'd wager if we do make finals, they'll extend the deal further.

This 1 year, as everyone else is saying, is most likely a "soft" contract, which is effectively the Club saying to Bucks "We'll get the media off your back, but if we don't make the 8, ciao".

I believe there was already a clause in his contract stipulating that he couldn't coach another club for 12 months if he broke his agreement with Collingwood. Happy to be corrected though if you have evidence otherwise.

No evidence Apex36 just my read on the situation. Happy to be corrected also :thumbsu:

No evidence Apex36 just my read on the situation. Happy to be corrected also :thumbsu:
I just assumed it was a clause as its not uncommon to prevent a rival company poaching an employee under contract by putting something like that in there. I know that Reece Plumbing have a clause in their showroom consultant contract that prevents any of their consultants going to work for a direct competitor for 6 months after they leave the company.

One year is all that is appropriate and would be a clear sign from the club that it expects vast improvement this season.

Hopefully it plays out this way.

Hard to imagine Bucks surviving if this year goes the same way of the previous two.

Good decision by the club, gives bucks the opportunity to show his worth with the list he has created, no excuses anymore.
There will be plenty on here that will not like the decision but Buckley needs to be given first crack at this young list and 2 years is the perfect time frame to produce results

Perfect decision , everyone knows where they stand , no distractions.I also have great faith in Buckley and believe he will be our long term coach.The man has character,footy nous and a great work ethic.He has been instrumental in the securing of our new signings just ask TRELOAR,AISH and HOWE.

Perfect decision , everyone knows where they stand , no distractions.I also have great faith in Buckley and believe he will be our long term coach.The man has character,footy nous and a great work ethic.He has been instrumental in the securing of our new signings just ask TRELOAR,AISH and HOWE.
If you look at the two most successful coaches in recent times, Thompson and Clarkson, both were on the nose with elements of their club just before they went on to win multiple premierships. It takes time to build a list in modern football and its a matter of when that window opens is your club a top 8 top 4 or premiership contender and for how long. The fact remains for me that the club knows how to be competitive against top sides but hasn't found a way to beat them consistently. Given the progress we saw in numerous close games in the second half of last year, I think we are building a great list that won't just play finals but will have the commitment, talent and belief to get to the big dance and hopefully succeed. My main worry? Do we have the game plan?

If you look at the two most successful coaches in recent times, Thompson and Clarkson, both were on the nose with elements of their club just before they went on to win multiple premierships. It takes time to build a list in modern football and its a matter of when that window opens is your club a top 8 top 4 or premiership contender and for how long. The fact remains for me that the club knows how to be competitive against top sides but hasn't found a way to beat them consistently. Given the progress we saw in numerous close games in the second half of last year, I think we are building a great list that won't just play finals but will have the commitment, talent and belief to get to the big dance and hopefully succeed. My main worry? Do we have the game plan?

It always seem to crop up. Last season the team showed the game plan stands up as long as the players execute. We lost to 3 teams in 3 weeks (Freo, Port and Hawks) by less than 30 points combined and had the lead in every game.

If it wasn't for some rookie errors we had those games in the bag and would have played finals.

The game plan works.

When spring comes everyone is looking over their shoulder for the Magpies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back