Live Event 2016 National Draft - November 25th, 6:30pm AEDT, Fox Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty impressive highlights package... I can't believe he wasn't drafted on Friday. His second efforts are fantastic and the way he hits the ground running after a mark or ruck contest then tackles like a mad man is exceptional. Can obviously take a good mark and is very quick and agile for a player his size. Really, really like this pick.

A big welcome to the kennel Nathan!

I presume we really wanted Fergus Greene because we otherwise would have been able to draft Lipinski at 49 and picked up Young with our final pick. Both would have most likely still been available at those selections which would have freed up pick 28 to use on someone else like Bolton, Rotham or Maibaum.

The only reason we wouldn't use this as our draft strategy would be if we thought someone else might take Lipinski before pick 49 (possible but probably unlikely) or because we really wanted Fergus Greene as well as the other two and therefore we needed to take the others much earlier than necessary just because that's where our picks were placed.

It seems odd to me to actively work through the trade period to move up the order to get a pick in the early second round only to use it on a player that probably would have been there in the third round anyway. I think from memory we moved up in the second round but dropped back in subsequent rounds to get what was originally pick 26 but became pick 28.

In saying this I'm not having a go at Lipinski, in fact I think he sounds like a really good developing player and given Dal's record I'm sure he will turn out to be very good. It's just that I think we could have picked both him and Young anyway and instead of getting Fergus Greene, who really could have been rookied today most likely, we could have gotten Bolton, Rotham or Maibaum or someone else of that calibre by better utilising the picks at our disposal.

Not sure if this has already been commented on because I haven't read the whole draft thread so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else has already said.

How can you be sure that Lipinski would of been there at 49? Because the mock drafts said so? Nobody really knows. The mock drafts are only accurate for the first few picks because they rely on inside info, but after the first round every club hopes their targets slides so the leaked info dries up and more smoke screens are set, so the mock drafts are all over the shop from the 2nd round onward.

For all we know Lipinski might have gone 2 picks after ours to Collingwood. As they have a track record with ex basketballer types and were also very keen on Bont. Lipinski sounds like he's very much in the Pendlebry mould too.

I presume we really wanted Fergus Greene because we otherwise would have been able to draft Lipinski at 49 and picked up Young with our final pick. Both would have most likely still been available at those selections which would have freed up pick 28 to use on someone else like Bolton, Rotham or Maibaum.

The only reason we wouldn't use this as our draft strategy would be if we thought someone else might take Lipinski before pick 49 (possible but probably unlikely) or because we really wanted Fergus Greene as well as the other two and therefore we needed to take the others much earlier than necessary just because that's where our picks were placed.

It seems odd to me to actively work through the trade period to move up the order to get a pick in the early second round only to use it on a player that probably would have been there in the third round anyway. I think from memory we moved up in the second round but dropped back in subsequent rounds to get what was originally pick 26 but became pick 28.

In saying this I'm not having a go at Lipinski, in fact I think he sounds like a really good developing player and given Dal's record I'm sure he will turn out to be very good. It's just that I think we could have picked both him and Young anyway and instead of getting Fergus Greene, who really could have been rookied today most likely, we could have gotten Bolton, Rotham or Maibaum or someone else of that calibre by better utilising the picks at our disposal.

Not sure if this has already been commented on because I haven't read the whole draft thread so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else has already said.
I'd suggest we actively moved up the order to try and take Cox/Long but with those plus others gone early, it through our plans out the window.

Callum Twoomey seemed to think there was a lot of talk coming of Adelaide taking Lipinski at pick 40 or whatever they had and Young reportedly had 6 clubs meet with him. You just don't know what's going to happen. The mock drafts are usually pretty wrong if you're going off that. Heaps of mock drafters had Scharenberg, Morrish, Duman etc. getting drafted and some those names going high in the draft yet they went undrafted.

I'm not sure how you can say with any confidence that Lipinski would still be on the board at 49 - who knows what would have happened in the ensuing 20 picks after our second? It's a bit of a crapshoot as to whether players you want are available ten or twenty picks after you would consider taking them, so why take the chance?

EDIT: sorry - it appears I'm just repeating the thoughts of the posts directly above mine. Not trying to gang up on you ExRoyboy. :$

I'd suggest we actively moved up the order to try and take Cox/Long but with those plus others gone early, it through our plans out the window.

Weren't we apparently very keen on Luke Ryan with our first picks as well....? For all we know Lipinski could of been our target all along and Cox,Long,Ryan were just smoke screens thrown out to confuse the wannabe Dalrymples. :D

Weren't we apparently very keen on Luke Ryan with our first picks as well....? For all we know Lipinski could of been our target all along and Cox,Long,Ryan were just smoke screens thrown out to confuse the wannabe Dalrymples. :D
Who bloody knows. I'm not paid to do that stuff, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride and benefits of Dal and co's hard work.

Who bloody knows. I'm not paid to do that stuff, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride and benefits of Dal and co's hard work.

Even the people paid to do that stuff don't really know. That's why their all too scared to release their mock drafts until a day before the draft, after the first round has been leaked.

It's too late now to worry about, but i wonder if we had taken
Cedric Cox first would Tim English have slid to our second pick.
I found the three in a row picks of Cedric Cox, Ben Long and
Brandon Parfitt very strange indeed. The rookie draft needs to
be renamed the ruckman draft as nine were selected. Anyhow
it matters not onwards and upwards.

How can you be sure that Lipinski would of been there at 49? Because the mock drafts said so? Nobody really knows. The mock drafts are only accurate for the first few picks because they rely on inside info, but after the first round every club hopes their targets slides so the leaked info dries up and more smoke screens are set, so the mock drafts are all over the shop from the 2nd round onward.

For all we know Lipinski might have gone 2 picks after ours to Collingwood. As they have a track record with ex basketballer types and were also very keen on Bont. Lipinski sounds like he's very much in the Pendlebry mould too.
You are probably right that we would have had mail that one of the other clubs was going to choose Lipinski before our next pick and he was who we wanted based on the info we had so we went with him early. However I also would agree with the poster who said we probably moved up the order to try and get Cedric Cox but just missed out so under that scenario we would most likely have rolled the dice on Lipinski, but once Cox was taken it meant we just went with who we considered next best and didn't risk that he would not be there later.

In posting what I did I certainly wasn't trying to pot the Lipinski pick, I really like what he brings as a player, I was just trying to understand the strategy of moving up in the draft to take a player most pundits rated much lower. But who am I to question our recruiting team, they certainly have the runs on the board and I hope all our picks work out fantastic.

English way too good to risk passing up at pick 19
Agreed.... I was hoping we would get English given it's been an area of need for a while now and he seems to really suit our style of play. We have the time to develop him and and it's great that we managed to get the best ruck prospect in the whole draft. Don't think he would have lasted much longer. Too skilled for a ruck to pass up.

English way too good to risk passing up at pick 19
English was a 184 cm midfielder less than two years ago who had a
massive growth spurt 21 cm since then. I was pissing myself with
laughter listening to the experts say he is the best and stand out
ruck in the draft when he has more midfield attributes than those
of a ruck. He has great potential or scope for improvement, but
the fact he was available at pick 19 says it all for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English was a 184 cm midfielder less than two years ago who had a
massive growth spurt 21 cm since then. I was pissing myself with
laughter listening to the experts say he is the best and stand out
ruck in the draft when he has more midfield attributes than those
of a ruck. He has great potential or scope for improvement, but
the fact he was available at pick 19 says it all for me.

You seem to be implying that a ruckman having the attributes of a midfielder is a bad thing? It essentially gives us an extra mid. Thats a good thing. Thats why he is considered a special prospect.

You seem to be implying that a ruckman having the attributes of a midfielder is a bad thing? It essentially gives us an extra mid. Thats a good thing. Thats why he is considered a special prospect.
You obviously missed the piece of my post where i said he has great
potential and scope for improvement or avoided it completely. What
i was implying was simply he was not selected for dominating as a
ruck because he did not nor was he the stand out ruck in the draft.
He has a unique point of difference that is why he was drafted by
us, not for what he is, but for what he could be.

He's really the perfect ruck for a coach who doesnt rate rucks.

You are probably right that we would have had mail that one of the other clubs was going to choose Lipinski before our next pick and he was who we wanted based on the info we had so we went with him early. However I also would agree with the poster who said we probably moved up the order to try and get Cedric Cox but just missed out so under that scenario we would most likely have rolled the dice on Lipinski, but once Cox was taken it meant we just went with who we considered next best and didn't risk that he would not be there later.

In posting what I did I certainly wasn't trying to pot the Lipinski pick, I really like what he brings as a player, I was just trying to understand the strategy of moving up in the draft to take a player most pundits rated much lower. But who am I to question our recruiting team, they certainly have the runs on the board and I hope all our picks work out fantastic.
I don't think we moved up the order to target any one player over another. Too much time exists between the end of trade week and the draft that includes out recruiting and list management team doing the majority of their planning and list analysis let alone trying to catch wind on how other players slide or rise on other club's boards.

It was more we knew the talent pool went 35-40 deep for at least B+ quality and we wanted to ensure that our second pick was well inside that range.

It's also easier to take risks when you are the reigning premiers
with a list full of depth, Cloke trade drafting etc.

Look at his history, Bont at 4 was seen as a risk

Seems that way. I guess we'll never know but it'seems a bit of a bummer to think that we may have been able to get Cox with our second and still get the other guys we wanted by rolling back all our other picks.

Live trading would make these scenarios interesting. Would we have been able to trade picks 28 & 49 for Norths 34 & 36? Then we could have potentially picked up Lipinski & Williams or Rotham. We should definitely have been able to get Freos 38 & 41 or Geelongs 40 & 43. It would definitely make the draft a better spectator sport.

Look at his history, Bont at 4 was seen as a risk
Yeah, that was the take by a lot of "journalists" at the time.

I think Lipinski will be the best of this year's crop, yet he was "rated" around Pick 50 I think by most media analysts.

It's too late now to worry about, but i wonder if we had taken
Cedric Cox first would Tim English have slid to our second pick.
I found the three in a row picks of Cedric Cox, Ben Long and
Brandon Parfitt very strange indeed. The rookie draft needs to
be renamed the ruckman draft as nine were selected. Anyhow
it matters not onwards and upwards.
If English was the number 1 need and ranked as number 1 best available by Dal and JMac then just go with it.

Quite happy with the taller guys being drafted, seems our forward/ruck stocks will be fine going forward. Perhaps we are working on a big name/gun defender to be traded in in due course though say if Morris retires and Adams walks out next year, but we should be backing ourselves to retain Adams imo.

I like that we took our first this year in a year our first didn't have much value on the trade table (basically a second rounder it was), so it gives us flexibility to trade next year or the year after if need be imo.

Yeah, that was the take by a lot of "journalists" at the time.

I think Lipinski will be the best of this year's crop, yet he was "rated" around Pick 50 I think by most media analysts.
I wonder where he would've been rated in the media if he didn't miss that large chunk of the season through injury, given he'd only just moved into the midfield one game before his injury and was immediately racking up big numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back