Live Event 2016 National Draft - November 25th, 6:30pm AEDT, Fox Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocked Richards didn't get another go, but likely to have failed the attitude test especially after publicly saying he wouldn't be fussed if he wasn't just drafted because he just wanted to be in Melbourne

I like our tactic of drafting a ruck/tall in the rookie draft to help increase the average height of our list. Thanks, Caleb Daniel

Yeah right? Follows up his taps well, takes a good grab, tackles well for a tall guy. Wonder what the knocks are?

Just from his profile on inside footy. It seems he's a bit too short to play as a ruckman at 195cm and the difference between his best and worst is poles apart apparently. He also lacks confidence.

It mentions he played his best game as a key forward against Oakleigh where he kicked 3 goals, so he was being played out of position in the ruck for most of the season anyway.

Morrish, Jonty and Walker must be absolute toolheads or have bodies made of balsawood. Likewise Luke Bunker.

Plenty of clubs reselected delisted players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morrish, Jonty and Walker must be absolute toolheads or have bodies made of balsawood. Likewise Luke Bunker.

Plenty of clubs reselected delisted players.
Jonty tested terribly for endurance didn't he?
Can't play midfield if you're so below average for running capacity.

From the highlights it seems this lad has a bit of mongrel, tough tackler, good mark and reasonable tap ruckman.

Looks like a very solid rookie pick. Does anyone know how much he weighs?

From the highlights it seems this lad has a bit of mongrel, tough tackler, good mark and reasonable tap ruckman.

Looks like a very solid rookie pick. Does anyone know how much he weighs?
82kg

Brenton Sanderson will be pissed Jonty never got a go, he was seriously in love with the kid. He kept saying he will be an elite AFL player when commentating the champs this year and even last year. I think he had a fair few people fooled.

have to say im happy with the draft haul. English, Young and NMM look good prospects for the future. Dunno about Fergus and Lipinski looks solid and being a doggies fan growing up is good. Would have obviously liked to bag Long instead but you cant win em all

I presume we really wanted Fergus Greene because we otherwise would have been able to draft Lipinski at 49 and picked up Young with our final pick. Both would have most likely still been available at those selections which would have freed up pick 28 to use on someone else like Bolton, Rotham or Maibaum.

The only reason we wouldn't use this as our draft strategy would be if we thought someone else might take Lipinski before pick 49 (possible but probably unlikely) or because we really wanted Fergus Greene as well as the other two and therefore we needed to take the others much earlier than necessary just because that's where our picks were placed.

It seems odd to me to actively work through the trade period to move up the order to get a pick in the early second round only to use it on a player that probably would have been there in the third round anyway. I think from memory we moved up in the second round but dropped back in subsequent rounds to get what was originally pick 26 but became pick 28.

In saying this I'm not having a go at Lipinski, in fact I think he sounds like a really good developing player and given Dal's record I'm sure he will turn out to be very good. It's just that I think we could have picked both him and Young anyway and instead of getting Fergus Greene, who really could have been rookied today most likely, we could have gotten Bolton, Rotham or Maibaum or someone else of that calibre by better utilising the picks at our disposal.

Not sure if this has already been commented on because I haven't read the whole draft thread so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else has already said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back