VFL Round 8, 2018: Sandringham v Werribee - TBB Oval, Sunday 27th May, 2:00PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Armo has been playing as a forward in the seniors, which he's clearly not.

You'd obviously get a better return if you put him in the middle, but whether or not your prepared to move Steele or Dunstan is the question.

Probably not with the side where it is.

Would actually like to see Steele go forward for a stint. Play him at FF one out a la De Goey.

I recall he kicked 4 goals in an U18 game and thought he must be able to go forward..

Would actually like to see Steele go forward for a stint. Play him at FF one out a la De Goey.

I recall he kicked 4 goals in an U18 game and thought he must be able to go forward..
You want a gig as game tactician Punter?
That’s the sort of lateral thinking we sometimes need in the box.
Pays well.
Can’t guarantee security of tenure but.

Armo has more courage than the majority of the nancy boy snipers on this forum.
It’s got bugger all to do with courage...

Armo has it in spades, we know that, he always has had, but he’s slower than a period drama now and can’t bend over anymore. He’s getting 40 touches at VFL level because he’s an AFL-level talent, but also because the speed of the game suits him; it’s slower!

Armo is averaging 16.8 disposals at AFL level. His direct competitors, Luke Dunstan and Jack Steele, average 23.1 and 21.2 possessions respectively. Blake Acres averages 23.3 touches, and Seb Ross 28.3!

Ed Phillips plays a different role but is averaging 21.3, Sinclair similar on 18.6, and even Dan McKenzie had 13 in his first game back at the level, in a variety of roles. Playing part forward, Jack Newnes has proved more effective too.

With the season - and the team - where it is, unfortunately he’s being squeezed out. He’s been a warrior, but Father Time and a battle-worn body aren’t sentimental.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandringham
Goal Kickers
:N. Smith 3, R. Connellan 3, J. Battle 3, J. Haidon 2, H. Mclean 2, J. Noone, D. Minchington, B. Longer, R. Marshall, J. Sziller, B. Paton, D. Langlands, M. Cook
Best Players:D. Armitage, D. Minchington, N. Wright, R. Connellan, B. Paton, T. Lamb
I didn't see Paton much, surprised to see him in the bests. What's Jersey number?

Can have all the courage in the world, but if you can’t find the ball then you shouldn’t be playing AFL.
Unfortunately this. Guy is a warrior but the body is cooked.

Tough game, time catches everyone. Others have gone past

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, Armo's done enough to earn respect over his career. He's been a warrior and a pro off field, he's the first guy to get around and do stuff for the club outside of the footy.

Unfortunately this. Guy is a warrior but the body is cooked.

Tough game, time catches everyone. Others have gone past

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a tough one, if he's injured and restricted he shouldn't come back but you have to have a fair selection process. If he gets right why not play him?

I think Connellan would play better at a higher level. He has good traits, quick, huge kick nice size.

Put him in a game where his spread is used and players can deliver to him. Might be a dangerous forward

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd love to see Connellan in the AFL, at 187 cm he's taller than Gresh, Lonie and Billings, with genuine leg speed and a spending most of his time at half forward, he'd not only improve our overall speed he'd release Billings and Gresh for more centre duties, if Dunstan is injured he could easily come in and not only change or forward structures but push mid field changes as well.

I'd love to see Connellan in the AFL, at 187 cm he's taller than Gresh, Lonie and Billings, with genuine leg speed and a spending most of his time at half forward, he'd not only improve our overall speed he'd release Billings and Gresh for more centre duties, if Dunstan is injured he could easily come in and not only change or forward structures but push mid field changes as well.

Can he tackle? I haven't seen him play, but that's not always a skill of the Irish guys and it's pretty important in the forward line.

In the one game I saw of Connellan this year (Sandy v Port) he was by far the worst player on the ground and a total liability. Obviously he is capable of doing some special things, but just to give everyone a bit of perspective he certainly does not have consistent form this year.

Obviously I hope he makes it and I'm rapt that he kicked 3 but I am guessing he'd be a looong way off getting into the AFL side. Happy to be proven wrong though :)

Can he tackle? I haven't seen him play, but that's not always a skill of the Irish guys and it's pretty important in the forward line.
Maaate, Lonie can't run fast enough to catch any one to tackle, Armo can't run at all, any tackle he lays will be because someone ran into him, Newnes and Dunstan have crook shoulders, if they tackle they can't stick them anyway. Connellan is and will be flawed, so are the rest of them.

That goal tap in from the pocket today is nice.
But not Ray’s best.
That was a jaw dropper.
Last year, same pocket, and just used his speed. Bang!
We are going to get pumped by the Weagles if we rock up next week with a “standard” game plan.
Hickey is our most critical player for that game.
If he cannot negate the Weagles rucks, we’ll be murdered.
If he can place some constraint on their dominance, we have a chance.
We need to mix it up and hopefully play against expectations.
Speed is one way.
Risky, but heh.
Here for a good time....

Most footballers do. Doesn’t mean we can’t have an opinion on him - Armo has looked cooked since the start of 2016 when the club commenced playin him week in week out with back & groin issues that are still killing his game 2 years later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back