Autopsy 2022 Rd 7 Blues down the Roos by 50

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching the game and reading the gameday thread at the same time. Gee there are some hard markers on here! We are doing well.

Lets enjoy it.

Silvagni is very important to us. LOB's kicking skills are exquisite. Cripps is unstoppable.

On to Adelaide

Saad has always demonstrated that defensive mindset for us and he has always been an all round player. It is not a new development. In fact, his defensive game has actually been more important to us than his attacking game in my opinion. He's an all round gun
I just love watching Saad get across the turf.
His acceleration allows him to get to contest and intercept where most would have no hope

LOB - 15 disp @ 86%, 3 i50s (that bullet to Martin tho)
My frustration with LOB is he simply does not get enough of it normally, to make use of his kicking skills.
If he could get over 20 way more, would be a regular in side.
15 was ok, but please make that your minimum Lochie.
You too good a talent to not make more of your ability.

My frustration with LOB is he simply does not get enough of it normally, to make use of his kicking skills.

Agree, but I think 15-20 damaging touches and as many i50s he can gain will keep him in. Improved performance last night. Hitting the scoreboard eventually each week would make it even better. Turning 23, he is playing for his career. Time will tell.

Agree, but I think 15-20 damaging touches and as many i50s he can gain will keep him in. Improved performance last night. Hitting the scoreboard eventually each week would make it even better. Turning 23, he is playing for his career. Time will tell.
He should stay in but he needs to realise this needs to be his minimum or he risks his career being over by his mid 20's.

There was a physical side to Carlton’s win last night that excites me for the future. A couple of decent hip and shoulders and plenty of fierce tackling all over the ground. North thought it was out of a tight situation on a few occasions only to find another Carlton player close by and ready to apply physical pressure. I love the team aspects of the game which indicate a commitment to each other.

It was a team effort across the park last night with plenty of contributors however Cripps, Saad and McKay led the way for individual efforts. Harry does love playing at Docklands.

I enjoyed Jack Carroll’s game last night. Poor bugger ran himself into the ground but for 3 quarters it was special. I love the artists of the game and Jack looks like one. The kick to McKay where he had the defender in his face and he turned slightly away to execute the perfect pass was a thing of beauty.

It'd help if teammate didn't keep burning him as an option.

Once he's in the air, the defender has already lost. The trick to being a tall defender - or behaving like one even if you're undersized - is to prevent the unobstructed leap. You put body on, you knock them the second they start to move and the second before they leave the ground.

You're not going to be able to put the fist in to prevent a 200+cm player in their leap from marking the ball. It's not possible to do without breaking the rules. The game isn't to beat him leaping, but prevent him from leaping.

Harry's playing well, but a quality defender's not letting him leap like that.
Was pretty amazing to watch how far back he took off on a couple of occasions, only to come down with the ball.

A great win, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed in some individual performances that could've been better. I know it's probably unfair but when I see how easy Curnow and Harry were running around inside 50 I really would've loved one of them (if not both) to go next level and get 7 or 8 goals. Charlie really should've but missed some easy chances. I compare it to cricket where a couple of blokes get 50s but no one really goes on to get the century. I feel like Charlie and Harry both made 50s with neither really capitalising. Charlie probably had 5 fairly easy missed chances - including the complete whiff of a chest mark that fortuitously leaked out the back to Owies.

Perhaps the same could be said about Cripps, 35 and 1 goal 2 is a really good game (a 3 vote game even), but 35 and 3 goals is a huge game. Maybe more like he got to 180 but missed out on 200 :p

However in a game where that's the biggest criticism I have then it must've been a good night! Those aren't stern critiques btw more just the lamenting of missed opportunities, as part of me wonders still if we really have the killer mentality yet, and not taking those chances leaves me with the query.

Loved how maturely we handled it when Norf tried to huff and puff and push and shove. We laughed them off the field basically.

Everyone was solid really. Liked O'Briens kicking, I've been critical and haven't bought in entirely but it was a great step. We've seen him have games like it before so I'll be keen to see next week if he backs it up or it was another one off. Drifted in and out a little and still only had 15 touches but it was a overall a good game by his standards. I think the Crows will look to bring heat after this weeks poor effort so it'll be interesting to see how he handles a game with a bit more pressure on and less time (should that eventuate) - that tends to be when it falls apart a little for him.

Durdin was quiet, but applied a lot of pressure. Doesn't let low possessions limit his effort which is great.

Fisher was essentially in his perfect role tonight. From centre-wing to the edge of 50 is where I want 90% of his disposals to come from. Not sure I want the ball in anyone elses hands when he plays like last night tbph. Except maybe Harry when he's kicking 55m set shots!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im trilled to be 5-2 after 7, we have improved materially from last year. Still a bit predictable for mine with forward entries but did better after half time.

Doubt we will be come a top 4 team this year, but parts of our game have now clicked.

Crippa still the heart beat and most important player. Great again last night. Harry has matured and was fantastic, looked like marking everything.

Saad and doc exceptional too.

Not sure hewit is an automatic in. I liked our midfield balance last night. Kennedy as a burst mid, working with crippa works well. How great is Sam Walsh. His ability to contribute and influence whether foward or mid provides so much flex.

Owes tackling pressure better. And the King did well in the ruck.

We are good incept 3rd defender away from being really strong. Plow plugged hole tonight but is not the long term answer.

Dilema i see is Lob and Fish deliver inside 50 well, and make us let predictable but both poor one on one players and we get exposed at times. JSOS underated in this but cant execute if he plays ruck.

Looking forward to see how we evolve. And JC what a great game. Very impressive. Loved how balanced his stats were. Complete player.
I thought inside 50s were often cleaner (other than a few howlers).

Mostly deeper which suits us and limits rebound.

The problem was its hard to extrapolate given almost not pressure on the ball carrier...and we were better but still not great

Im trilled to be 5-2 after 7, we have improved materially from last year. Still a bit predictable for mine with forward entries but did better after half time.

Doubt we will be come a top 4 team this year, but parts of our game have now clicked.

Crippa still the heart beat and most important player. Great again last night. Harry has matured and was fantastic, looked like marking everything.

Saad and doc exceptional too.

Not sure hewit is an automatic in. I liked our midfield balance last night. Kennedy as a burst mid, working with crippa works well. How great is Sam Walsh. His ability to contribute and influence whether foward or mid provides so much flex.

Owes tackling pressure better. And the King did well in the ruck.

We are good incept 3rd defender away from being really strong. Plow plugged hole tonight but is not the long term answer.

Dilema i see is Lob and Fish deliver inside 50 well, and make us let predictable but both poor one on one players and we get exposed at times. JSOS underated in this but cant execute if he plays ruck.

Looking forward to see how we evolve. And JC what a great game. Very impressive. Loved how balanced his stats were. Complete player.
Was gonna love your post until 'Hewett not an automatic in'
Joe Biden Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu
Oh No Reaction GIF by The Great British Bake Off
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Looking at Larkey tunnelling Young again, and Plowman was the first to react with aggressive intent. Kennedy was the next and Doc and Cripps flew the flag like the team leaders they are.

Not the first time for Plow either. He got suspended for flying the flag for Weitering once.

Good man.

I was not enthused when Plow came into the 22, but thought he played very well last night. Kept a cool head numerous times, that spoil on the last line was very good, and as you said he stood up for his teammate as he often does.
Still not convinced he’s best 22, but as a backup he’s more than serviceable.

Even on tv you could see him getting to great positions and being ignored by teammates. Would have had more possessions if we used him.

Made good position a lot though and was ignored - when fish found Newnes for his goal, LOB was open in the same spot at the bottom of the screen.

Fish being a lefty kicked to Newnes rather than change direction to find LOB but he was there.

Yeah, they need to use him more. His kicking is too good to not make more use of.
I called it at half time and during the last game I watched live. LOB takes up excellent wide positions and he gets burnt all the time.

Fine if there is a corridor option but he's getting burnt for s**t 40m down the line kicks.

His kick to Martini was sublime

Back