Review Rd 20 Review - Freo Shown Up by Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't really understand the AP hate tbh. There was the one awful 1v1 he lost to weid but I thought he was definitely one of our better defenders. Cox, Ryan, chappy all so much worse
Alex Pearce is a Dawson like footballer. Absolutely liability with ball in hand. Don't tell me you don't hesitate when he's about to kick the ball. Worse kick in the team by far.

The grace of a baby giraffe.

Weideman is a complete spud. He normal does sweet F all so that's not a feather in Pearce's cap.

He lost a fair few 1v1's last night as well. The whole team played like poop so he's not on his lonesome.

People still blaming our forwards for pathetic "bomb it long" entries? Wow. Although this board weekly blames Tabs & Walters so what else is new.

Meanwhile Jackson takes one mark, doesn't get a kick for two quarters and didn't hit the scoreboard despite his team absolutely dominanting, but people on here will tell you he's worth every dollar next year
So you were happy with Tabs and Lobb’s workrate? They never try to outrun their opponent and get to a decent spot for the kick.as for Jackson, he saw more of the ball and had more impact than Lobb who is 8 years older and on 750k per year

Thoughts on Walker tonight?

I thought he was unlucky with Pickett kicking 3 with all 3 off turnover I think. He lacks a little bit of desperation at times, but he is starting to show more composure with & without the ball & definitely was one player who tried to run & create from the back half through the middle of the ground.

Big positive for me on a disappointing night.
Walk has been solid this year for a 2nd year depth player.

Not a massive disposals grabber by any stretch.

He could of been dropped a couple of times for every game he got 9 disposals or less but backed it up with a 14-17 disposal game

Alex Pearce is a Dawson like footballer. Absolutely liability with ball in hand. Don't tell me you don't hesitate when he's about to kick the ball. Worse kick in the team by far.

The grace of a baby giraffe.

Weideman is a complete spud. He normal does sweet F all so that's not a feather in Pearce's cap.

He lost a fair few 1v1's last night as well. The whole team played like poop so he's not on his lonesome.
Yeah but there were defenders far worse than him yesterday who aren't copping near enough flak as him. Ryan's regularly getting bags kicked on him and his kick ins are disgusting. Cox was completely disinterested and just decided he didn't feel like helping out in any contest. Chappy can't win a 1v1 and is only good for his rebounding atm. Pearce was better than all of them at least

People still blaming our forwards for pathetic "bomb it long" entries? Wow. Although this board weekly blames Tabs & Walters so what else is new.

Meanwhile Jackson takes one mark, doesn't get a kick for two quarters and didn't hit the scoreboard despite his team absolutely dominanting, but people on here will tell you he's worth every dollar next year

both can be true

Forwards are s**t, delivery is s**t

taberner doesn’t get a free pass because Maurice Rioli isn’t kicking to him.
his inability to take barely any contested marks, get any separation, lead to the right spots is glaring

I only managed to watch 5 minutes of last nights game. In that Time I saw Henry make 2 simple fumbles and spray a kick. I love the kid but don’t get the hype. His skills aren’t great and he’s not overly quick.

I also saw we haven’t fixed anything with regard to forward entries and forward pressure. We need to mix it up and try something new. Tabenars body can’t cope. Fit and firing he’s great. But he’s not fit and firing so why play him?

I only managed to watch 5 minutes of last nights game. In that Time I saw Henry make 2 simple fumbles and spray a kick. I love the kid but don’t get the hype. His skills aren’t great and he’s not overly quick.

I also saw we haven’t fixed anything with regard to forward entries and forward pressure. We need to mix it up and try something new. Tabenars body can’t cope. Fit and firing he’s great. But he’s not fit and firing so why play him?

well that seals it..Henry had a decent game, including one fantastic chase down, and some very nice disposals

So you were happy with Tabs and Lobb’s workrate? They never try to outrun their opponent and get to a decent spot for the kick.as for Jackson, he saw more of the ball and had more impact than Lobb who is 8 years older and on 750k per year
I've been very unhappy with our entries all season. I even voiced this while we were top 4 and winning, because it was going to crumble eventually. It has the last two months and JL hasn't fixed it. Forwards aren't the issue, I've been saying this for many years, it's the structure or lack of. JL still hasn't fixed it and until he does, no forward will ever satisfy this board and they'll be personally blamed.

Lobb had a poor game, which isn't surprising given our poor entries, yet he had more marks than Jackson. Jackson had no impact whatsoever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

both can be true

Forwards are s**t, delivery is s**t

taberner doesn’t get a free pass because Maurice Rioli isn’t kicking to him.
his inability to take barely any contested marks, get any separation, lead to the right spots is glaring
Exactly, mid forward connection goes both ways. Our mids are hesitating and trying to do too much because they have no trust in the forwards to be able to halve contests. Imagine if our mids were kicking to Hawkins and Cameron, they'd not be so afraid to go direct because they know they don't have to be so precise when they have forwards who can beat their man.

Hey,
Thanks for response, do they keep a stat for dropped marks?
One thing he has done is improved his conversion rate over the journey, very reliable now with around the corner shots.
J Lo presser I believe indicated he is not immune to/close to getting dropped. As should several others be, Schultz is going shocking and Colyer should be gone for good, however I believe been signed for another year.
I agree Shultz has had a bad three weeks but before that was ok. What forward has been good over that time? None. Walters ok last night and Banfield probably overachieved but Fred and Colyer have been arguably worse than all of them. Lack of pressure has been really telling. Problems don't fall on one player. Teams have worked out our game plan and adapted and Switta has been a huge defensive loss forward. Jaymie Graham was being lauded our forward saviour when the team was travelling well, now he looks more David Hale. Things have changed and the forward problems are multi-faceted, stemming from the defence, midfield and forward line (team structure and game plan). Also obviously agree with you in that no one should be immune to getting dropped. Not sure if they keep stats for dropped marks (or missed holding free kicks for that matter) when it comes to Taberner. I think if he was more aggressive and a different sort of personality, he might get some of the frees that most other tall forwards get in spades. He really is dealt with harshly for some reason.

My issue was the reference he's been a crab since Day 1. Your expectations may have been too high for a rookie pick. But the fact that he got a AFL Rising Star nomination, made the 40 man AA squad in 2020 and was in the top 2-3 contested marks in the AFL for about 3 years running makes me think he isn't a crab. 2020 he averaged more goals per game and kicked more in total than Darling, who I believe you don't oppose us picking up. Tabs would've finished 1st or 2nd in the Coleman that year (I think he finished 2 goals from 3rd, 3 goals off 2nd) if he hadn't missed 6 or 7 games (which is the real issue - his body not holding up).

Edit: Thought I'd check on some stats and Taberner has averaged more goals per game than Jack Darling in 2020, 2021 and 2022. He's obviously a stronger contested mark too. Their career stats aren't that far apart to be honest.

Last edited:
I've been very unhappy with our entries all season. I even voiced this while we were top 4 and winning, because it was going to crumble eventually. It has the last two months and JL hasn't fixed it. Forwards aren't the issue, I've been saying this for many years, it's the structure or lack of. JL still hasn't fixed it and until he does, no forward will ever satisfy this board and they'll be personally blamed.

Lobb had a poor game, which isn't surprising given our poor entries, yet he had more marks than Jackson. Jackson had no impact whatsoever
Sorry, forwards aren't the issue? That's just incredible that you could even write that. The forward line was diabolical last night. Taberner at his best comes up to the wing to provide a marking option and seems to be everywhere. Last night he shouldn't have been playing, couldn't run and was unable to get separation from his opponent.

You're giving them an out. Our forward entries are rubbish because our forwards are getting soundly beaten and providing no good options. Anyone watching Frtisch last night can see how good he was at getting free from Ryan.

On a brighter note I am opening up memberships for the Blake Acres is a spud club.

All new enquiries welcome.

I don't get the Alex Pearce hate either. I have brought up the Alex Pearce vs Zac Dawson comparison a few times.

Zac Dawson was a very good one on one defender that stood his ground vs the full forwards or the rucks. He was a horrible kick.

Alex Pearce is a solid one on one defender that stood his ground vs the full forwards and rucks. He is a solid medium kick over 15-30 metres. He is confident in playing beyond the defensive 50 too.
Dawson could play team defence at least, Pearce is a liability to the whole backline, can’t cover anyone, constantly gets bailed out, leaves his man to impact contests and runs in a straight line with s**t timing and inability to turn

That’s all when he’s not skittling into teammates

Reckon anyone on our list with a modicum of height would have had the same result on weideman last night

Sorry, forwards aren't the issue? That's just incredible that you could even write that. The forward line was diabolical last night. Taberner at his best comes up to the wing to provide a marking option and seems to be everywhere. Last night he shouldn't have been playing, couldn't run and was unable to get separation from his opponent.

You're giving them an out. Our forward entries are rubbish because our forwards are getting soundly beaten and providing no good options. Anyone watching Frtisch last night can see how good he was at getting free from Ryan.
Exactly, the forwards don’t take on the defenders.

I am one of the first to call out Henry , but he was far from our worst last night , Don't know if I would be making a call on his game from the 5 minutes you are talking about.He played a solid game and did some very good things opened up play with some clever use of hands.

chappy had 10 touches last night! he’s too good a player to be getting left out in the cold like that, move him up the ground let him play the wing and get acres out im sick of his 100m high loopy kicks down the line, chapman is good in the air and cleaner with the ball

bring wilson back to get that run back from the backline, looked good in his couple appearances

i really do not rate pearce at all, but we’ve seem to have lost our intercept marking game across the board

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was at game, now enough strong cuppas to face this thread. My first take:

So, we're not yet good enough to stay strong all season. So what, the boys have ridden way higher to date than many thought possible. Great team in making and given me an exciting ride to here. Finals PLEASE!

Don't write experience out of our young team. Sonny delivered and Mundy continues to be useful.
Walker at 19 will have clangers but boy I'd never take that wonderful speed and forward-ho out of the team.
Freddy will get there, does in bursts and more likely to get goals than not.
Henry has sparkle. Will need JL's persistence and likely to repay it.
The Brayshaw-Brodie synergy is gold. and Aish is gold we got at the hock shop!
Caleb's a nugget too, just not sure where he'll shine brightest.
Young - what a ripper. Chappy, yes thanks and more please.
Lucky to have Luke, Brennan at his best is fine. Need AP's height and dash but fitness - heart-in-mouth.
I'm a Logue fan. Not yet the keenest goalkicker but even so gave us one plus muscle in a damp slog.
Unless we get LJ without giant mortgage I also don't want us to get rid of Meek. Darcy better, but different skills.

Umps: of course we moan but yesterday took the cake. As for that spiteful campaigner Oliver, who scragged our boys off-ball all game, NOT to have a clear free against and then be given one - may your Brownlow votes be shredded.

The way Forward is the big question. Lobb (urrgg) is Mr Sometimes, Tabs tries more but seems stiff and done. Amiss and ?Drizz part of answer but not now. So........?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back