Review Rd 20 Review - Freo Shown Up by Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure some statw***er will come charging to his defence but compared to Lachie Neal at the same age Serong is useless at the things he should be good at contested ball and clearances

Neat disposal and clean hands in loose ball situations is not a great set of weapons for a small slowish inside mid and even worse is how easily he gets stepped around in space

For all our worries with players he’s easily the most for mine because we invested so much in him for the future

Last edited:
I’m sure some statw***er will come charging to his defence but compared to Lachie Neal at the same age Serong is useless at the things he should be good at contested ball and clearances

Neat disposal and clean hands in loose ball situations is not a great set of weapons for a small slowish inside mid and even worse is how easily he gets stepped around in space

For all our worries with players he’s easily the most for mine because we invested so much in him for the future
Soooo your going to immediately put a disclaimer in saying we cant use stats to defend a position while saying Neale at the same is much better at contested ball and clearances (two very much stat-based claims)? I assume you know what the stats say comparing the two at the same age then?

Last edited:

How pathetic

Soooo your going to immediately put a disclaimer in saying we cant use stats to defend a position while saying Neal at the same is much better at contested ball and clearances? I assume you know what the stats say comparing the two at the same age then?

Nah wouldn’t have a clue , just watch the games and you could see Neale turning into an elite ball winner and I just don’t see that with Serong

I’m not saying numbers don’t matter and they paint a pretty good picture of team strengths and weaknesses but I don’t think they matter much when comparing players

Time will tell

First one they booted out of the guts last nite though when the alarms started blaring in the coaches box says something I think

Last edited:
Nah wouldn’t have a clue , just watch the games and you could see Neale turning into an elite ball winner and I just don’t see that with Serong

I’m not saying numbers don’t matter and they paint a pretty good picture of team strengths and weaknesses but I don’t think they matter much when comparing players

Time will tell
I think that's because at the time (2014), Neale was progressing from borderline best 22 to clear best 22 so it was all very exciting with unlimited potential. Serong has been best 22 since year 1 and therefore not as exciting and the growth isnt the same.

Do I think Serong will be as good as Neale, an eventual Brownlow winner and top player? Hard to tell, probability would suggest it's unlikely, but he's going to play a lot of very good games for us for another 10 + years and at the very least be a consistently A-grade mid

Stop. Serong is a gun. He's still in his third year playing as an inside mid, he'll get fitter and stronger as he gets older.

Serong is not even close to being a problem in our team, relax bro.

If you wanna get technical, possibly round 1 of 2019 vs north when freo kicked 21.15.141.

Hogan got a club suspension 5 days out.

Cameron McCarthy kicked 5 goals.
I am looking forward to reading your book if you ever decide to write one.
Your knowledge of random stats from long forgotten games is incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they're pretty s**t if it's a 6pm start. The whole stadium transport policy is based around everyone getting the train in, and Transperth are incapable of delivering the service on a weekday.

It was an absolute cluster *. Transperth couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

The forwards are rightfully copping a lot of heat but you just have to look at the contested possession/i50 numbers to realise how badly beaten the mids were last night.

None of the forwards bar Walters had a decent game but they were given scraps to feed off for most of the night. Better players would have probably bought us a few extra goals but even with Hawkins and the Geelong/Brissy Camerons, we'd have lost pretty comfortably.

It's not really surprising the team was far more potent earlier in the season when the midfielders were ticking. We really need Brodie, Serong, Brayshaw and Darcy to continue improving next season + at least one of Erasmus and Johnson to start getting proper minutes.

Dunno what’s changed since earlier in the season but the really stark contrast I saw was when Walters intereceoted that short pass in the middle in the 3rd. Earlier in the year you’d put that in the book fir a Freo goal without a second thought as the scores from turn overs were awesome. Last night there was no run or options at all for him. The team has lost something and i hope they find it quickly

It's not really their fault. No stadium of that size works well when only 1 mode of transport is relied upon to get 80% of the crowd in.

With all trains on those lines stopping at the stadium, it would have been easy to filter people onto those trains. Instead they filtered everyone onto the one platform for the football special. Trying to cram multiple trains worth of people onto the one train is idiotic.

The forwards are rightfully copping a lot of heat but you just have to look at the contested possession/i50 numbers to realise how badly beaten the mids were last night.

None of the forwards bar Walters had a decent game but they were given scraps to feed off for most of the night. Better players would have probably bought us a few extra goals but even with Hawkins and the Geelong/Brissy Camerons, we'd have lost pretty comfortably.

It's not really surprising the team was far more potent earlier in the season when the midfielders were ticking. We really need Brodie, Serong, Brayshaw and Darcy to continue improving next season + at least one of Erasmus and Johnson to start getting proper minutes.
Forwards contribute to contested possessions as well. Could be argued we're deficient in that stat because we're getting a fat zero from our forwards

With all trains on those lines stopping at the stadium, it would have been easy to filter people onto those trains. Instead they filtered everyone onto the one platform for the football special. Trying to cram multiple trains worth of people onto the one train is idiotic.

Yeah I did wonder why they weren't telling people that they can get an Armadale or Thornlie line train as well.....whilst I was waiting on the football train platform looking at stacks of room free on the Thornlie train.

Forwards contribute to contested possessions as well. Could be argued we're deficient in that stat because we're getting a fat zero from our forwards

To an extent but it's more a reflection on the midfielders IMO. Given we also had 50+ extra uncontested possessions it speaks to painfully slow, inefficient ball movement which made it even harder to score, especially against Melbourne.

Not absolving the forwards of their responsibility for only managing 5.9 but there were systemic problems across the board.

Sorry, forwards aren't the issue? That's just incredible that you could even write that. The forward line was diabolical last night. Taberner at his best comes up to the wing to provide a marking option and seems to be everywhere. Last night he shouldn't have been playing, couldn't run and was unable to get separation from his opponent.

You're giving them an out. Our forward entries are rubbish because our forwards are getting soundly beaten and providing no good options. Anyone watching Frtisch last night can see how good he was at getting free from Ryan.

You just said he shouldn't have been playing, is that because you think he's injured, or form wise? Because if it's injury, then that's literally a coaching issue.

If our forwards consistently run to the wrong positions, you don't think that's a coaching issue? You're the one giving the coaches an out actually, not me at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back