Game Day West Coast v Port Adelaide Preseason Training Drill @ Lathlain 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s 20 years old and has played 4 games of AFL, of course we need to temper expectations

Doesn’t mean he hasn’t been training well or that he can’t be a very good player in due course

Indeed. Unfortunately, he looked better in those 4 rookie games last year than he did last night though... :shrug:

Don't get mad, just making an observation.

It really is frustrating, because by all reports (and from what I’ve noticed too) he’s been really taking the game on at training with his running and ball use.

It was a shame to see him go into his shell a bit yesterday. Every time he got the ball in his hands I was imploring him to take the attacking option but he rarely did unfortunately.

I reckon it’s a confidence thing. If he was being coached to take the safe option every time he wouldn’t have gotten dropped as much as he did last year
In his draft year, he was flatstick attack off half back. Used his tools to great effect and made him stand out.
I was so glad to read he had gone back to it in preseason, but first test and he's failed. So frustrating.
Hopefully coaches have brought it up in his review, as he should be enjoying a solid AFL career right now.

In his draft year, he was flatstick attack off half back. Used his tools to great effect and made him stand out.
I was so glad to read he had gone back to it in preseason, but first test and he's failed. So frustrating.
Hopefully coaches have brought it up in his review, as he should be enjoying a solid AFL career right now.
I mean the coaches are most of the reason why he plays like this now, they've coached him to do it

The first bolded section is due to the fact that we are screwed at stoppages without Nic Nat, and the second bolded section is completely wrong and the reason for the first bolded.

Lycett smashed both of them. They did slightly better against Teakle (who has been on the port list all of 6 months).

Both of them are terrible at the moment. Jamo may improve in time but Williams just doesn’t have it.

Nic Nat goes down and we are ****ed.
I disagree. Port dominated the stoppages but it wasn't because Lycett was hitting them wherever he wanted.

Both our young rucks gave a decent account of themselves. Our mids are still pretty poopy and the root of the issue.

It's a big improvement from them and should be lauded as such. They still have a heap of development to come.

It really is frustrating, because by all reports (and from what I’ve noticed too) he’s been really taking the game on at training with his running and ball use.

It was a shame to see him go into his shell a bit yesterday. Every time he got the ball in his hands I was imploring him to take the attacking option but he rarely did unfortunately.

I reckon it’s a confidence thing. If he was being coached to take the safe option every time he wouldn’t have gotten dropped as much as he did last year

On the highlights package, he did take a couple of terrific marks. I like Rotham. Think he would be an excellent winger. How's his tank?

He was a bit more attacking in the second game

In the first game I don’t think there were many opportunities to really attack out of defence due to the way Port set up defensively

He was a bit more attacking in the second game

In the first game I don’t think there were many opportunities to really attack out of defence due to the way Port set up defensively

The problem with being based down south now is not getting to all the live matches but Rotham unfortunately to me still did the same deer in headlights look every time he had the ball. It's like he knows and has the skills and speed to put the ball exactly on the chest anywhere, if only the game was stationary. Just seems to me that as the tempo goes up he has a complete lack of vision in regards to the play. Outside of that he literally has everything. Sometimes you just wish you could take athletes like this and put the play reading ability and game sense of others into them.

It's also why I have huge issues with Bailey Willaims. It's not just that he's a terrible kick on goal and will only ever be a second ruck, it's that he has no game sense.

Reckon Rotham ended up with a couple of possessions based on shit kicks that dribbled out of bounds or he marked hemmed up on the boundary line. Doesn't really set him up for much. Came alive in the last.

Also noticed Ryan had the ball in the corridor and ignored Witherden on the overlap and chose to roost it to an outnumbered Allen after a free kick, which is a bit of a shame. Witho hits some delicious kicks i50, but has been locking down more so not getting up into those positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, he's only been in the system 8 to 9 months.
Also read that he hadn't really been in the 'elite pathway' that talented teenagers take to get them ready for AFL.

Could be a case of the reports indicating that the club are super impressed with how he is developing, but it may take longer than other draftees to establish himself.

I’m assuming because guys like Sheezel and Pou also played and looked good, so more money went on them???

Still remember that time Brander kicked like 4 goals in a preseason scratch match
Maybe the bookies watched all the preseason games, and realised the odds on Ashcroft weren’t short enough to start with.

And came to the elite pathways late as well. I don't expect him to be a superstar but he could be as good or better than Redden and is a noted goalkicker. Now for a mid season draft pick that would be one hell of a win.
Redden played over 250 games. If Culley ends up being as good as Redden then his selection is not just a win, it is a ‘ground the opposition’s bones to dust’ victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back