Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Perris
Highmore
NWM
Conolly

I came up with four names and would be happy to keep three of those.

Clark i assume stays under RTB. Bytel to make the most of his chances now or he will join the list.

How long can Peris stay cat B? 2 years?
He's not much of a footballer yet, but he has some serious pace. Real serious pace.

Come on Mick, put a match under that statement and name names.
It's not anything groundbreaking, 8-10 players leave every year.

Byrnes, Peris, Campbell, Connolly, Allison, Cordy, Stocker, Highmore are 8 that I could see go.

Then you've got uncertainty around NWM, Ross and Bytel who are all OOC.

Usually first ones in the door are the first ones out.

Everyone is just shooting the s**t at this point anyway, we're still months away from decisions.

Playing young kids that don’t deserve a game is tanking. If we heading near 18th on the ladder there could be a riot.
I'm suggesting that we back the kids who we need to play to field a team, so that they go out and play without worrying too much that a brain-fart gets them dropped ... not that we should load up with our bottom 23 to tank our way to pick 1.

Biiiiiiiiig difference.

It certainly is bad luck that key players are out. It could be the least likely to play but it’s really bad luck it’s key players. It is a fact it’s hey players but surely that’s just unlucky. I have no idea if they are coming back to early but I do know misson is very highly rated.

I don't believe in luck.

Coffield - reinjured in a different place from his LTI
Hayes - reinjured in a different place from his LTI
Billings - reinjured in a different place from his LTI

Then Membrey goes in for an athroscopy a couple of weeks before the season starts and the club reckons he will be ready by round 1. Windhager breaks his hand prior to the start of the season and he's going to be ready by round 1. Please, I have no problems with injuries but a bit of realism by our media team would be refreshing.

I would also rather the players spend a bit more time in non-intensive exercise regimes like swimming over the pre-season to build their aerobic capacity, then pilates, yoga for flexibilty then simple hand-eye building tasks to improve skill levels.

The less time they spend crunching into each other or running on hard surfaces over pre-season the better.

I don't believe in luck.

Then Membrey goes in for an athroscopy a couple of weeks before the season starts and the club reckons he will be ready by round 1. Windhager breaks his hand prior to the start of the season and he's going to be ready by round 1. Please, I have no problems with injuries but a bit of realism by our media team would be refreshing.

I would also rather the players spend a bit more time in non-intensive exercise regimes like swimming over the pre-season to build their aerobic capacity, then pilates, yoga for flexibilty then simple hand-eye building tasks to improve skill levels.

The less time they spend crunching into each other or running on hard surfaces over pre-season the better.
I don’t believe in guessing and I do believe in swings and roundabouts. By the way every club does what you have suggested regarding pre season that’s why I believe in swings and roundabouts.

I'm suggesting that we back the kids who we need to play to field a team, so that they go out and play without worrying too much that a brain-fart gets them dropped ... not that we should load up with our bottom 23 to tank our way to pick 1.

Biiiiiiiiig difference.
Of course we will back them but once a better player comes back from injury they have to replace them unless they really have proven they deserve spot. I don’t understand what you mean by backing them. What else bold the club do? They aren’t going to say you are in the side now but it’s a stop gap. And if they play ordinary and someone is playing well in the seconds then I don’t care how young they are they can be dropped. I don’t mean one incident but I also don’t mean play them for a certain amount of games however they are going.

Last edited:
Bytel Connolly Campbell Jones Allison Clark Highmore Peris Sharman NWM Gresham

Most of them from this list.
probably close to the mark this side of R1, I probably have Byrnes on that list also but like, Bytel, could benefit from our injury crisis and prove the doubters wrong.

It's not anything groundbreaking, 8-10 players leave every year.

Byrnes, Peris, Campbell, Connolly, Allison, Cordy, Stocker, Highmore are 8 that I could see go.

Then you've got uncertainty around NWM, Ross and Bytel who are all OOC.

Usually first ones in the door are the first ones out.

Everyone is just shooting the s**t at this point anyway, we're still months away from decisions.
I want to watch Cordy and Stocker play some AFL with us before I make that outrageous call, you are forgetting Ross the Boss has a magic wand.

Highmore is unlucky in that his ideal position is overstocked, could be a good pickup by another club.

Pace for sure but football skills i query at this level. Someone has to make way and imo he would be right at the top. Who would your first three be at seasons end excluding NWM?

He's cat B at the moment, and will only clear room for another Cat B. Can he remain that status for another year?
Either way delisting him or keeping him isn't going to do jack s**t for the team.

Its true , 8 of the past 15 seasons, we have delisted or retired 8 players.
Only twice more than that, 10 both years.
2008: Gehrig, Harvey, Attard, Fergason, Rix, Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Chivers, Van Rheenan , Fiora.
So we could bring in, Ray, Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Smith, Cahill, Begley, Dawson, Simpkin.

2020: reduced list size?
Nathan Brown , Austin, Langlands, Abbott, Mayo , Bell, Parker , Phillips, Marsh, Savage.
So we could bring in, Crouch, Higgins , Allison, Highmore, Wood, Hunter.

Frustrating as they were, did delisting Fiora and Birss make us stronger by allowing us to draft Begley and Cahill?
Did delisting Phillips or Savage make us stronger by bringing us Hunter.

Amazing that previous crappy trades and de-listed pickups were a good few in both those delisting years. ( Attard, Birss, Gardiner, Fiora, Abbott, Austin ).
Its kind of jerking off to delist players to bring in more spuds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way there will be 8-10 players gone by the end of the year. There'll be 6 max
What is that based on?

2022 - Hannebery, Geary, Ryder, Long, Kent, Lienert, Joyce, Kyle all last year
2021 - Carlisle, Dunstan, Lonie, Roberton, Frawley, McKernan, Clavarino, Hunter, Alabakis
2020 - Savage, Brown, Austin, Abbott, Phillips, Parker, Hind, Bell, Marsh, Langlands, Mayo
2019 - Steven, Acres, Newnes, Longer, Armitage, Bruce, White, McCartin, Rice, Young, Pierce, Rowe
2018 - Hickey, Freeman, Gilbert, Goddard, Stevens, Wright, Connellan, Minchington, Weller

Happens every year

If I hear one more time that all these injuries are because of our so called curse I will spew.

There has to be something to it. Players coming back from Long Term Injuries too quickly, pre-season too long, bad surfaces, road running, poor advice from sports scientists, too many physical contests.

I am also of the opinion that you can't train for a physical contact sport for 11 months of the year. You are just asking for injuries, every single contest (marking, tackling, blocking etc) is an opportunity for an injury to occur.

Agreed. People need to shut up with the curse nonsense

Agree with the last part too. I think AFL pre-seasons are way too long

If I hear one more time that all these injuries are because of our so called curse I will spew.

There has to be something to it. Players coming back from Long Term Injuries too quickly, pre-season too long, bad surfaces, road running, poor advice from sports scientists, too many physical contests.

I am also of the opinion that you can't train for a physical contact sport for 11 months of the year. You are just asking for injuries, every single contest (marking, tackling, blocking etc) is an opportunity for an injury to occur.
So true.

People think the no10 at st kilda is cursed. Just an excuse for poor list management and recruiting

Agreed. People need to shut up with the curse nonsense

Agree with the last part too. I think AFL pre-seasons are way too long

I also think some players like to be pre-season heroes.

Testosterone, contact sport, physicality.... leave your hard hits for when the real season starts.

Lets not forget some other daft pre-season injuries, Roughhead breaking Paton's leg.... then Max King's concussion by a golf ball.

Doesn't this sort of stuff happen when over-compensating for an injury? Injure one leg, grind the other ankle/knee/hip into the ground, and all the muscles/joints with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back