Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

But there was a clash cats v pies with traditional kits. North v Pies too - last game I went to a VP was pies v North and it was poor. Not impossible, but not as good as it should have been.
I meant there was never a clash with Carlton prior to the change to black base. The North and Geelong ones were worse you’re right

This GWS v Crows game isn't great.
Yeah. It's not the worst but geez they could do better.

Part of the problem I think is the anachronism that is "away team white shorts".

Would be much easier if the darker Guernsey (Adelaide's Navy) wore darker shorts.

Either that or Crows should have a white away top on

Although it isn’t a full colour clash, it’s just too busy with the similar colour black and yellow/orange.
GWS really should have a charcoal back on the home & a orange kit for away games. Not this Dark Front / Light Back bullshit that causes constant problems.

Rankine just gave the ball straight to a Giants player, no teammate within 5 metres.

Good to know it's not just Melbourne clubs the AFL can make a complete balls up with.
This is why the Crows need a white clash guernsey. our red one is no good so thats why we had to wear our home one with white shorts.

Do the eagles have the best clash jumper in the league? Would have to be in the running for sure. Wish we’d wear it as permanent away (where possible of course).

If it were with blue shorts and the eagle was coloured in it would be great. With the white shorts it looks a bit weak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS v Adelaide was a hate crime.

You can't wear a whole stack of yellow and red against a team in orange.

That said, the Giants don't make it easy. They are predominately dark (black, grey, charcoal whatever it is) on the front and orange on the back.

It's a lesser version of the disaster that is the Port jumper. You can't be dark on one side and light on the other and make it easy for teams to choose clash strips if their clash is based around a light/dark variation.

GWS have never really decided if the want to be orange or if they want to be charcoal. Although mercifully they finally got their heads around the Swans clash which for years made me feel physically ill watching orange and red bleed from my tv.

I've said this on here before, but the league has access to the fixture far too early for any of this to be an issue.

Literally just 1 person who has their head screwed on in AFL House needs to spend 1 hour of work over the summer, going through the fixture match by match and just provisionally selecting the kits that each team should wear for an ideal viewing experience. After that, it gets sent out to the clubs to make requests regarding special jumpers and other things and then it's set in stone for the year.

A lot of teams really need to invest in secondary colour shorts too, eg. St Kilda have finally done with their red shorts matching up with their red Crusader alternate kits. West Coast would be one of the bigger beneficiaries, white shorts with that yellow strip just doesn't look that good unfortunately, and I'd be happy for them to wear blue shorts even with it if they weren't up against North. Again - each game just needs to be decided case-by-case as per above paragraph.

Home team should wear home strip. Away team should wear clash strip. It should be simple
I think there are plenty of situations where the away team can wear home top/white shorts and have it look fine. I think blanket rules are the very reason we've got in this mess in the first place. Not saying what you said wouldn't work, it would most definitely.

Though I feel like the AFL should get out of the "kits" mindset, locking jumpers with shorts, and instead think about it more like a mix n match. There's been plenty of examples where teams' wearing their clash kit has been equally an eye sore (primarily due to the fact most teams don't have secondary colour shorts!).

1679272573631.png

This was North's home game last year so they were entitled to wear home/blue shorts, but thank the gods sanity prevailed and they simply swapped shorts colours with WB. This is a good example that the only thing the home team should be guaranteed is their home jumper to wear, the shorts subject to preventing clash.

I think there are plenty of situations where the away team can wear home top/white shorts and have it look fine. I think blanket rules are the very reason we've got in this mess in the first place. Not saying what you said wouldn't work, it would most definitely.

Though I feel like the AFL should get out of the "kits" mindset, locking jumpers with shorts, and instead think about it more like a mix n match. There's been plenty of examples where teams' wearing their clash kit has been equally an eye sore (primarily due to the fact most teams don't have secondary colour shorts!).

View attachment 1634596

This was North's home game last year so they were entitled to wear home/blue shorts, but thank the gods sanity prevailed and they simply swapped shorts colours with WB. This is a good example that the only thing the home team should be guaranteed is their home jumper to wear, the shorts subject to preventing clash.
Fair. Port wearing their white clash strip against Geelong would clash.

Every club should have a clash strip though.

Fair. Port wearing their white clash strip against Geelong would clash.

Every club should have a clash strip though.
And every club does it's just a matter of if they actually wear it or not in the instances they should

GWS v Adelaide was a hate crime.

You can't wear a whole stack of yellow and red against a team in orange.

That said, the Giants don't make it easy. They are predominately dark (black, grey, charcoal whatever it is) on the front and orange on the back.

It's a lesser version of the disaster that is the Port jumper. You can't be dark on one side and light on the other and make it easy for teams to choose clash strips if their clash is based around a light/dark variation.

GWS have never really decided if the want to be orange or if they want to be charcoal. Although mercifully they finally got their heads around the Swans clash which for years made me feel physically ill watching orange and red bleed from my tv.
Its the same with Port with the big white number panel on the back of a dark top. Allowing teams to have different front and backs (or side panels) is just nuts.

Its the same with Port with the big white number panel on the back of a dark top. Allowing teams to have different front and backs (or side panels) is just nuts.
It is whilst the AFL allows clubs not to have genuine clash strips, I.e totally different colours. Like a majority yellow or red wouldn't clash with Port's dark/light combo. But most clubs don't have that third colour strip, and I can't see the AFL enforcing it.

Carlton
Carlton-1873.gif

Collingwood
Collingwood-1897.gif

Essendon
Essendon-1873.gif

Geelong
Geelong-1859.gif

Hawthorn
Hawthorn-1902.gif

Melbourne
Melbourne-1858.gif

North Melbourne
North-1874.gif

Port Adelaide
Port-1870.gif

Richmond
Richmond-1885.gif

St Kilda
StKilda-1873L.gif

Sydney
South-1874.gif

Western Bulldogs
Footscray-1874.gif

Yes - Alot of respect there..........

Attachments

• Geelong-1897.gif
    Geelong-1897.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 22
We need to take a leaf out the UK’s book, they have an expert in colourblindness advise them - they don’t seem to listen all the time, as if it falls through the cracks at times.

Collingwood and Carlton wearing their home is untenable. Both dark shades.

Do the eagles have the best clash jumper in the league? Would have to be in the running for sure. Wish we’d wear it as permanent away (where possible of course).
I love that jumper too. Should be their home jumper in my opinion. The GWS all black one is close by.

We need to take a leaf out the UK’s book, they have an expert in colourblindness advise them - they don’t seem to listen all the time, as if it falls through the cracks at times.

Collingwood and Carlton wearing their home is untenable. Both dark shades.
it shouldn't be hard. all teams have a light and a dark strip, home club chooses, visiting club wears the opposite. somehow we have one club telling other clubs what the can and can't wear though so it's no surprise something as logical as this wont work.

it shouldn't be hard. all teams have a light and a dark strip, home club chooses, visiting club wears the opposite. somehow we have one club telling other clubs what the can and can't wear though so it's no surprise something as logical as this wont work.
No it shouldn’t - but Essendon took how many years to agree to a clash?
It shouldn’t be a matter of agreement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back