Preview Round 3, 2023: St.Kilda v Essendon - MCG, Saturday 1st April, 7:25PM AEDT *150 YEARS OF THE SAINTS*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 72.5%
  • Bombers

Votes: 28 27.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changes since last time they played

Essendon 6 Changes
Essendon Ins: Sam Weiderman, Alwyn Davey Jr, Kyle Langford, Will Setterfield, Darcy Parish, Jye Menzie
Essendon Outs: Peter Wright, Nick Hind, Ben Hobbs, Brayden Ham, Matt Guelfi, Andrew Phillip, James Stewart (sun unused)
Score Out: 6 out of 15 goals

St Kilda 7 Changes
St Kilda Ins: Dougal Howard, Liam Stocker, Mason Wood, Mattaes Phillipou, Zaine Cordy, Anthony Caminiti, Mitch Owens
St Kilda Outs: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Max King, Patrick Ryder, Zak Jones, Ben Long, Ben Paton
Score Out: 7 out of 11 goals

Saints/Lions goal comparison vs WB

Phillipou 3 / Gunston 3
Owens 3 / Hipwood 1
Caminiti 2 / Daniher 0
Gresham 2 / Cameron 1
Cordy 2 / Rayner 1
Wood 1 / Neale 1

Our makeshift forwards outperformed one of the best forward lines in the comp by a decent margin.

Changes since last time they played

Essendon 6 Changes
Essendon Ins: Sam Weiderman, Alwyn Davey Jr, Kyle Langford, Will Setterfield, Darcy Parish, Jye Menzie
Essendon Outs: Peter Wright, Nick Hind, Ben Hobbs, Brayden Ham, Matt Guelfi, Andrew Phillip, James Stewart (sun unused)
Score Out: 6 out of 15 goals

St Kilda 7 Changes
St Kilda Ins: Dougal Howard, Liam Stocker, Mason Wood, Mattaes Phillipou, Zaine Cordy, Anthony Caminiti, Mitch Owens
St Kilda Outs: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Max King, Patrick Ryder, Zak Jones, Ben Long, Ben Paton
Score Out: 7 out of 11 goals

You missed the only one that actually matters.

Ratten out, Lyon in

You'll get a front row seat tomorrow night to see why I am telling you (with great certainty) that is the only change that matters.
Enjoy the show.

Saints/Lions goal comparison vs WB

Phillipou 3 / Gunston 3
Owens 3 / Hipwood 1
Caminiti 2 / Daniher 0
Gresham 2 / Cameron 1
Cordy 2 / Rayner 1
Wood 1 / Neale 1

Our makeshift forwards outperformed one of the best forward lines in the comp by a decent margin.
Rayner is a bloody terrible number one pick. Glad we arnt the only ones to get it wrong

I hope we don’t s**t on Ben Long in the same fashion. The AFL is as transient as ever, we’ve done a wonderful job of retaining players so far (mostly because I think we’ve had a cushy environment but that’s a different conversation) but let’s not be a bunch of sad pricks when a player leaves to better his own life.
Pretty admirable what Nick has done given where he came from. Not many mature ages last more than a couple of years in the system.
Agree.
But generally its the ones who give the club a kick on the way out, like Bruce did, that understandably cop it.
Not 100% sure but I think Hind may have had a bit to say too, which is unfortunate because we gave him his chance.
No problem with Longy going for more opportunity and a better offer.

Generally though, if players choose to leave for a better payday then that's their right.
Its the reason why, although sad to see him go at the time, I would never blame BJ for doing so and am happy he's back.

Rayner is a bloody terrible number one pick. Glad we arnt the only ones to get it wrong
That was a tricky draft. Huge changes if we reranked them all now.
Some years it really pays to not have had the #1 pick!
But Rayner's still got time. LDU has only just come good, and still waiting on Clark and Coff. And he's far from the worst #1 anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone want a free ticket?
I was hoping for level 2 but settled for level 4 row D then the next day there was a level 2 so I got that as well, I paid the 90c for a refundable ticket so thought I could get most of the money back but now reading the fine print you need a doctors letter or some sort of evidence for why you can't attend.
Pretty annoying... I thought I'd just be able to click a button.

Anyone else perplexed by the Bomber's backline. Their tallest defender is Ridley who's probably going to roll off and try to intercept. Apart from him no one else is key position height. Could see the Hammer have a fairly dominant game in the air if the conditions are good.
Just finished looking over the team sheets myself, after being told by a mate the bombers would bully us.
First thing I said before looking was “did u see the way we played the last 2 weeks?”

But yeah a rather short backline compared to what we have faced so far.

Also their midfield is like
Snow White ( newly acquired ball butcher setterfield 192cm)
and the 7 dwarfs.

They are running a lot of talls up forward though, 2 kpFs (weed and Jones) +string and Langford both 190+ and another Nic Martin off the bench.

Scott Hall Post GIF

Anyone else perplexed by the Bomber's backline. Their tallest defender is Ridley who's probably going to roll off and try to intercept. Apart from him no one else is key position height. Could see the Hammer have a fairly dominant game in the air if the conditions are good.
I did say the same thing last year along with "King is gonna kick 12 with these short people".

Didnt work out for me.

Sinclair will get his one or two starts in the middle but that’s all we want from him. Windhanger will tag Merritt or parish and hopefully get some of his own ball as well. I don’t get the bytel thing but I’m nearly on my own there. Seems slow and doesn’t get a huge amount of the ball. Having said that I’d have him as sun ahead of Paton.
In my view, Bytel would be our cleanest mid skill wise, which is why I wanted him in and he had a decent game in rd 1. He isn't slow, but Windy would probably be our most explosive mid pace wise. Windy has a great opportunity to really stamp himself on a game this week

Youd hope that by the end of the year with a healthy list Bytel isnt getting a game (Windy, Steele, Jones, Crouch, Gresh, Clark ahead of him in the rotation).
Unless he comes on heaps.

But this week with no Steele no Jones and a forward line thats missing a stack of players (meaning Gresh needs to be up there more) hes a great depth option.

Yep and they’ll have to pull Langford back too I reckon. Leaving Weid and Stringer forward.
I reckon Wilkie will have joined the “raging erection” crew reading that.

We don't have all that many options for tall defenders ATM with Zerk going down.
Reid is getting over injuries and barely played any senior footy.
Stewart is injured again, and we are trialling Baldwin as a defender in the VFL.
The selectors would have deemed he needs more time at the lower level in a new role.

If we have to go into a game with a collection of medium tall defenders, this is probably the game with King and Membrey OUT.

Ridley, Laverde & Jake Kelly probably pick up Cordy, Caminiti & Owens.
Ive been told that Mason Wood is playing off a wing, but he will need to be watched floating forward.
He is playing some good footy.
Langford will probably spend periods in defence with the addition of Stringer and Weiderman back in the forward line, and he gives us a little more height and another mature body back there.

Redman will be released to play interceptor, and you should put some work into him.
He's flying.
I know we will do the same with Sinclair.

Its going to be an intriguing game.

Yep and they’ll have to pull Langford back too I reckon. Leaving Weid and Stringer forward.
I reckon Wilkie will have joined the “raging erection” crew reading that.
Battle seems like a great Stringer match up IMO too. Athletic and strong with just a good amount of prick about him.

String gonna be chasing the handsome bastard off half back all day too, not known for his cardio big Jakey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back