Autopsy 2023 Rd 4 Tall Timber Too Good for Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Roos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hewitt can’t run and if he’s not getting his hands on the ball like the last two weeks he’s a real liability. It’s a good positive for the side that he probably should be dropped. We don’t need to carry consecutive down performances from any mid any more. I love him. He’s just out of form and his lack of run is hurting right now.

It's a long season there is no point playing the injured players right now we need to keep the list as healthy as possible.

Hollands looks an absolute ripper. Gets everywhere he needs to, and just “gets it”. He had a centre clearance where he just leant on his opponent to move him under the ball, won it, then sensed the opportunity and hammered it forward fast. It was great.

We had North - who are not terrible this year - by 7-8 goals before switching off. It was a great second half. We always thought the big forwards would be too much and so it proved. Rapt with how Motlop is coming on.

The thing some third parties and commentators might miss is that our midfield was missing 3 key cogs - and George is clearly “just going”. North’s engine room is pretty good with LDU and Simpkin leading the way. This was definitely a danger area for us. The thought of Acres back on a wing and Kennedy and Walsh back into the midfield mix has me giddy. Guys who can run, kick, mark, just generally DO stuff.

PS - LOB should never play another game at the level.
True our midfield was missing 3 but it does not hide our lack of midfield depth ( we can't cover injuries-hoping carrol can develop) and lack of midfield dynamism. We struggle to change it up with outside types. Even Hollands had a go yesterday

10 goals between 2 forwards is a good days work anywhere except in the minds of those who actually believe they "should" have kicked 20 because opponents
BAHAHAHA! Poor assumption mind reader! Did I say they should have kicked 20? Did I say it was a bad day's work? Pay attention and actually read what is written rather than looking for something (that isn't there) to be offended by.

BAHAHAHA! Poor assumption mind reader! Did I say they should have kicked 20? Did I say it was a bad day's work? Pay attention and actually read what is written rather than looking for something (that isn't there) to be offended by.

You gave them a "C mark at best" but that was due to others poorly affecting their output? Strange

I think the knocks on LOB last night were mostly unfair.

One of few to match Roos physicality early on and competed well. Also had a few less than stellar moments. Fair to middling game.

Scrappy, contested game style did not play to his strengths...we were able to see some deft passes when the game opened up a bit.
Yeah. Tried to many times
see the positives. Sometimes I have Caught a glimpse.
I'm comfortable moving on. He may find a good spot on another list. We've given him every opportunity.
Just, no.
(Jmho)

I can't believe all the talk about "soft" or "lucky" free kicks that resulted in goals to us.
I was at the game, the replays on the scoreboard showed the infringements. Got home & saw the storm on social media, so watched a replay.
Charlie was clearly taken high twice in marking contests, and clearly tackled without the ball twice. They ARE free kicks.
One person's argument on Twitter that "yeah, but they aren't paid to any other teams" would indicate to me that the umpires in those other games are getting it wrong, not our game.
Was a terrible non-call re the too high on Zurhaar, but North kicked a goal just seconds later. It cost them nothing.
Enjoy the winning feeling again Blues fans. Don't let the haters take anything away from us.

I can't believe all the talk about "soft" or "lucky" free kicks that resulted in goals to us.
I was at the game, the replays on the scoreboard showed the infringements. Got home & saw the storm on social media, so watched a replay.
Charlie was clearly taken high twice in marking contests, and clearly tackled without the ball twice. They ARE free kicks.
One person's argument on Twitter that "yeah, but they aren't paid to any other teams" would indicate to me that the umpires in those other games are getting it wrong, not our game.
Was a terrible non-call re the too high on Zurhaar, but North kicked a goal just seconds later. It cost them nothing.
Enjoy the winning feeling again Blues fans. Don't let the haters take anything away from us.
I'll just say it once more cause it's that or study.

EVERY. SINGLE. CLUB. HAS. SUPPORTERS. THAT. BELIEVE. THEY. ARE. ALWAYS. SCREWED. BY. UMPIRES.

ours included

ergo, no club is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Want to see a substantial improvement on tackling.

Too many players seem to content with a simple single arm reach-out attempt.

And wayyyy too many players with "0" or "1" in the tackle column.
Wow. Fisher zero tackles. Does anyone else remember when he mowed down Stevenson in the third? I wonder how they count a tackle.

Seriously underwhelming performance. Beat a cellar dweller with no key defenders by 23 points. The ruthless winning attitude has to start now to win the flag this year. McGovern a big positive. AA quality 3rd tall.

No one actually knows what Cognilio said or how aggressive...on the limited vision we had it did look like he was pretty angry...think it's fine.

Lol you don't actually believe the AFL have instructed umps to give us favourable calls do you? Plenty of games where we've felt like we were on the wrong side. You win some, you lose some.
No I don’t…. what I said was tin foil head stuff

Fisher finding the ball a bunch more now that he is rolling deeper into defence and being part of chain out. However his decision making is still iffy and he runs into trouble because he is too left side dominant. Not sure he stays in that role long term.

Juxtapose that with Hollands, who already demonstrates he is is dual sided, can compete in a one on one contest and a good decison maker in and out of traffic.

LoB much better when we play fast and he can use his leg speed and kick in open play. Asking him to be at a stoppage when we play slow contested footy and to kick / handball in traffic exposes all his flaws. That why he performs better as a sub and why he got better after half time.

Our stoppage work in D50 was poor last night. We gave up way too many shots on goal. Outside of that i thought our defensive has collectively been superb. Have been all year.

** edit **
Call out to Cerra. In a poor first half for our mids, i thought he was terrific. His tackling and pressure was a highlight

Last edited:
bang - was there - and with 2 other live matches being played at the same time (remember that) all shaping the final 5 (?) it was exhilarating to say the least
Oh I remember we were first on the ladder Hawks needed to win we needed to lose for them to finish first. Back then it was the top 5 so minor premier got the first week off in finals. Can’t remember who the Hawks were playing but they were expected to win. But DLL day they were trailing whilst our game was a real tipsy turvey affair all day. With about 5 mins to go Hawks managed to win even though they looked like losing all day which meant we had to win.

All the side effects were enormous…. I still honestly believe that of sticks had t taken that mark and kicked that goal we would not have been premiers that year.

Back