Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Hawks fail to nail Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough on Chad, Simon. He had 16 touches and 4 tackles as well as 272 metres gained. Breust had just 7 touches and 75 metres gained. Chad's gain was decent enough whereas Breust had minimal impact. Breust has hit a patch of ordinary form and I would rest him and see he is able to return with his usual intensity and touch.
Yeh maybe a bit harsh on Chad but like I said he is pulling in $750k a year and I think it's time his output matched his paycheck. 16 possessions and 4 tackles is not $750k value.

Fergus is probably on a third of what Chad and Bruest are on but he is actually our best performing forward this year (a low bar to jump but still).

There is not that much of a difference these days.

Look at the likes of Charlie Cameron, Jamie Elliot, Toby Greene, etc.

All small forwards who can crumb a goal but they still lead and mark overhead like a key forward.

When was the last time you can recall Bruest or Wingard taking a strong overhead mark, hardly happens anymore.

My point is that Wingard and Bruest are two of our most senior (and highly paid) players and when I look around the league and see veteran players like Hawkins, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, etc still pumping out solid B/B+ games week in/week out and we have to settle for the very occasional flash of brilliance from Wingard and Bruest.

It’s not great.
Breust took one last week against GWS.

But yeah you're wrong anyway, key forwards are always going to kick alot more goals, it's the way it goes.

I always thought Nash had something special and was potential captaincy material, but I was not convinced he would make it until he was moved to the midfield. All he has to do now is work on this overhead marking and set shot kicking and he will be in the Petracca/Bont league. Two outstanding games on the trot makes me think he just might get to that level.
I think he’s marking is underrated, and although his kicking style is ungainly it usually hits it’s intended target.

Even if he becomes as close to being as good as the two you mentioned then we have very good player for many years to come

Didn't touch the ball in the last and went MIA when we needed him then. He's effort has improved, but his work around the ground is below par. Especially when we need someone desperately to be taking those contested marks when we slow it down.
Was at the game the majority of his marking opportunities were against a big pack or out numbered 3 to 1 and getting an arm held. We need to be patient he shows enough that indicates his best is still to come, just about when our mids will start to tear it up

I quite enjoyed watching that game…am I bad..?

Expression Reaction GIF by Steve Harvey TV

What grinds my gears is that Mitchell played a pretty solid game on Rankine today and but for the one moment of brilliance, people will overlook Mitchell’s performance
I don't think so. He's progressing very nicely. Got burnt by his teammates a couple of times.
Is Reeves really copping it after that game ?
Only from a few who are biased. He's had two very good weeks and is building nicely.

So was Hardwick and his effort was poor. Cheers
No? I just rewatched it again..

Hardwick goes to pressure the ball carrier, which leaves two of our other boys to pressure the man next to get the ball, which is how you're taught to defend, Seamus doesn't stick his tackle and Amon's arm is chopped off.

Rankine was OOB anyway.

All right anyone who mentions we were tanking in that last 5 minutes can get stuffed. That is just so ******* disrespectful towards the players who busted a gut for the jumper out there. You lot can go sit with Damian Barrett and eat s**t.
Not sure how many times it needs to be said but everyone knows the players aren’t tanking, but some supporters don’t mind the prospect of finishing last to get a generational talent like Reid to the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People still want Parish? Nash, Newcombe, Worpel, Ward, Amon, Day and Mackenzie building that group with the likes of MacDonald, Moore ect that can push through there as well.

Kosi looked the good in the VFL and Lewis coming back I think people can forget about getting Pick 1.
Good. That’s the sound of failure. Boys were fantastic today, you can’t fault the endeavour or commitment.
We will learn from this and that’s what I want. Errors made, lessons learned etc. It’s a hard road and long road but it’s the hawthorn way.
Sammy has them on the right track.

Great game from hawks for best part of 4 qtrs.
there were some obvious great players today, but my take on a few quieter players:
Long - probably makes way for ward this week. Not bad, but not great.
Lynch - really worried about his ability to finish a game. Likely to see Meek back
Brocky - could be anything. His best is electric but we need to find a way to get him more involved.
McDonald - ended up having an OK day, but he is not developing as quickly as we hoped. Classy and will be a player, but maybe a spell in sight?
Seamus - slow early but finished very strongly. Love his run.
Bruest kicks those couple he missed and he gets a tick. He didn't and he looks average. He will bounce back as class does.
Chad - loved his effort. Plenty of almost moments that will turn for him if he stays on the park.
Reeves - another good game and building nicely. Obrien was in the best last week v blues, so this is a big tick.
CJ - a worry early but finished well. He needs to fix his fumbles.
DGB - did his job well and is developing just fine. Must persist.
Out this week - Lynch, Long and possibly Frenchie as managed and possibly McDonald. ....someone unlucky.
In ward, Daniel Day Lewis. Meek
Maybe CJ sub and Scrim in the 22.

Last edited:
What grinds my gears is that Mitchell played a pretty solid game on Rankine today and but for the one moment of brilliance, people will overlook Mitchell’s performance

Rankine is seriously good though. The ground somehow looks bigger - I reckon about a foot wider? - whenever he gets the ball ...

You can't train that...

No? I just rewatched it again..

Hardwick goes to pressure the ball carrier, which leaves two of our other boys to pressure the man next to get the ball, which is how you're taught to defend, Seamus doesn't stick his tackle and Amon's arm is chopped off.

Rankine was OOB anyway.

Correct and his effort to pressure the ball carrier was poor, leading to Rankines goal. However yes, was OOB.

Not sure how many times it needs to be said but everyone knows the players aren’t tanking, but some supporters don’t mind the prospect of finishing last to get a generational talent like Reid to the club
That dream is never happening we wont finish last no matter how hard u dream about it

Correct and his effort to pressure the ball carrier was poor, leading to Rankines goal. However yes, was OOB.
You can only do so much in that situation, it should've been HTB because you can't handball it to yourself, but the ump didn't pay it, he had pressured front on and make him release the ball to Rankine who was on the boundary line with 2 hawks players pressuring him, hardly a poor effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back