Autopsy Dogs get the job done for Bonty's 200th

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale & Baker were big as that game opened up in the 2nd half, plenty of drive from both, along with JJ at hand back.

Midfield was a bit meh all round, but nice to see other players pick up the slack. Can’t rely on Bont, Macrae & Treloar to dominate every week.

Jones (both Liam & Arty) are very important. Liam is our best defender by the length of the Flemington straight.

Lobb receives way too much criticism on here. Did people think we were recruiting Buddy Franklin? He kicks his goal or 2 a game & is a very handy relief ruck. Has his limitations, but is playing his role.

Take the 4 points and move on.

Last edited:
Newcombe played ok, but turning to face away from the CB and to Bont and try to hold him back before the ball is bounced, rather than on the umpire/ruckmen shows that ultimately, in Bont terms, Newcombe is a hack.

Think they prepared it before the end of the game so it reflects the situation half way through the last.
If thats the case then Id say that was incredibly amateurish.

However, I did source it from AFL.com. So theres that...

Last edited:
Fox not showing Bont chaired off or the song absolutely pathetic.

If it was a Dangerfield or Cripps it would have been shown live.
They showed it a bit later, during the preamble to the next game. I’ve noticed they do this when games follow each other closely.

Hailed Bont as he came off. I don't think he understood, as is his modest brilliance. The rest got a thumbs up lol. I believe we are better than what we got for 2 quarters today.

Anyone know what the crowd numbers were. Seemed huge
40k and change

Frustrating game, but the 4 points is all that matters. Small percent boost going from 90.3 to 96.7 and that last quarter looked really good. I don’t think Hawthorn are as s**t as people made them out to be especially with Lewis. Some of the hysterics in the game thread were way overblown and to be 4-3 with the Giants next week is a good position.

Liam Jones was huge and saved us a few goals in the first half when they were piling on the pressure. Tim didn’t have his best rucking game but his around the ground presence was huge in the end. Glad we got the win for Bont what a player he is. A win's a win and I'm glad we dealt with the pressure in the first half and were able to take control from there.
The game day threads are always pretty disturbing.
Combine lonely people, a sporting contest, and the internet, and you generally get a pretty disgusting end product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dale & Baker were big as that game opened up in the 2nd half, plenty of drive from both, along with JJ at hand back.

Midfield was a bit meh all round, but nice to see other players on the pick up the slack. Can’t rely on Bont, Macrae & Treloar to dominate every week.

Jones (both Liam & Arty) are very important. Liam is our best defender by the length of the Flemington straight.

Lobb receives way too much criticism on here. Did people think we were recruiting Buddy Franklin? He kicks his goal or 2 game & is a very handy relief ruck. Has his limitations, but is playing his role.

Take the 4 points and move on.
I popped into the game day thread and just as quickly popped out when I saw the torrent of abuse for Lobb.

It's almost like some people have not tracked his career at all. He has never been a high possession accumulator of the ball.

Nor has he been a particularly agile defensive asset. Something that shouldn't come as a surprise given his height.

What he is a a player who can regularly kick a couple of goals and play as a relief ruckman. From time to time he will kick 4-5 but not very often.

The main attribute he brings to the side is us never again having to see a midfielder contest a centre ruck contest when English is off the ground. Let alone if he gets injured.

Lobb is tracking just fine for mine.

Last edited:
I was at the game he was c-grade personified
Seemed to do well on tv and stat wise, 10 disposals 5 tackles 2 behinds. If they had been goals that’s a solid game for a small forward.

Until someone stands up to take that small pressure spot in the VFL I see him having a spot in the team

I popped into the game day thread and just as quickly popped out when I saw the torrent of abuse for Lobb.

It's almost like some people have not tracked his career at all. He has never been a high possession accumulator of the ball.

Nor has he been a particularly agile defensive asset. Something that should come as a surprise given his height.

What he is a a player who can regularly kick a couple of goals and play as a relief ruckman. From time to time he will kick 4-5 but not very often.

The main attribute he brings to the side is us never having to see a midfielder contest a centre ruck contest when English is off the ground. Let alone if he gets injured.

Lobb is tracking just fine for mine.
I’d be pretty keen for him to to treat his set shots from 20 like he does from 50. The guy can roost them. Freo fleeced us in the trade but he serves a role each week helping Naughton and Marra so can’t complain

Glad to get the win - gee a few in the backline look cooked. Duryea and Keath.

Thought Baker had a good game. He keeps it simple.
Baker had most metres gained (590) for either side on the night.

It's not the most conclusive of stats to go by but it at least tells you he was very much involved in the game. Anyone who tops that stat is usually among the side's best (unless they turn it over every time they go forward).

Top 4 were:
Baker 590​
Dale 570​
Bont 401​
Johannisen 386​
Richards 324​

Most weeks our best on that stat are Dale, Richards and Baz.

I’d be pretty keen for him to to treat his set shots from 20 like he does from 50. The guy can roost them. Freo fleeced us in the trade but he serves a role each week helping Naughton and Marra so can’t complain
Given his contract status at the time and the glaring hole in our list that he filled. I think paying the premium Freo asked was ok.

Speaking of which. Its not like he's on Luke Jackson dollars given they're essentially playing the same role.

Baker had most metres gained (590) for either side on the night.

It's not the most conclusive of stats to go by but it at least tells you he was very much involved in the game. Anyone who tops that stat is usually among the side's best (unless they turn it over every time they go forward).

Top 4 were:
Baker 590​
Dale 570​
Bont 401​
Johannisen 386​
Richards 324​

Most weeks our best on that stat are Dale, Richards and Baz.
He gets it and goes which is refreshing given some of our guys wait for that perfect option. We looked to attack through him quite a bit. Nice pick up for free

He gets it and goes which is refreshing given some of our guys wait for that perfect option. We looked to attack through him quite a bit. Nice pick up for free
Bingo! The amount of times he’s marked the ball and just taken a quick 20 metres before launching us deep is so handy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back