Preview Round 10, 2023: GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st May, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have won our last three encounters against them, certainly no hoo-doo against the Giants since Jeremy Cameron moved to Geelong for "lifestyle" reasons

Predicting a win this weekend

It also felt like they kicked a bunch from outside or just on 50 which allowed them to avoid our defensive set up.

Yeah a couple in junk time or after the siren to s**t all over our hard work we did getting back into the match. Some days in any sport, you have a game where everything falls your way or everything seems to go against you. Fortunately we are having less of those. A strong mature side with heaps of experience has ways to lock those down and minimise the damage but we aren't quite there yet. At least they aren't as common these days.

Im hoping our midfield can get going again this week - although Tom Green will take some stopping. With Ming back lets also hope our forward line also starts functioning again and makes the most of the F50 entries. KIng & Caminiti playing alongside is going to be intriguing and hopefully a setup that carries us for years to come.

Saints by 30 points.

From my perspective our weakest spot over the last month doesn't seem to have been addressed.
Our mids have fallen into old habits and instead of making a statement we are giving them another chance.
Hell to be honest, Steele should be rested. Even if passed fit. I want a fit hungry Steele leading the team. But he is clearly struggling.

If this is the year of exploration as people have stated on here, then let's see some of the future ply their trade. Especially in the middle.
We don’t need to be making rash “statements” at the selection table just yet.
Prior to last week we were 6-2 with our losses coming against top 4 sides by a combined 13 points.
Yes last week was very poor, but I’m happy to give the boys who have got us to 6-3 the benefit of 1 poor game before making sweeping changes.

You’d think half this forum were bipolar the way we carry on in here.

We’ve made 3 changes and brought in 3 best 22 players in King, Gresh & Webster. We don’t know who is out yet. That’s decent enough change for this week and I’m sure the coaches will have whoever underperformed on notice for the next week or 2.

As for Windy, if he dominates again like he did last weekend he WILL come in. That’s a given.

Everyone needs to relax a bit

Prior to last week we were 6-2 with our losses coming against top 4 sides by a combined 13 points.
Yes last week was very poor, but I’m happy to give the boys who have got us to 6-3 the benefit of 1 poor game before making sweeping changes.

We’ve made 3 changes and brought in 3 best 22 players in King, Gresh & Webster. We don’t know who is out yet. That’s decent enough change for this week and I’m sure the coaches will have whoever underperformed on notice for the next week or 2.

As for Windy, if he dominates again like he did last weekend he WILL come in. That’s a given.

On Windhager, I think a more reasonable move would have been to have Windy in the squad instead of Bytel, with Windy not necessarily making the final 22. Not even being in the 26 man squad is what has most people upset.

Im hoping our midfield can get going again this week - although Tom Green will take some stopping. With Ming back lets also hope our forward line also starts functioning again and makes the most of the F50 entries. KIng & Caminiti playing alongside is going to be intriguing and hopefully a setup that carries us for years to come.

Saints by 30 points.

Is this where we see King and Hammer fly for the same ball , clack heads, and the defence run off with it.

On Windhager, I think a more reasonable move would have been to have Windy in the squad instead of Bytel, with Windy not necessarily making the final 22. Not even being in the 26 man squad is what has most people upset.
I agree with you. But I can also see what the coaches may be thinking.

Windy hasn’t had a chance to get full games yet. And I think they really want him to spend 90-100% time in the middle to try and fastrack him and as Bachelor said, work on his defensive spread and transition.

He won’t be there for much longer, especially if he keeps playing the way he did last week.

Yeah a couple in junk time or after the siren to s**t all over our hard work we did getting back into the match. Some days in any sport, you have a game where everything falls your way or everything seems to go against you. Fortunately we are having less of those. A strong mature side with heaps of experience has ways to lock those down and minimise the damage but we aren't quite there yet. At least they aren't as common these days.
This is 100% true and its impossible to plan for or really rationalise afterwards. In 2018 my personal team was flying that year (made finals) and we were almost undefeated late in the year. Came up against the bottom of the ladder team who proceeded to beat us by 4 goals. Just could not rally, even at half time and were just perplexed at the end of it all. s**t happens sometimes.

Is this where we see King and Hammer fly for the same ball , clack heads, and the defence run off with it.
Genuinely reckon we'll see a lot of them spoiling eachother by crashing the same packs. Haven't played together before, might not be a lot of chemistry yet.

How is it rash when the mids as a group have not been up to scratch for the past month?

We talk about selection integrity and there would be at least 2 of our midfield brigade that haven't set the world on fire and 1 who really should be rested.

Could have even handled him being named in the 26.
Last 2 matches
27 and 1.0
37 and 3.2

Not bad numbers to me.

How is it rash when the mids as a group have not been up to scratch for the past month?

We talk about selection integrity and there would be at least 2 of our midfield brigade that haven't set the world on fire and 1 who really should be rested.

Last 2 matches
27 and 1.0
37 and 3.2

Not bad numbers to me.
Agree - been fair to ordinary since quarter time against Port.

Horne Francis (10 coaches votes so RTB must have thought he went all right!) exposed our midfield as one paced & none of our mids could go with him. We‘ve been off against North (who are a shambles) and Adelaide (not just the mids but RTB blames an inability/unwillingness to spread).

I don’t claim to be an expert but reckon Windy might have been just the man for JHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely reckon we'll see a lot of them spoiling eachother by crashing the same packs. Haven't played together before, might not be a lot of chemistry yet.
They've been training together for weeks and part of the same forwards line meetings, so you'd think they'd know the drill of where and when to lead

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

They've been training together for weeks and part of the same forwards line meetings, so you'd think they'd know the drill of where and when to lead

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree Im sure Caminiti and King have been working together for sometime. Hammer will know he is mostly there to block for Max and hopefully if Max has the chance he does the same.

I would also rather see Phillipou used in that role predominently, rather than flying for everything against his team mates. Stay down block and use his smarts when the ball hits the ground. He has said Banger has told him to go for his marks, thats all well and good when he is not competing against his team mates and dragging his opponent into the contest. I think he was more dangerous around the goals when he stayed on the ground.

Last 2 matches
27 and 1.0
37 and 3.2

Not bad numbers to me.

Because you're not being entirely accurate.

Our mids got thrashed against Carlton and beaten by the Crows. Probably the only 2 games this year we've been badly beaten in the midfield.

Looking forward to going to the game. I went there for the first time Rd 1 2021 when we just got home. Great ground to watch footy at. Fortunately the weather looks a lot better than that day. There was massive flooding all around Sydney.

Going to the Harbourside Saints function so at least will enjoy part of the day though hoping we put in a much better shift than the past few weeks which I think would see us win with a few goals to spare and really enjoy it.

The interstate away games always brings out the fun side in Saints supporters from my experience.

They've been training, together i assume. Lets see if Banger is worth his salt as a forwards coach.

No surprises with Paton and Sharman the ones dropped for Webster and Gresham, good to see that Steele looks good to go for Sunday, we'll need him.

The sub will probably be either Bytel or Paton, I would go with Bytel to give us some added midfield strength if required and as a back up for Steele.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back