General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

yeah. me and kong against the world.

but kong's a good one so pretty ok with that.

kong and I have posted about this before (Kong much much much much more extensively than I). i quoted a post from Kong in which they say "I'm happy to stop posting in this thread until the next opportunity in a year or two" for a reason you know.

It's a tool of death. We're not talking planes, jets or weather balloons. the bomber's job is to **** s**t up. like...that's what it is. So all these comparisons to animals and mythical creatures to man-made killing machines as some kind of gotcha is so much weirder than just being "yeah I'm ok with the logo and name" which is a perfectly valid opinion to have (just like, I hope, people are able to accept that someone having the opinion that they're not ok with the logo is also a perfectly valid opinion). Like...no-one's gonna drop a napalm bomb and kill you for that opinion, it's fine. Last time this discussion was had I had to make a post pointing out that Demons are, in fact, not actually real which I hope did not come as a shock to anyone.
Except that to be demonic or devilish is an apt description for the tendency of humans to do evil things. A demon image is a symbol of that evil, the same type that would deploy a bomber to bomb civilians. Is that what all bombers are used for? No. Is it an absurd argument? Yes.
The same bombers effected the rescue of Jews and saved the Pacific from the tyranny of a militarised Imperial Japan. And their pilots were given an awful task but had to be courageous to carry it out, and thank goodness they did. My support of this doesn't mean I'm pro-war, it just means I understand context and nuance and perspective. It's a symbol for a sports team whose players, I'd hope, embody the same spirit as those pilots, many of whom were heroes, as distasteful as that may be to some. But again, cheering for this footy club is a choice. There are 17 other clubs to choose from, but their names are wack.
I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

It's a symbol for a sports team whose players, I'd hope, embody the same spirit as those pilots, many of whom were heroes…
brilliant… just brilliant!

Surely the issue with a plane is the amount of fuel they use, we need something carbon neutral.

Go the Balloons!
Balloons end up un the ocean and kill the sea animals.

Is there drone bombers that are solar/battery powered now?

just the logo. An article I read said there was no intention at all to change the nickname

In that case I don't see why the logo wouldn't have a Bomber aircraft in the logo. Keep it symbolic to the historical meaning of it.

Leave it open to interpretation and you'll get dickheads who have no interest in doing some basic historical research saying we're promoting terrorism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was Essendon wanting to use the logo from the 80’s I grew up with. I love a good logo refresh but pls dont wreck it.

I guess the perception of warplanes changes a bit when there are graphic images of the destruction and suffering that they've caused in Ukraine, rather than being the aggressor with all the associated propaganda (in the 40s, 70s, 00s) and floods of romanticised war hero pilot movies being shoved down your throat.

Probably wouldn't like cannons, big cats and glorified seagulls so much if they were actively hunting us or our friends down either.

Happy to change the logo regardless, old and blood stained as it is, even if it was another plane. Given we're on airport property, it makes sense, and I don't think they're changing the club song?

I have never seen a mock up of a replacement logo that I actually liked though.

Perhaps a stylised version of a De Havilland Mosquito from WWII, an old club might as well have a historically inspired logo. Give it a red sash.

View attachment 1716987

Or an actual mosquito made to look like either a pilot or stylised as a diving/"flying up" plane shape...

View attachment 1716981 View attachment 1716982

If people are upset by a logo that's been around for almost 100 years they have too much time on their hands.

You can take a negative position on anything and everything these days, i could run through every single AFL team logo and put a negative spin on it.

The Essendon Coteries and the logo can just be a dollar sign

Let the real masters take full control once and for all.

I'm not sure who's idea it was to bring the plane into the logo but why are they mixing politics with sport?!!?!??!

Plane on logo has been there since the 1940's, obviously because of WW2.

Zero need to change it.

Back