General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

8CB14106-6E12-45B0-A34F-2532235508C7.jpeg

Monochromatic is and always has been 🔥

Could update the font and fiddle around with some minor elements and have it done next week if they wanted

View attachment 1717567

Monochromatic is and always has been 🔥

Could update the font and fiddle around with some minor elements and have it done next week if they wanted
hmmm… notice how tiny the logo is here?

they are conditioning us for it’s removal

Sorry to intrude but interesting subject matter.

If the intent to change your logo is to appease the SJW's then don't. The SJW revolution is slowly dying off anyways. You only have to look at the film & movie industry to see the amount of flops are being released with SJW agendas and the negative audience response.

I think your current logo is fine however most clubs want a refresh every now and then.

I know our club has intentionally dropped our Power (AFL) & Magpie (SANFL) logos over a club specific logo to combine the two teams and lose the need for nicknames. I am not sure if you club should go that route as your Bomber identity has been around since the 1940's.

I do not take offence to war machines even though there is a conflict in Ukraine. A conflict that I am closely following because of my Polish & Ukrainian heritage.

The B-1 Lancer which your current logo is modeled off is a pretty bad ass aircraft which is capable of supersonic flight. Would you want to revert to an older bomber like the B17 Flying Fortress?

1200px-B-1B_air_refueling.jpg

B-1 Lancer

636328732977021733-Flying-Fortress.jpg

B17 Flying Fortress
Yes to Flying Fortress.

Flicking through some old trademark registrations, all registered to the AFL (not the club). Was hoping to find a clean copy of Essendon in monochrome but not to be.

Found some other interesting s**t though.

This design was apparently for cufflinks and tie pins 30 years ago:
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.35.11.png

This one is for cardboard cut outs and print media:
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.38.29.png

Not sure what this is for but apparently the MCG was not always the home of football... registered ~1992
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.39.01.png

There are also lapsed wordmarks for "Fremantle Hammers" "Fremantle Mariners" "Fremantle Stokers" "Fremantle Dolphins" "Fremantle Courage" and "Fremantle Union" – presumably the names that were considered before Freo became the Dockers. Also a couple of mock up logos for a couple of them:

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.43.35.png Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.43.28.png Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.43.13.png

There's also this which... I dunno why they didn't use it tbh. Looks great;

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.44.03.png

Then we have Port's other potential names... "Port Pirates" "Port Mariners" "Port Sharks".

Gold Coast could've been the "Gold Coast Marlins", "Gold Coast Stingrays", "Gold Coast Rays", "Gold Coast Ironmen", "Gold Coast Guards".

And then there are wordmarks not associated with a particular team, could be GWS or GC; "Rangers" "Stallions" "Pride" "Wolves" "Stars" "Stingrays" "Surf".

There's also a trademark and logo for the Tasmanian Devils, but that's been there for years (not just since the team was officially announced).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just trying to catch up here, and appreciate any input from more informed individuals. Is the whole point of this logo redo to get rid of the warplane image as we don't want to be associated, or some people find war related branding offensive?
Club is considering updating the brand

It’s a long term project, so we’re talking years before any decisions bear fruit

They did a brand survey of members in February but didn’t specify what it was for, so a lot of people either missed it or forgot about it

The new logo may or may not include a plane.

I think someone also said something about tweaking the colours? Presumably a different shade of red and/or less silver.

The nickname and song will still be the Bombers regardless

The whole thing about being offended by war imagery seems to be a small group of people on bigfooty and nothing more than a brainfart from the Herald Sun on a slow news day other than that

The club has conducted a research project and is considering feedback from multiple stakeholders, including members.

The club is keen to know if the wartime aircraft is considered inappropriate in the 21st century.
Gee wiz, you could nit pick any other logo in a similar matter.

For starters using animals as a logo could be seen as insensitive to the animals that suffered from human interaction. I.e. Tigers, Lions, etc...

Calling Carlton the Blues is insensitive to blind people who cant see colour.

Back